Advice for days leading up to 5K..

Options
natalie412
natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
I am running my first 5K on Saturday. I ran 5K today, and am trying to decide whether to do a longer run on Wed/Thurs (like 5 miles) or keep it shorter. Last week I ran 3 times - 3.25 miles, 4 miles, and 5 miles (each one was my longest distance ever- until the next run, that is!) Today I was hoping for a PB, but I tried a new route and it was REALLY HILLY - duh, should have realized that, so I ended up walking up the last hill.

The race on Saturday is also on grass - I usually run on the road, so that will be new.

Replies

• firemama
    firemama Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A.loha,
    I would rest for at least three days prior to your race. I just ran a 5k in March and three days prior to the race I forced myself to relax and focused on stretching out my muscles and my diet to prepare for the race. It worked for my, I ran a PR 31:00 5k and for me that was awesome. I'm not sure what your fitness level is, but I would listen to your body.
    I hope this helps,
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As it's your first 5K I'd probably dial it back just a little this week (for half & full marathons you need to taper, not so much for 5 & 10K). You want to probably run something approaching your race distance but at an easy pace just to stay nice and loose.

You'll probably find you're not as fast on grass (traction is not as good) and depending on how much rain you get the ground may be fairly soft which will feel a bit weird after running on pavement. Try not to extend your stride to compensate.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything too special before a 5K. I'll have my last run about 2-3 days before (usually on a Thursday and then races are Sat or Sun). I won't workout the day before at all, and I'll make sure I don't eat any foods that might upset my stomach within 24 hours before (it's sensitive to dairy and such). Other than that, you should be fine! A 5K doesn't require as much preparation as a half or full marathon does since it's a relatively short distance.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    i have been told to not do any exercise for 3 days prior or at least take it really really easy and drink like a fish. You will want to be really hydrated so on the day you don't lag because dehydrated too early in run. Try to get your body really well hydrated before hand
  • mhardest
    mhardest Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything too special before a 5K. I'll have my last run about 2-3 days before (usually on a Thursday and then races are Sat or Sun). I won't workout the day before at all, and I'll make sure I don't eat any foods that might upset my stomach within 24 hours before (it's sensitive to dairy and such). Other than that, you should be fine! A 5K doesn't require as much preparation as a half or full marathon does since it's a relatively short distance.

I would agree with the above. I ran my first 5k two weeks ago and this is basically what I did. Try to get some sleep the night before, too. I was so nervous and excited that it was hard to sleep!!! : )
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yep resting up for a few days before is the way to go, like the others have said. that doesnt mean you cant do anything. you could do an easy run, no more than your race distance or just walk or some other type of activity that will keep you loose.
    Good Luck!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I realize it will mostly be for fun. My best time so far is around 31 minutes, so I'm not exactly fast. I did run my 5 miles in about 55 minutes on Saturday, which I was really happy with. Last week, I realized that it actually seems to get easier for me beyond 2-3 miles (depending on weather - Saturday was 43 F and drizzly - perfect!).

I'm sure I'm not going to get a great time on grass, although they do say the course is flat, so who knows. So I guess I will not try for another 5 mile run this week - just do another 3.1 on Wednesday or Thursday.
  • smoten
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I realize it will mostly be for fun. My best time so far is around 31 minutes, so I'm not exactly fast.

You will be even faster in the race. There's just something about the atmosphere of it all that will push you a little harder. i bet you will be under 30. Let us know how it goes. :happy:
  • smoten
    Options
    i totally did that quote thing wrong... oh well