Is it bad for you to exercise everyday ?

Options
I have been exercising every day. I am doing the 30 Day Shred everyday and I also throw in some jogging in throughout the week.

Is it bad to exercise everyday? Some people say that is important to have rest days in between. Others not.

What are your opinions ?

Personally, I don`t know how exercise can be bad for you....it is better than sitting on a couch eating a bag of potato chips.... but since I am not an expert , does anyone know how it affects the body?

Replies

• timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Personally I have found that on rest days my body does recover! I go back into my exercise routine with much more ummphh than without any rest days:)
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Working out the same body part with weights everyday is not good for you and can actually hurt your progress. Say you do a leg workout on Monday and you do another leg workout on Tuesday, your muscles haven't had any time to rebuild themselves. Muscles need a day or two to recuperate and rebuild themselves so they can become stronger.

It is okay to workout a different body part each day though :)

As for cardio, many people run on the treadmill everyday or jog everyday. That's not horrible for you, but if you want to see more progress a better thing to do would be to switch up the type of cardio you are doing everyday. Your body gets used to exercises when used continually day in and day out so switching it up is a good thing.

But rest days are very important for you physiologically. So don't deprive yourself of those :)

Hope this helps. :)
  • Char_marcus
    Char_marcus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    sometimes it can over tax your muscles, or even damage them, and not giving them time to recover can cause problems later on, they will retain more water and you may find that you don't lose weight or even yo yo with your weight.

I personally found that exercising everyday made me sore, & didn't want to exercise and my weight stayed the same, since i have been introducing rest days i am much more motivated, and feel better ! I don't sit around on my rest days i usually clean or do my shopping and errands.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Rest is a key ingredient in exercise. Simple as.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So when it comes to The 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels.....30 days of exercise.... 7 days / level (3 levels).... why would they get people to do these DVDs for 30 consecutive days ?

There is so much information out there it is hard to know what is true and what is good for my health and my body.

I really appreciate you all for leaving me some feedback. I will take the time to read all of your responses.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It can depend on how hard you are working out and what you are doing for your workouts, what your routine is like and how much sleep you are getting. You can have active recovery days: for example, go for a 30 minute walk or do some stretching instead of doing 30DS.

Google "overtraining". If you have any of those symptoms, you will know that it's time to back off.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    So when it comes to The 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels.....30 days of exercise.... 7 days / level (3 levels).... why would they get people to do these DVDs for 30 consecutive days ?

There is so much information out there it is hard to know what is true and what is good for my health and my body.

I really appreciate you all for leaving me some feedback. I will take the time to read all of your responses.

Because 30 days may/may not be enough time to cause any damage. But training daily (depending on what you're doing) will eventually fatigue you and cause injuries.
    I train almost every day, but very different exercises.
  • misti17
    misti17 Posts: 106
    Options
    Sugar,
    I also do Jillian Michaels 30DS, I've done it once the full 30 days no rest, had amazing results, then just went to doing some other things, now I am doing it again, on day 8 of my next 30. I will not take rest days. The workout is only 24 minutes, and it's not lifting heavy weights. Then I am moving on to her Ripped in 30, but in that one, she tells you to rest each week. YOu only work out 5 days a week. Hope this helps.
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    Bump
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    1) You can rest when you're dead
    2) Listen to your body
    3) See number 2
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have found that the two most important thing to enable you to successfully exercise every day are:

1. Eat enough to support the energy demands.
    2. Sleep enough to suppport the recovery demands. (7 to 9 hours minimum daily)

Cutting short on either of these will run you down.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have found that the two most important thing to enable you to successfully exercise every day are:

2. Sleep enough to suppport the recovery demands. (7 to 9 hours minimum daily)

solid (and too often overlooked) advice.
  • mmlyn
    mmlyn Posts: 8
    Options
    There is a great saying that, "you don't grow IN the gym".

Your body needs rest to recover. You should listen to your body. A 30 day fad program may work for 30 days, but that is not a sustainable approach.

M
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

2. Sleep enough to support the recovery demands. (7 to 9 hours minimum daily)

Quoted for truth!! Rest days are important because you will inevitably need them for holidays/time off so that you do not get burnt out. You need a flexible routine and something that you know you can sustain for a long period of time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Sounds like mostly cardio so you can do it every day without harm.

2 things to keep in mind tho. Eventually you may wear down or burn out. And if your weight maintenance depends on 7 hardcore workouts per week and you drop it to 2-3x per week, you may gain weight back. Best to make sure your diet will be sufficient to maintain weight than totally rely on exercise
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I have seen posts that say Jillian has been quoted saying that 30DS was not intended to be done for 30 days straight, and she was surprised people were doing it that way. Arguably, the title of the workout sort of suggests that, but I think in most if not all of her subsequent DVDs, she recommends at least one rest day.

Personally, I always take at least one day off a week, more if my body tells me to! :tongue: And a rest day doesn't mean couch potato status - take a walk, go for a fun bike ride - you can still be active, just no strenuous stuff.