Upped my calories, and now I'm gaining.

Options
I recently upped my calories from 1200, and I now eat above my BMR but below my TDEE. I work out 6 times a week. A week into this whole thing, and I'm up two pounds. It's incredibly discouraging. Is this supposed to happen or am I just not cut out to eat more calories?

I'm stressing big time.

Replies

• LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Firstly. Breathe. Weight loss or gain is never permanent. So if you truly gained 2 lbs this week, it is not permanent.

Secondly, I'm not sure why, but this is something I've been hearing for years both in my personal life, and every time I've used a site like this to knock off baby weight. (this is time number four as I now have four kids), people eating too little, and not understanding why they haven't lost much, upping the cals and immediately gaining. And it's complete science as to why this happens.

If you're eating a certain amount, and you up it, and gain weight, that's a sure sign youe been eating too little and your body is now doing what it can to store food because it's not sure when you're going to starve yourself again. (not saying you're actually starving yourself, but this is how your metabolism "thinks".)

You need to be truthful in your profile on your exercise level and then eat what they recommend.

Eta for stupid iPad autocorrect.
  • heatherrose86
    heatherrose86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Give it time... your body was like "OMG FOOD" and hoarded it all because before you weren't eating enough. Hide the scale, maybe? I upped my calories on Wednesday, but I wasn't at 1200 before.

Mon: 1370
    Tues: 1370
    Wed: 2500 (that poutine was delicious)
    Thurs: 1600
    Fri: 1600
    Sat: 1800
    Sun: 1800

Today: down 2.6 over last week.

I think the massive amount of calories I had on Wed made my body freak out, but I can't be sure. I have lots to lose though... you look smaller than me and probably have less to lose. Just be patient. From what I've read a gain is expected for most but it should drop off soon.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I recently upped my calories from 1200, and I now eat above my BMR but below my TDEE. I work out 6 times a week. A week into this whole thing, and I'm up two pounds. It's incredibly discouraging. Is this supposed to happen or am I just not cut out to eat more calories?

I'm stressing big time.

When you initially increase your calories, you can expect an initial gain, so don't panic. It is not fat, unless you ate 7000 extra calories on top of maintenance.

It is most likely water weight as your glycogen is being replenished.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • kdiment
    kdiment Posts: 31
    Options
    All right, this is good to know. I'll try not to be too alarmed yet. I only have about 15 pounds to lose, so seeing a gain of two made me feel a little unhappy.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am in the same place as you, I upped mine about a week ago...as of today i'm up almost a pound, but i'm not going to freak out, i'm going to wait a good month or so before I really decide if it's helping. I do feel quite good eating these extra calories for sure.
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I'm stressing big time.

Me too! Except I am up 3lbs!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I'm stressing big time.

Give it 3-4 weeks then re-evaluate, your body fluctuates day to day, so you need time to see a trend.

When you initially increase your calories, you can expect an initial gain, so don't panic. It is not fat, unless you ate 7000 extra calories on top of maintenance.

It is most likely water weight as your glycogen is being replenished.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/

This is a great answer, and is the most likely case.
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Surely increasing calories would make sense to do it gradually rather than suddenly? to avoid shock? :)
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    All right, this is good to know. I'll try not to be too alarmed yet. I only have about 15 pounds to lose, so seeing a gain of two made me feel a little unhappy.
    Very smart. And it sounds like you just changed your goals, but make sure you aren't set more than 1 lb/week with that little amount left to lose. Personal note: I upped my cals 3 weeks ago, and gained 2 lbs the first week, stagnant the second, but lost 1 lb last week, and 1.5 this week... it takes some time, but your body adjusts :drinker:

**EDIT - grammatical
  • carrie1013
    carrie1013 Posts: 129
    Options
    I think I needed to see this post. I am in the same place, gained 1 lb after increasing my calories a week ago. I was so discouraged and so frustrated, I didn't really log over the weekend. I feel a bit better after seeing this :)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are a WEEK into this!! Not six months or a year - your body does not have a calendar - and after starving it for how long, it will not do what you want it to do RIGHT THIS MINUTE....
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It's just temporary. The extra will go away if you stay with it.
    I've been on maintenance since November, and I've been under by 2 and over by 3 as I've searched for the right level.
    This week, I'm the same as last week -- no loss, no gain -- so I think I'm close.