Tricep push downs and butterflys, can barely do any weight o

Options
I can only do 15 lbs on tricep push downs and butterflys and I really struggle with the butterflys. Is there something else I can do in addition to these, this seems to be my weakest point so far. Butterflys make me want to cry like a baby and I am able to maintain proper form through the tricep pushdowns it's just everytime I try to increase the weight I just can't seem to do more on
those.

I've progressed to much higher weights than when I first started on everything else (I know it's still not much but shoulder and chest press are both up to 100lbs and lateral pull downs are at 80 lbs so only being able to do 15lbs on these others seems crazy)

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, my triceps are incredibly weak. I can lift a decent weight on pull downs and chest press etc, but as soon as it gets to anything tricep-y, I die. Doing 45lb pull downs then 15lb tricep exercises is a little embarrassing for me in the gym!

I'm working on it by rowing more, doing press ups (if you can't do "real" press ups like me, do girly ones or against the wall) and plank exercises. The press ups and planks can be done at home too, just to keep working those muscles.

But I'm no expert, I've only upped my tricep weights by 5lb since January, I want to keep an eye on this thread!
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    I feel your pain, my triceps are incredibly weak. I can lift a decent weight on pull downs and chest press etc, but as soon as it gets to anything tricep-y, I die. Doing 45lb pull downs then 15lb tricep exercises is a little embarrassing for me in the gym!

I'm working on it by rowing more, doing press ups (if you can't do "real" press ups like me, do girly ones or against the wall) and plank exercises. The press ups and planks can be done at home too, just to keep working those muscles.

But I'm no expert, I've only upped my tricep weights by 5lb since January, I want to keep an eye on this thread!

Thanks, that makes me feel better at least. I do girl press ups, I usually do 4 sets of 20 every other day but can only get about 8 real ones in on my first set LOL.
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    No other input or suggestions?
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have your tried free-weights rather than the machines? Overhead extensions or tricep kickbacks with dumbells are great. Also scull-crushes with a barbell. Remember to watch your form. Do not use momentum for the kickbacks. Elbows tight to your side or ears for the kickbacks and overhead extensions. Work your way up with your weights and even try my nemesis, the tricep dips. HATE them but my trainer makes me do them along with narrow stance tricep pushups.
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    Close grip bench presses are phenominal at building strength
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the amount of weight you move. Actually this is a macho thing in the gym between guys : ) Too many people lose form trying to move more weight, guys especially. Concentrate on the muscle you're working.
    As long as you struggle those last three reps then you're putting in the work and you will see results in strength and fitness over the long run.
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    Have your tried free-weights rather than the machines? Overhead extensions or tricep kickbacks with dumbells are great. Also scull-crushes with a barbell. Remember to watch your form. Do not use momentum for the kickbacks. Elbows tight to your side or ears for the kickbacks and overhead extensions. Work your way up with your weights and even try my nemesis, the tricep dips. HATE them but my trainer makes me do them along with narrow stance tricep pushups.

I do have some dumbells I can try, I stay away from free weights for the heavier stuff because I have seizures (been seizure free for almost 3 months with change in diet and medication) and since I work out alone I am afraid I would hurt myself but I think i know what you are talking about, I will look them up, I tried the tricep dip and could only do a few but found another video where the lady shows some for a beginner so I am going to try those again.
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the amount of weight you move. Actually this is a macho thing in the gym between guys : ) Too many people lose form trying to move more weight, guys especially. Concentrate on the muscle you're working.
    As long as you struggle those last three reps then you're putting in the work and you will see results in strength and fitness over the long run.

LOL thanks, I am not hung up on the number so much as really needing to build strength. I am going into Crisis and Disaster Management and will be doing field work this coming winter and want to make sure that I have enough strength to join the disaster recue teams.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Disagree. You should worry about the weight you move if you are looking to increase your strength. Progressive loading is key. If you can't add weight as you progress then obviously what you are doing doesn't work. Those people in the gym worried about what other people think are pathetic. I lifted for years doing the split body routine with little success. Now I only do compounds and when I started my current program I only had one plate on each side for squats, even though I knew I could lift more. This was so I could focus on my form and do the exercise correctly. Squats alone I increase the weight by 10 lbs each week.
  • joec63
    Options

Disagree. You should worry about the weight you move if you are looking to increase your strength. Progressive loading is key. If you can't add weight as you progress then obviously what you are doing doesn't work. Those people in the gym worried about what other people think are pathetic. I lifted for years doing the split body routine with little success. Now I only do compounds and when I started my current program I only had one plate on each side for squats, even though I knew I could lift more. This was so I could focus on my form and do the exercise correctly. Squats alone I increase the weight by 10 lbs each week.

I think we're on the same page as I said if you're struggling with the last three reps then the number on the weight is irrelevant..
  • joec63
    Options

LOL thanks, I am not hung up on the number so much as really needing to build strength. I am going into Crisis and Disaster Management and will be doing field work this coming winter and want to make sure that I have enough strength to join the disaster recue teams.

Good luck