Adding calories

Options
I hope I'm posting this in the right area.
I changed my calories from 1,200 to 1,500 today. I joined MPF in mid January and have lost 17 pounds. The past 2 weeks the scale has been going up. So I searched around and found many people saying to up calories to 1,500. So here is my question..... should I cut my cardio time in half? When I was eating 1,200 calories I was doing an hour of cardio 6 times a week and between 15-20 mimutes of weights also 6 times a week. I was burning about 500-600 calories a day. I was having trouble eating all those calories. So to add 500 to 1,500 would seem like to many calories to eat. Any one with any suggestions.....PLEASE HELP

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I don't see fat gain from 1500 calories a day + the exercises you're putting it. How much is it going up, it's probably just water retention?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you want to lose weight or fat? If you want to lose fat, strength training will be your best bet. Why dont' you do 3 days a of cardio and 3 days of very heavy weight lifting so you fail at 8-12 reps. This provides a much better benefit to your overall health and weight loss journey. And since muscle burns fat, and cardio increase muscle loss, so..... pick up the weights. Also, eating more can help too. Maybe try 1700 calories for a month.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Small tweaks my dear. If you up your calories to 1500, I would keep your exercise right where it's at for at least 2 weeks and see what happens. I don't always eat back my calories from exercise so long as I'm getting my 1500. But a spike day may help jump start things. I had one yesterday, we shall see what happens on the scales this week. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.