Tough Time with diet and excerise with disabilities

Options
I have back issues and it is hard to get out and exercise when I hurt.

It takes a good couple of hours of loosening up to get to the point of being able to move around enough to go to the store.

I have been trying to watch what I eat but I'm my own worst enemy. It is hard to stick with it. My appetite goes insane unless I get exercise and out of the house.

I've been on again and off again on the diet and eating right.

Exercise just proves to be a painful experience. I have problems walking and I wish I didn't cause I would like to walk our dogs everyday. Good weather and fresh air to help both dogs and myself out.

I bought a bike yesterday, a cruiser style with one speed. It keeps me more upright. I figure that is the best thing for my back. It also has big springs on the seat with lots of cushion.

I'm hoping I can start doing that everyday for short trips. Lose some weight.

I fell about 10 feet, hit the back of my head first and one doctor said I broke my back in the military. I gained about 100 lbs while recovering and getting my mental abilities back after about 1 year.

Now 4 years later I want to return to my athletic lifestyle I have always had. I did martial arts and lots of outdoor activities many times a week then the military after that.

I guess my goal with this thread was to get advice and receive some encouragement. It seems much harder @35 then it did even at 31 when I had these injuries. Seems like a huge mountain.

Thank You in advance for any responses.

Replies

• mohitsarmy
    Options
    I have also been thinking about what people do for diet and such.

Fresh veggies last only a few days. How often do people go to the store?

How much money do people spend on food generally? I'd want to incorporate the wife in the diet plan too.

Anyone have an example daily routine? how much they go to the store and preparing the meals each day.

When I was athletic and in shape I could eat and do whatever and still maintain with the active lifestyle.

I learned zero up to this point about practical healthy eating. I know all the basics about what to eat but I have no clue about putting it to practice. The VA has a nutritionist that helps educate on what to eat.

Seems so basic, but it is not to me! I didn't grow up healthy eating either. We had a horrible diet but I was lucky to be active.

I admire the Vegetarians and the Vegans. All my friends that were one had no trouble at all and generally had some moral reason. I don't have that issue. I love steak and will continue to love it lol

I love how they stand up for what they believe in. The conviction. Every vegan and vegetarian I have known has been skinny and healthy. I wouldn't even know where to start with those lifestyles.

I always think it would be nice to have that kind of will power.

Basically in a nutshell, what do people do daily to have a healthy diet? What does their weekly routines look like?

keep in mind I don't work due to injuries, but I do try to do housework/yardwork as I'm able to.

What are your thoughts about calorie counters that go on your wrist or arms like the boddybug from the biggest loser?
  • mohitsarmy
    Options
    I also bought a the Biggest Loser: At home Challenge DVD.

I like it. It seems to focus on just keeping you moving with lots of modified workouts.

I can't do near the stuff on it but I try.
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    Hey there. Sorry to hear about the extra obstacles you are facing. Here are a few suggestions. I hope they help. First, there are aerobic exercises you can do seated. Try things like traditional karate style punches and blocks that you would normally do from a horse stance. Done at the right consistency, speed, and duration, that can give you one hell of a workout. Also, you can use some resistance bands and do strength exercises seated or even lying down. Again, if done with high reps at a nice consistent speed, you can get a great workout doing this.

Also, I would recommend taking a look at the book "Convict Conditioning". It is all about using body-weight for conditioning. What I REALLY like about the book (and what I think will help you) is that the author has created "progressions" of exercises than generally start very easy and work their way up. Many of the first exercises in the progressions are awesome rehab exercises. I have some back issues and knee problems as well (though not anywhere near to the degree that it sounds like you are dealing with) and the beginning level exercises have REALLY helped strengthen my joints. I am now able to run around and help my son practice soccer where a few weeks ago, even a few steps of running would have dropped me with knee pain.

Good luck! I hope this helps. Feel free to add me and message me if you ever need any suggestions.
  • mohitsarmy
    Options
    Thank You for the reply.

I never really thought about seated martial arts. That is something to definitely look into.

I'll also try to track down that book and see if they have it at the library. Might be something I can buy later.

Thanks for the support!

I'm serious about looking into those suggestions!