When are you ready to start a class?

Options
I have been exercising and logging food since February 1 and am down about 32 pounds. I feel better, but I still have a lot of weight to lose. If you started out with more than 100 pounds to lose, when did you start doing exercise classes? I do the elliptical and weight machines now, but I am intimidated by the classes....but they sound fun and would mix things up a bit instead of doing the same thing all the time. How do I know when I could keep up with a zumba class or aerobics?

Replies

• mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I went to 3 classes in March - 2 Zumba and 1 Kickboxing. I have 140+ pounds to lose. I couldn't do all of the moves the instructor did, but neither could 50% of the class if not more. Other people going there modify to do what you can. One Zumba instructor said - which is so true - just do what you can, it's all about getting your heart rate up. Go for an adventure and try a couple! I was worried about looking like a fool in front of others, but turns out I wasn't the only one that would stumble around. LOTS of people did! It was fun and made me feel good :)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to keep up! You just jump in where you are and do what you can. Even if you can't keep up, you will someday as you get stronger and stronger. Then someday when you CAN do it all you will be proud and realize how far you have come! Have fun!
    Deb:flowerforyou:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I know its intimidating to go to a class especially when you have a lot of weight to lose. I know I am one of those people. I think if you could get a friend to go with you it will help you make the leap. My feeling is if my 62 year old mother can do a class with 20 year olds anyone can. Just jump in you might find out you like it better than just working out alone.
  • aimster23
    Options
    I have been dying to do a zumba class, but don't want to feel like a fool at it. I really wish we lived closer to exercise together! I need a partner!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Now. I joined a step class fairly on into my weight loss, found it difficult at first to keep up, but I got there and I really enjoy it.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    The great thing about classes is that if you're in a quality one, they give you modifications to make things easier or harder depending on your level. As long as you're moving, you're doing great! Nobody will judge you for not being able to do as much.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i started straight out with RPM / spin classes, straight out within 3 months of starting my weight loss programs. sure, i felt like i was going to have a heart attack, but i didn't. high impact classes, i don't do, because of my knees, but anything else, you can have a go. it's all mental, nobody is concerned about you, so don't think you have to necessarily keep up, you can slow down, pause, take an easier option on almost any move.
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I took zumba 2 night a week 6 months (had to stop because of work schedule) when i started I weighted 260 and did not think i could do it. At first could not do all the steps. But the instructor only focus is that you keep moving and keep your heart rate up. I talk to a lot of women big and small in my class and they could not keep up either. No one really notice because no one really watches each other, we are too busy doing our thing. There are a few women in my class 300+. Who cares as long as you trying to improve yourself. No matter what you weight or physical ability the fact that you show up proves you want to do better . Go for it!!!!!! I love Zumba eventhough i have no rythym and not very good at it.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    just jump in go to the back and try to follow along. don't worry if you messs up because you wont be the only one. you will sweat a tone just doing the moves even if their modified. you will have fun