Good low impact exercise idea's???

Options
Help I am 44 years old have bad knees and hips (because of my obesity) and need some good exercise Idea's that are low impact. I am determined now to turn my life around and get healthy and it is sooooo discouraging that I can't work out. I have always been able to do about anything I set my mind to and it is hard to accept that I can't now because of the abuse my body has taken. Any advice on good workout material that may help would be very much appreciated!!

Replies

• Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Swimming is low impact and a great way to burn calories. You could look for a health club that has an indoor pool and water aerobics. If not, any old pool will do. Good exercise and good fun.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Swimming and cycling are the best low impact exercises. Even the elliptical is good. When you start out, start slow and don't be surprised if you cannot do more than a few minutes. Go as long as you can, rest until you feel recovered to go another few minutes. Work up to 15-20 mins of work in a session and you will be on your way to doing 30 min or more in no time! I would also reccommend doing some strength training. If you can afford it, find a trainer who will be able to work with you and your health issues. Not all trainers are created equal and some have more experience working with the obese and middle-aged populations than others.

I will also say that you can lose weight without high impact/high intensity exercises. 80% of weight-loss happens in the kitchen. If you change your eating habits, you will be successful. Eat as "clean", meaning little to no processed food, and portion control along with journalling your food, will help so much.

Good Luck to you!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Swimming is ideal. Elliptical machines aren't bad. Cycling isn't bad either. Belly dancing classes are a lot of fun, and there are plenty of lower impact aerobic DVDs.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Search the forum for other posts about low impact posts and responses.
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    Walking, swimming, stationary bike, elliptical, yoga and then you can add strength training, upper body stuff.

Silver sneakers is chair aerobics maybe they have a DVD you can do at home or check out you tube.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/low-impact-exercises-exerciseroutines/2010/12/16/id/380127

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardioworkouts/a/lowimpact.htm
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I also suggest dance. Not high impact aerobics. I'm not even suggesting anything professional. Just turn on the radio and dance. Move your arms and legs, shake your hips, twist a little. Start off just ten minutes in the morning. It really gets the blood pumping. Do another ten minutes or so at lunch. Do 10-15 minutes in the evening. As you can, add time.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT HOW YOU LOOK. You know what they say, 'dance like no one's watching!' Just feel it! And keep moving. As you burn calories and drop some of the weight, motions will become easier...and more fun!

For me, it was the best exercise that didn't feel like exercise!
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Tai Chi is easy on the body but very effective.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Low impact exercises-
    Swimming and biking if you have access.

Walking and yoga rock.
    Walk Away the Pounds videos, kind of a no-impact aerobics.

HTH
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting healthy! :flowerforyou:

1. Swimming or walking in the pool
    2. Walking for short distances several times a day
    3. Lifting weights with your arms
    4. Mini trampoline
    5. Stationary or recumbent bike
    6. Elliptical
    7. Yoga classes labeled "gentle, better backs, beginner"
    8. Tai chi
    9. Stretching
    10. Rowing/kayaking
    11. Exercise videos (there are lots at my local library) labeled for seniors, those with arthritis, etc.
    12. Resistance bands
    13. Dancing in your chair. :D

HAVE FUN!!!!
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Another vote for swimming. Our local High School pool has open swim and also does some water aerobics thru the parks and rec department. Both really low cost! Also, I have a friend that called a local hotel and she has been able to do laps in their pool as well (doesn't hurt to ask). I'm not a strong swimmer and am lucky to be in good health. Normally, my exercise of choice is running but let me tell you when I do get to a pool it really is a great workout! Or, is walking an option for you? I wish you all the best!
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone - Walk away the pounds.
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Another vote for swimming. Our local High School pool has open swim and also does some water aerobics thru the parks and rec department. Both really low cost! Also, I have a friend that called a local hotel and she has been able to do laps in their pool as well (doesn't hurt to ask). I'm not a strong swimmer and am lucky to be in good health. Normally, my exercise of choice is running but let me tell you when I do get to a pool it really is a great workout! Or, is walking an option for you? I wish you all the best!
    Yes I have been walking and doing eliptical and stationary bike but I feel like it is so inadequite because I can only go about ten minutes and crater. I am so disgusted with myself for doing this damage to my body but I figure better late than never to turn my life around.. :embarassed:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Power Yoga. :)

I like Jillian Michael's DVD for yoga ($8 at Target) or Trainer Bob's warrior yoga (he often has DVD sales for $5).

