Toned pear shaped women/girls?

Options
I realize that being pear shaped is genetic, and even when you get thin you will always be a bit bottom heavy...

But that being said, I've *never* looked good in a bikini, even when I was a younger teenager 115-120 (at 5'6). I've never been toned, either, however. Just curious if there are any woman who were definitely pear shaped (small chest, narrower shoulders, with thicker thighs and butt) who were able to tone up and look genuinely *good* in a bikini.

I realize that pear shaped women can still look good in one piece suits, but still, I'd love to be able to wear a bikini. :)

I realize this isn't a reason *not* to tone up, so I still am, but it would give me such a confidence boost if I were to read some success stories/see some inspiring pictures.

Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you should consider heavy lifting. I am just getting into it and I am amazed at the transformation of some of the women on here who are working THE NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN, STRONGLIFTS.COM, or NERDFITNESS.COM.

Check out this girl, I can't get over it:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

also on nerdfitness, check out these people and their fantastic improvement from just a 6 week challenge:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/05/6-week-success-stories/

Heavy lifting is what it takes to get strong and "toned", keep your metabolism up, eat more calories and burn burn burn. I'm just starting my 3rd week of NROL4W and I am psyched.

blessings.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have pictures, because I'm camera shy, but I am an hourglass leaning to a pear. I'm long waisted with short thick thighs, though I have boobs to balance my hips. I looked better in a bikini when I weighed somewhere in the mid 120s at 5'5 and was toned than when I weighed 117. Toning your upper body can help balance your proportions, and toning your lower body helps tighten problem areas. n
  • run4life21
    run4life21 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    are you kidding me.!!! Pear shape women look amazing in bikinis. you have to get the right one. I'm pear shape and would not trade it up for anything. Look at Jennifer Lopez she's pear shaped and looks amazing.
    Also, pear shaped people are usually healthier because most of the body fat is from the waste down so they are less prone to heart disease and diabetes because your organ don't have fat around them.

So try shopping for the right bikini and you'll see how amazing you'll look:)
  • 2Bskinny4good_Stacie
    Options
    well...I would definitely say I have the small shoulders, small chest and carry most of my weight in my hips and thighs. My waist has always been pretty small though, so I when I wore a swim suit I always felt like a bikini actually looked as good if not better on me than many one pieces did. I just never felt good about the lower half so I often put on shorts as quickly as I could or walked around in a towel. Last summer when my weight reached an all time high, I didn't even feel good about myself to even put on any swim suit....sad, looking back on it that I let my weight interfere with my ability to have fun.

I have met my goal weight but I am not yet happy with my thighs or butt Frankly, I don't think I will ever get to where I want to be in that area but I am learning to accept the shape that I have and I am I'm trying my best to get the best toned *kitten* and legs that I can this time!! Would be happy to network with you to help each other out in that department!

I'm confident enough now to have my profile picture a shot of me in my bikini top but I'm not there yet relative to posting my lower half---I have increased my workouts in an attempt to address it, emphasizing running, high incline treadmill work, kickboxing, squats and lunges. My goal is to have a full on leg and booty shot of me before I hit the pool/beach.

good luck!!
  • Crystella82
    Options
    Hi Raydot,

I can say that I am definitely pear shaped and have never been able to get rid of my thighs or butt, I guess with my Fijian heritage this is my genetics, but I love my food and the more that I want to spoil myself the more I have to be hard on myself at the gym. At the moment I have a trainer and she is training me with lots of leg press, lunges and ab work.

The main aim is to keep your legs active, well that's what my trainer has advised me and basically to tone I have to use weights to tone and downsize my legs and butt. I do have photos if you want to see, I am very small on the top and heavier on thighs and butt, but its actually a heaven sent but dreadful when shopping for clothes. The joys of being a female I guess

If you want I can message you all the work that my trainer gets me to do and you can adopt that if you like, anyways good luck with everything and keep up the good work!

Stella x
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good question! I have resigned myself that my booty will always be my defining feature but it would be nice to see what the possibilities are.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am small all the way down until my hips,bun and thighs that is and although I have to tone back up again, I can honestly tell you that last spring/summer I did the 30 day shred and toned up A Lot in those areas..
  • smcesko
    smcesko Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped, 33-26-36. I have pics of me in bikinis in my profile.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped but since starting heavy strenght training, my shoulders are wider and balance my body. I am sure you look awesome in a bikini :)
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I look good in a bikini. BUT I do have to do a lot of squats to keep my thighs looking half way decent lol
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Last September I looked fine in a bikini when I was 30lb lighter, I will try and find a photo! Ive always been bottom heavy, in September I was 33-26-36 but since I put weight on Im larger in the hips now.
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I would like to know this too I'm very frustrated with being pear shaped !! I hate how all my weight is in hips and thighs... I dnt think I'll ever wear a bikini bc of how bottom heavy I am...I always wear a swim suit and then T-shirt and shorts over it
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have a bikini picture in my profile. My thighs still have a good amount of fat but I doubt too many notice. I also generally wear shorts in public.
  • osylo
    osylo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am an obvious pear...wide through the butt and hips. While this is sometimes frustrating, I find myself more at odds with my untoned arms. They are extremely flabby and I don't know what to do about them...i did strength training for awhile, but gave up quickly because of a lack of results (granted, I've never stuck with it very long). Seeing as how lack of tone in the arms comes with the territory of pear shaped, women...I wonder if other's have issues with this too.

(at the risk of sounding like I am self-deprecating, I am not exaggerating...I am a 200 pound women with the arms of 300+ pound woman)
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I know I dislike my figure and would rather be more busty or more athletic, just thought I would mention that men prefer curvaceous women, so whilst we may dislike our curvy hips and curvy bottoms, men love them!!! So embrace those curves and work that butt!!!!
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am an obvious pear...wide through the butt and hips. While this is sometimes frustrating, I find myself more at odds with my untoned arms. They are extremely flabby and I don't know what to do about them...i did strength training for awhile, but gave up quickly because of a lack of results (granted, I've never stuck with it very long). Seeing as how lack of tone in the arms comes with the territory of pear shaped, women...I wonder if other's have issues with this too.

(at the risk of sounding like I am self-deprecating, I am not exaggerating...I am a 200 pound women with the arms of 300+ pound woman)

When I was much younger, and almost 100lbs slimmer (5'4", 145lbs of muscle, best shape of my life) a friend of mine commented that my arms were flabby. Flabby!!!! That comment has stuck with me since then. With the addition of 100lbs, flabby arms are all I see... So, perhaps, flabby arms are the curse of the pear-shaped woman.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!