HELP from a YOGA expert

Options
I am really interested in doing yoga, questions are. Can you do yoga the same day as lifting, I lift heavy. I have had 7knee surgeries on my RT knee so I cant kneel on that one(ouch)? Will it loosen me up I have that muscle bound syndrome not a lot of flexibility..... Brian

Replies

• BuckeyeBoi
    BuckeyeBoi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would love some input!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    yoga is all about stretching, and any strength is using your own body weight ... so I would say YES, especially since all the stretching will help those sore muscles feel better from lifting. In my opinion, I don't get a great work-out from yoga in terms of being tired - I like it, but it's not a big calorie burner.

but, ultimately, listen to your body and see if it's feeling capable.
  • BuckeyeBoi
    Options
    I want to elongate my body as best as I can
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would think yes. Yoga has helped my flexibility and core strength, so i think it would go along nicely with lifting on the same day. If a certain move in yoga is painful for your knee, the teacher should give you an alternative so that you get teh same benefit as everyone else.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I don't understand this sentence. What is your goal?
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There are so many types of yoga out there it's a hard question to answer. Each yoga instructor will teach differently. With the exception of Bikram yoga which will be the same class no matter where you go.
    Try a lot of different classes to find one you like. Talk to the folks at the studio and they will be able to help you choosing a suitable class.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    yes, you can do both. I would do the weight training first though, and the yoga after.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I would start slow. If you can find a local studio, do that. Talk to the owner/teachers. Start with light Hatha and Yin Yoga. These will focus on opening the hips and the shoulders (the gateways to the spine that improve flexibility). Vinyasa Flow Yoga is a major calorie burner, but focuses less on flexibility. I went through Yoga teacher training last year. Yoga is the answer to most of life's problems. If you want more detailed info, feel free to contact me or add me or BOTH! Good luck!
  • BuckeyeBoi
    Options

flexability and the lengthening of my body, not as squatty which I am told yoga would do
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I love yoga. Before yoga I had zero flexibility, especially after a hard workout. But wow, now I can do things I've never been able to do. And It's really nice after a day of lifting to get a relaxing stretch. Good luck.

I really like this book:
    Yoga Anatomy-2nd Edition
    Leslie Kaminoff (Author), Amy Matthews (Author)
    It was $12.00 on Amazon & shows all the poses, & muscles utilized.

Edit:
    Most poses can be easily modified by using props such as blocks, towels, or cushions. When my knees are bothering me I modify the sitting poses by putting a towel or cushion between my tush & ankles.
  • BuckeyeBoi
    Options
    I am stoked now thank you all for input this is so awesome!
  • LilyGrey
    LilyGrey Posts: 18
    Options
    I think it'll really help. It might not be a great calorie burn, but it has lots of other benefits. As for doing yoga with an injured knee and low flexibility, it's perfect. Just do what you're capable of doing and don't move on to higher level moves if your body isn't ready for them.

My knees have already got stronger and less painful after just a few sessions.

I think it's definitely worth it =)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for people with limited flexibility or even with injuries. You need to talk to a few teachers and find out who is best suited to work with you. Definitely look into Hatha or even Iyengar yoga. They will be easier, and they tend to have the time for you to work with props to support your body in proper position. But you have to find a teacher who will be willing to take the time to work with you to get you into all the proper modified position.

If you were in my area, I'd suggest the guy I've been learning from. He ONLY teaches beginner yoga so he helps everyone with modifications.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    As others have said, talk to the teacher before the class, tell him/her your issues and ask if he/she can modify any moves that would be difficult for you.

I think yoga would be a great complement to weight lifting - to stretch out stiffness, increase flexibility and focus on building different muscles. I did Hatha yoga and found it worked every part of my body. Some moves were easier for me, some were harder, but you should just do what you can do and not push it if it hurts. Be gentle and you'll improve over time.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I would definitely start by looking into the different types

Perhaps this guide to some major types of yoga will help:
    http://life.gaiam.com/article/which-styles-yoga-should-you-try

I will say that depending on the level, Iyengar can be taxing on the muscles and I wouldn't recommend doing it the same day as you lift, unless you do it post lifting. Otherwise, I don't think you'll get the most out of your lifting.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am really interested in doing yoga, questions are. Can you do yoga the same day as lifting, I lift heavy. I have had 7knee surgeries on my RT knee so I cant kneel on that one(ouch)? Will it loosen me up I have that muscle bound syndrome not a lot of flexibility..... Brian

Go to a class with a good instructor and tell him or her your limitations and he or she will give you the necessary modifications.

I see no reason not to do it on a lifting day. It will probably help you not be sore.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    yes, you can do both. I would do the weight training first though, and the yoga after.

Im not an expert, I have been doing yoga off an on for about 10 years and tried a gamut of different classes. I have always found that stretching after working out means less stiff muscles later. If you go up to the instructor before class and let them know your concerns with your knee they can offer alternatives to poses (some teachers automatically offer an alternative for speople with ensitive back/knees)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options

Yes, you can do yoga the same day as lifting.

7 knee surgeries?!?! You definitely need an experienced teacher (I'm a teacher, I would send you to a more experienced teacher to start - someone with 20-30 years experience, is a good place to start) to help with the knee. Any moderately experienced teacher should be able to modify poses for you.

I googled "muscle bound syndrome" and didn't find much. What is going on? Are you extremely tight or do you have something else going on? Please let me know, someone may come into my class and say the same thing.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

flexability and the lengthening of my body, not as squatty which I am told yoga would do

You can't lengthen your body as such - that's kinda fixed by your bones, but yoga does help with posture, so some people appear taller after they've been training a while. Actually, they're just standing up straighter. I think to decrease the "squatty" you'd probably have to lose some muscle and I'm not sure that's what you want.

I'd definitely recommend yoga for flexibility. It has made my life more comfortable.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You can't lengthen your body as such - that's kinda fixed by your bones, but yoga does help with posture, so some people appear taller after they've been training a while. Actually, they're just standing up straighter. I think to decrease the "squatty" you'd probably have to lose some muscle and I'm not sure that's what you want.

I'd definitely recommend yoga for flexibility. It has made my life more comfortable.

Yes, it will make you more flexible and improve posture. But, as the PP said, you can't make your body longer than it is.