I'm SO CONFUSED!

Options
MFP has always told me to eat 1770 calories a day.. maybe I'm not always right on the money, some days I go over some days I am under.. now it is telling me 1530, not sure where that came from, but when I put in all of my info again, that's what it says.

So today I started a workout program with a friend, and the facilitator of the program tells me that I need to eat about 2440 a day! Which sounds insane to me, because even if I go over my cals, it's not that much.

SO, do I eat more, or less? I didn't notice much of a weight loss before, but I wasn't sticking to MFP like I could have been. I think I am going to try to stick to the 1530 since that what MFP tells me to do, but does anyone have advice on this? I have looked at quite a few sites, some say to eat around 1200, some say up to 2500. I don't know what to do but I need help! I am trying to focus on not caring quite so much how much I eat, but I am eating when I am hungry, and eating healthy. So far today this has worked amazing!

What do YOU DO?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    well it depends on your stats and activity level but you could surely eat 1800+ and likely lose if you're of average size and have more than 20 pounds to goal.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I try to eat healthy food and eat so that I feel good- it can be a push to get in 1400 cal some days, somedays I eat back my exercise cals- it just depends, I have a desk job so that accounts for my lower cal #-

I suggust you play around until you feel good and are losing weight! Good luck !
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height and activity level., but 1530 sounds pretty average and reasonable to me. Remember to eat back your exercise calories too and that's still a good pound a week or so deficit. MFP does figure this stuff for you....just relax and give it a try.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was at 1,540 cals a day by MFP standards, plus more when I worked out. I now eat 1,950 regardless is I workout or not. Granted I workout 4-5 times a week and am usually burning an average of 3,000+ calories a day (I have a BodyMediaFit, that calculates it for me). So for me I eat a steady calorie count everyday and have lost weight but have the energy to make it through my week.

You may try gradually increasing our calories and see how you feel. You can always lower it again if needed.
  • MelodAngel
    Options
    Should I always be eating back ALL of my exercise calories?
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that mfp adjusts for every 10 lbs you lose. As you lose weight, your body will also start to burn less calories from daily activity (assuming you're not packing on muscle).

Since your BMR decreases, that means the amount you can eat each day and still achieve your goal (1 lb a week, 2 lbs a week, etc) also has to go down. It's based on a formula.

If you are currently trying to lose 2lb per week, for example, you will eventually get to a weight where that isn't possible because your calories from daily activity will be too low to accommodate that and maintain the minimum of 1200 calories per day.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Should I always be eating back ALL of my exercise calories?

Do you know exactly how many you burn for sure? If you're just estimating, I'd eat approximately 1/2 of them based on MFP's calculations, because they are slightly high. But 1500+ sounds right to me, plus your exercise calories.