Ups and Downs

Options
So, for the past few months I have been feeling great. Doing really well (comparatively) with my nutrition/diet, and doing really well with my fitness. I've been motivated, inspired, and energetic. I was going to the gym and/or working out at home with the P90X program 6 days a week.

Since May of last year, I have lost over 70 pounds and am now as healthy/fit as I have ever been, and almost at my lowest weight (I'm about 10 pounds from my "best" weight of 175 - when I was in college).

Lately, though, I feel like I'm losing my drive. I've been getting the 'munchies' more often - eating a lot more than I should be, and not the best quality food. I haven't been motivated to work out (I've still been working out 6 days per week, but reluctantly and only for about 30 minutes, as opposed to the 60 or 90 I had been putting in).

I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong - except that I've been feeling kind of discouraged about one thing. Although I feel fitter, healthier, and have been fitting into clothes that stopped fitting years ago, and although people really see the changes in me - I recently discovered that I'm still considered "Obese" in the medical community.

As a 5'4" tall male with a smaller frame, the "Normal" HIGH weight for me would be 145 pounds. So, that's my goal. But here I am, all this hard work done, all these goals set and accomplished, weight just 183 pounds and I'm still OBESE? I didn't think it would bother me, at first, because I know other things - like body fat % and hip-to-waist ratio are fare more accurate... but everyone goes off this stupid BMI #. It's the standard that everyone knows. At work, I have a health assessment coming up (in 10 days) and in order to qualify for reduced health insurance, you cannot have a BMI over 30. That's it. My BMI, based on height and weight, is 31.4. To hit that 29.9 mark, I would have to lose 9 pounds in 10 days....which I know I can't do.

Ultimately, I understand (logically) that I shouldn't let this bother me - but it is. I have been so overweight for so long, that being told now -after all this effort- that I'm still OBESE... and have to go through that whole "Overweight" zone for another 40 pounds before I'll be considered "Normal" - well - it's just frustrating and exhausting.

This is the first time since May of last year, when I really started this fitness journey, where I feel like just tossing in the towel. I know (or hope) that I WON'T do that... but still... the feeilngs are there.

Not sure what I'm trying to get out of this other than getting this disappointment and frustration off my chest.

Replies

• drexs_kk
    drexs_kk Posts: 15
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't let the situation stress you cause stress alone can cause weight gain/loss. I know how you feel about becoming discouraged. I try not to check into the BMI, fat %, etc cause it discourages me when it's too high or not dropping any lower.

You've done an awesome job at what you have lost. Just pay attention to how you've been doing and the success you've already made. Dieting is a long term goal in my opinion. If you lose it too fast, you'll put it right back on pretty quick and it's not worth it.

If you've lost your drive, stop doing so much and just get enough exercise in to maintain until you can pick back up the drive you've lost. Don't do like me and eat when you're feeling discouraged or driveless. lol :(

Good luck and keep your head up. I'm sure you're doing great. Don't stress, keep it up. Don't let the job situation get to you either. You can only do what your body can do.

-KK
  • jdancer369
    Options
    I know that can be really frustrating to come all this way and feel great but still not be "normal" It is frustrating to have others dictate where you should be and can really hamper your progress. Try to not let it bother you. know that where you have came from and where you are and where you are going is great. You have made great changes and that is all that matters right now. I use to work for a co that did all these work screenings. Everyone that I screened was really frustrated with the way the system works. Tall thin but muscular men had a too high bmi who looked in great shape. thats why its most important to be okay with where you are on your path! YOU ARE DOING GREAT! also see if your co would let you do the screening in a month when you can lose the weight since you are so close and have come so far.
  • massagecailin
    Options
    You said so yourself that you're doing a great job. You look amazing and have gone through a lot. Your body may just be responding to that. Don't forget, this journey puts stress on your muscles and tissues as well. Maybe you should take some time for yourself, doing things that are healthy but not necessarily fitness-oriented. The weather is nice, just take a leisurely walk or hike (if you can) for an hour, enjoying the sun, instead of making sure that it's for 30 or 60 minutes. Go to your local farmer's market when it opens, and try new foods, or feel good about buying local and fresh. Give your body time to recover. Just some ideas.
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I hear what you're saying...after ALL this time, ALL this effort, it seems for naught. But it isn't. You started and followed the path to getting better and you're there! The SCALE might not say you're there, but you are. But that doesn't mean that you can stop and let everything get back to where you were. Because where you were was not where you were happy. You needed a lifestyle change, and that's why you're doing this. Not to be able to go back to "normal". You are now NORMAL and shooting for another normal.

I would suggest trying other ways to exercise. Something else, something daring that you would have not normally done back at the "old" normal. Like a triathlon or half marathon or something that excites you. Try out NEW healthy foods, experiment and learn. Be OK with changing things up, don't be OK with the old normal.

And listen to your old self who put that ticker picture up "Never, Never, Never give up" He's asking you to keep going for him. Because he's worth it!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Lots of great thoughts and advice - thanks everyone! :)
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Adam, I'm super sad that you're feeling this way since we both know I would NOT have started eating better if it weren't for you telling me I really needed to three months ago haha. You have a lot to be proud of. You DO NOT look obese. You look really healthy and I'm sure your partner thinks you look fabulous as well. Just think of all the hard work you've put in and don't look back! You will look super great for your wedding, I really believe that! Keep going! Try training for a special event, like me and the 5K. It will give you something to look forward to and work towards.