Would you be willing to give advice on my food diary?

Options
I would GREATLY appreciate some feedback on what I'm chowing down on the past few weeks. I go to the gym 6 days a week cardio mixed with strength training classes. I'm also adding in the Insanity workouts 2-3 days a week.

I try to eat 4-5 small meals a day but snacks are definitely my downfall. I'm not really losing pounds and i'm so frustrated. I have maybe lost 3-4 pounds but it always fluctuates between the same few pounds.

Any advice would be great. I'm a 30 year old, 5'4 woman with about 25-30 pounds to lose. I quit smoking 3 years ago and put on some weight. During that time I also stopped going to the gym for about a year (so dumb!). It seems like ever since I quit smoking and gained weight I just cannot get it back off no matter what I do. I tried Medifast 2.5 years ago and lost 14 pounds that way but put it back on and then some when i stopped. I tried weight watchers 1.5 years ago and lost 8 pounds and then plateau'd for a while and gave up. Then i tried a women's health meal plan about 8 months ago, lost maybe 5 pounds on that and then gave up. I don't know if doing all these different diets really messed me up good or i'm just doomed! My next step is going to a nutritionist but they are expensive so i'm hoping tracking my food will help.

I started tracking in February on spark people then moved to here so the month of March is all that is filled in.

Anyway, if anyone is willing to offer advice, I would be every so greatful! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Couple things I see - but did not dive real deep into your diary"

Your daily calories went up since last week (was like 1500 now 1800) - did you change that? Even with that you are not always eating your targets. Some days you are considerably under.

The other things I see is a carb rich diet that you are close to achieving but you are leaving protein under target. Can you up that protein somehow - even if it means shorting carbs a bit to do it?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    From what I see, you need to be eating your exercise calories. I know it sounds like counterproductive, but MFP already calculates a deficit for you. I PROMISE you will lose weight eating 1500+ calories a day. I am losing about a pound a week (I weigh 135) and I eat well over 1600 calories a day. Try eating back at least half of the calories that you are burning through exercise. Your net calories should NEVER fall below 1200, and you have days where it is below 900.

Your protein consumption looks really good, and you appear to be eating a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits and good lean proteins. Overall, looks great, just add more calories. Try some more calorie dense foods like nuts and avocado. Your fat consumption may be a little low.
  • Mmkburgers
    Options
    I also had a hard time with snacking. I recommand fruit....fresh or in a smoothie. I also have nuts in my desk at work. Sometimes when I crave chocolate, I do eat 70% all natural DARK chocolate but the keys only break off two squares and put the rest away. It does take time to train you mind. So I hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else. PS Think POSITVE :happy:
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I would GREATLY appreciate some feedback on what I'm chowing down on the past few weeks. I go to the gym 6 days a week cardio mixed with strength training classes. I'm also adding in the Insanity workouts 2-3 days a week.

I try to eat 4-5 small meals a day but snacks are definitely my downfall. I'm not really losing pounds and i'm so frustrated. I have maybe lost 3-4 pounds but it always fluctuates between the same few pounds.

Any advice would be great. I'm a 30 year old, 5'4 woman with about 25-30 pounds to lose. I quit smoking 3 years ago and put on some weight. During that time I also stopped going to the gym for about a year (so dumb!). It seems like ever since I quit smoking and gained weight I just cannot get it back off no matter what I do. I tried Medifast 2.5 years ago and lost 14 pounds that way but put it back on and then some when i stopped. I tried weight watchers 1.5 years ago and lost 8 pounds and then plateau'd for a while and gave up. Then i tried a women's health meal plan about 8 months ago, lost maybe 5 pounds on that and then gave up. I don't know if doing all these different diets really messed me up good or i'm just doomed! My next step is going to a nutritionist but they are expensive so i'm hoping tracking my food will help.

I started tracking in February on spark people then moved to here so the month of March is all that is filled in.

Anyway, if anyone is willing to offer advice, I would be every so greatful! :flowerforyou:
    Maybe increase the serving sizes on your carbs, like instead of 1/4 cup of rice try 1/2 cup. I think that you eat great your carbs are just too low. It would also give you more energy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are definitely under eating. Doing insanity alone will require your body to eat 1800 calories. They programs are intense. So add that with going to the gym and you should be packing down some calories. Lets put it like this. I just worked with a 36 year old female (who used to eat 1200 calories and do only cardio) to do weight training for 4 days a week, doing NO cardio and eating 2100 calories a day on WT days and 1800 calories on non WT days. Here is the response I received.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"

So you need to eat or cut back on some exercise. Also, don't look to mix cardio and ST on the same days as your body can fight for resources and you won't get the most out of things. My suggest is do insanity only or do insanity 3 days a week and WT 3 days a week where you lift very heavy so you fail at 8-12 reps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/504130-why-i-m-not-for-cardio-and-resistance-concurrently
  • kvigo821
    kvigo821 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat between 1300 and 1400 calories a day. I was eating 1500-1700 per day for a few weeks but wasn't noticing any changes so I cut it down more. I have messed with the goals settings and now I"m not sure how many calories I should be eating to be honest.

When I add in my exercise for the day, the daily goal changes. But I don't wan to eat too many calories a day because I thought the point was to burn more then you take in.

How do you cut down on carbs when fruit counts for so many? I only eat whole grains and I always measure a small amount like 1/2 cup or less.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am trying to eat between 1300 and 1400 calories a day. I was eating 1500-1700 per day for a few weeks but wasn't noticing any changes so I cut it down more. I have messed with the goals settings and now I"m not sure how many calories I should be eating to be honest.

When I add in my exercise for the day, the daily goal changes. But I don't wan to eat too many calories a day because I thought the point was to burn more then you take in.

How do you cut down on carbs when fruit counts for so many? I only eat whole grains and I always measure a small amount like 1/2 cup or less.

Use the link below and post your estimated BMR and exercise routine. I can show your how many calories to eat. Also, a few weeks isn't enough to gauge how successful something is. You need to give things a month.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • kvigo821
    Options
    You are definitely under eating. Doing insanity alone will require your body to eat 1800 calories. They programs are intense. So add that with going to the gym and you should be packing down some calories. Lets put it like this. I just worked with a 36 year old female (who used to eat 1200 calories and do only cardio) to do weight training for 4 days a week, doing NO cardio and eating 2100 calories a day on WT days and 1800 calories on non WT days. Here is the response I received.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Stephanie"

So you need to eat or cut back on some exercise. Also, don't look to mix cardio and ST on the same days as your body can fight for resources and you won't get the most out of things. My suggest is do insanity only or do insanity 3 days a week and WT 3 days a week where you lift very heavy so you fail at 8-12 reps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/504130-why-i-m-not-for-cardio-and-resistance-concurrently

so the scale didn't move for her but the inches came off? and she ate 2100 calories a day? I'm definitely doing something wrong.

I try to do Insanity on the same days I take spin so 2-3 days. Then the 3 days I do weight training, I only do that.

Is it possible to workout too much??
  • psuLemon
    Options

Stephanie"

so the scale didn't move for her but the inches came off? and she ate 2100 calories a day? I'm definitely doing something wrong.

I try to do Insanity on the same days I take spin so 2-3 days. Then the 3 days I do weight training, I only do that.

Is it possible to workout too much??

I am not saying it's too much working out, but if you like to workout that much,then you should be packing down 2000+ calories. Heck, maybe even 2500+ calories.

Options - exercise less or eat more. Your choice. Also, I posted a link, post results.
  • kvigo821
    Options
    I still don't understand how eating more calories helps you lose weight?
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Think of your body like a car. Your car needs gas to run. You can't expect it to run for hours on half a tank.

You can't expect your body to function 110% without giving it proper fuel. Food is your fuel. When you eat 1200 (one day you were at 11--) and exercise off 500 cals your body only has 700 calories to run on. Not nearly enough.

Redo your goals. Aim for 1-1.5lbs loss per week. The site will have set you up for a deficit large enough to lose that amount of weight. When you add in your exercise it tells you to eat more because you already have a deficit and your body NEEDS the fuel!

Eating too little doesn't mean more loss.