Does anybody else eat due to stress?

Options
Lately I've noticed that I eat horribly (no portion control, lots of junk food) only when I'm stressed about something. Anyone else?

Replies

• Chuckempire
    Options
    I do
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    "High cortisol reactors consumed more calories on the stress day compared to low reactors, but ate similar amounts on the control day. In terms of taste preferences, high reactors ate significantly more sweet food across days. Increases in negative mood in response to the stressors were also significantly related to greater food consumption. These results suggest that psychophysiological response to stress may influence subsequent eating behavior."

Stress may add bite to appetite in women: a laboratory study of stress-induced cortisol and eating behavior

* Elissa Epela, * Rachel Lapidusb,* Bruce McEwenc* Kelly Brownellb

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306453000000354

Keep in mind that correlation was observed in "high cortisol reactors" (correlation does not prove causality) but the research would suggest that there may be a link, in some people from a hormonal point of view, between stress and eating.
  • jlm_getfit
    jlm_getfit Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes! That's one of the reasons I've gained so much weight, especially over the past year. But last week I said "enough is enough", I found my mojo, my willpower and the drive to change myself back to who I was pre-pregnancy (4 years ago). I started MFP, eating so much healthier, stopped drinking alcohol, started working out again and I'm getting more sleep. Most of important of all though, if something stresses me out I DON'T eat to solve/relieve the problem because in the end I am only stressing myself out more, which hurts my body and mind. Good luck to you finding your own mojo!
  • Skyflier83
    Options
    I've found that lack of sleep is what tips me over the edge... I've been so tired over the past few days that I haven't had any discipline. From tomorrow I'm back on the wagon (again!)
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, yes, and YES! I'm a huge stress eater...and I hate it. Over the past 6 months or so, I've really tried to put a lid on it and do something physically active to take my mind off of eating when I'm stressed out, but when I'm at work, it makes it very difficult. Lack of sleep is also a culprit for me as well...
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am a walking hot mess of stress and have been eating everything in sight! It's getting bad.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I eat for stress... and sadness... and boredom... and happiness, excietment, confusion, sleepyness... when I'm angry, worried, unhappy, sick, scared...

An emotional eater at its finest, and the love handles will agree :drinker:
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater. No question about that. I'm working on my habits and coping skills so that I have different go-tos other than food, when I go through difficult times.
  • katB_83
    katB_83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to do that, i suffered quite badly from stress and depression last year and found myself just eating and eating. To be honest thats why I am on here now, as I can monitor everything that I am eating it gives me back some of the control I lost.

Everyone does it to some extent, its our way of comforting ourself and feeling better, just try to do it sensibly, i wish I had.
  • green_king
    green_king Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes!!
  • Grace619
    Grace619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Trying to quit that. Had a slip just yesterday & found myself opening a brand new bag of barbeque chips & eating several before I could stop myself. hey...at least I stopped myself.... :)
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've found that lack of sleep is what tips me over the edge... I've been so tired over the past few days that I haven't had any discipline. From tomorrow I'm back on the wagon (again!)

Yes! The largely unsung catalyst of epic crap eating.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I eat for stress... and sadness... and boredom... and happiness, excietment, confusion, sleepyness... when I'm angry, worried, unhappy, sick, scared...

An emotional eater at its finest, and the love handles will agree :drinker:

And this is me as well!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Yep, and it's much worse now since I'm trying to quit smoking. It's really hard sometimes to say no to certain things..
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    ::raises her hand:: Big stress eater... Like yesterday! Had a bad day at work and ate 5 cookies as soon as I got home. Didn't miss a beat.
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use to alot..but now I just don't eat when I'm stressed..I went a day without eating on Saturday..not a good thing.
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That is the biggest thing I have had to overcome, that and mindless eating while sitting at my desk.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

^^THIS
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have definitely been an stress eater, but with more awareness and drive, I take my stress out in my workouts. a good intense workout with meditative stretching afterwards has help immensely
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    say what? im eating frito lays potato chips right now.....but dont tell anybody....ha ha