Or take a class.

Fully body workout. It's where it's at!
  • sherri85
    Options
    I also suggest dance. Not high impact aerobics. I'm not even suggesting anything professional. Just turn on the radio and dance. Move your arms and legs, shake your hips, twist a little. Start off just ten minutes in the morning. It really gets the blood pumping. Do another ten minutes or so at lunch. Do 10-15 minutes in the evening. As you can, add time.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT HOW YOU LOOK. You know what they say, 'dance like no one's watching!' Just feel it! And keep moving. As you burn calories and drop some of the weight, motions will become easier...and more fun!

For me, it was the best exercise that didn't feel like exercise!
    Great idea my daughter has country dance II for the wii!! I never thought about that thanks!! :wink:
  • sherri85
    Options
    Swimming and cycling are the best low impact exercises. Even the elliptical is good. When you start out, start slow and don't be surprised if you cannot do more than a few minutes. Go as long as you can, rest until you feel recovered to go another few minutes. Work up to 15-20 mins of work in a session and you will be on your way to doing 30 min or more in no time! I would also reccommend doing some strength training. If you can afford it, find a trainer who will be able to work with you and your health issues. Not all trainers are created equal and some have more experience working with the obese and middle-aged populations than others.

I will also say that you can lose weight without high impact/high intensity exercises. 80% of weight-loss happens in the kitchen. If you change your eating habits, you will be successful. Eat as "clean", meaning little to no processed food, and portion control along with journalling your food, will help so much.

Good Luck to you!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I have been loosing it's just kinda embarrasing when I log my exercise how little I do.. I really am trying hard though!!
  • sherri85
    Options
    Walking, swimming, stationary bike, elliptical, yoga and then you can add strength training, upper body stuff.

Silver sneakers is chair aerobics maybe they have a DVD you can do at home or check out you tube.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/low-impact-exercises-exerciseroutines/2010/12/16/id/380127

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardioworkouts/a/lowimpact.htm
    Thanks so much for the links I will check them out!! :flowerforyou:
  • sherri85
    Options
    Thanks everyone all your comments have been very helpful!! :flowerforyou:
  • hrtoftx
    hrtoftx Posts: 32
    Options
    I dont have anything diferent then waht anyone else has posted. I started with yoga and Wii workouts because I have a bad back and knee. Yaga really helps in working and stretching. I always feel better after a workout. You say your daughter has a Wii....there is so much you can do with that.....you can burn calories with the Wii Bowling.

And listen.....the whole point here is that you are trying! Dont put yourself down for where you are....build yourself up for where you want to be!!!! IT has to start somewhere. We all cant start out with the high powered workouts. HEY!! Youre doing something....and that is a huge start that a lot of people havent done!!!!
  • sherri85
    Options
    I dont have anything diferent then waht anyone else has posted. I started with yoga and Wii workouts because I have a bad back and knee. Yaga really helps in working and stretching. I always feel better after a workout. You say your daughter has a Wii....there is so much you can do with that.....you can burn calories with the Wii Bowling.

And listen.....the whole point here is that you are trying! Dont put yourself down for where you are....build yourself up for where you want to be!!!! IT has to start somewhere. We all cant start out with the high powered workouts. HEY!! Youre doing something....and that is a huge start that a lot of people havent done!!!!
    Thanks so much!! I needed that pep talk!! :bigsmile: