Mac & Cheese

Options
I have a bit of a closet weakness for Mac & Cheese. I've been doing pretty well in trying to keep it in moderation. Does anyone have any good/healthy recipes of this or a modified recipe of mac and cheese? Keep in mind I don't eat meat, any other suggestions I'm open to and would be most appreciative of. :)

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/three-cheese-macaroni-cheese-10000001835274/

I made this one recently, and although it was not mind-blowingly amazing, it was pretty decent! Cooking Light has a ton of calorie-conscious mac & cheese varieties though, so if gorgonzola is not your fave I suggest searching their site for other varieties :)
  • CrazyFly7
    CrazyFly7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check out the cooking light website. Awesome. :) Is Mac and Cheese one of your weaknesses too?
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Ohh I love it. Especially with the crispy topping, which is why I tried this particular version. Most things with cheese fall into my weaknesses though! I have gotten very creative in making healthy pizza, for instance. Can't live without it, so have to find a way to make it low-cal!!
  • kdiment
    kdiment Posts: 31
    Options
    I made this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/lighter-baked-macaroni-and-cheese.html

It was delicious. I cut back on the onion a little bit though, since I'm not too keen on the onion taste. I also put broccoli in mine.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this! I LOVE LOVE homemade mac and cheese. One of my absolute favories. The paula deen one is to die for. I havent had it in a couple months and am wanting some mac and cheese! Will watch this thread!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ohh I love it. Especially with the crispy topping, which is why I tried this particular version. Most things with cheese fall into my weaknesses though! I have gotten very creative in making healthy pizza, for instance. Can't live without it, so have to find a way to make it low-cal!!

would you mind sharing your healthy pizza recipe?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there really is no low-calorie mac&cheese... Macaroni and cheese are two ingredients that add up calories FAST!
    BUT, I will say that my mother made a mac&cheese recipe that substituted a cup of grated carrot for some of the cheese. It didn't make a difference in the taste, and it was less creamy and not absolutely amazing, but it was pretty decent.