Ideas For Jazzing Up Oatmeal?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Brain isn't very hot on this, and I am trying to find healthy and low calorie things I can add to oatmeal to sweeten it up.
I got some maple syrup, but not sure that is just as bad as adding sugar.
I had considered raisins and stuff, but I tend to go over the top with dried fruit around the place and eat it all.

Ideas please ?

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Anyone ?
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Cut up bananas
    Raisins and syrup
    Vanilla and cinnamon
    Yum :D
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Cinamon
    Blueberries
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    almond milk and whey and/or pb2
  • rmh84
    rmh84 Posts: 28
    Options
    I use cinnamon and Stevia in mine. You have to get a good brand of stevia to make it not have an aftertaste though. I would not use something like sweet-n-low or Splenda though, these are worse for your wasteline then real sugar.

I also use milk. I know a lot of people cut dairy when they are dieting, but I feel the calories are worth it to make me feel satisfied.

I would either forgo the syrup or use VERY little. It's still sugar - though better then refined white sugar. You could try a small ammount of 100% fruit juice (like berry or apple cider) for sweetening though - i'd go this route before syrup. Or you could add some of the 100% fruit applesauce things (the ones that are applesauce and berries, or peaches, or whatever). IMO - added refined sugars are the enemy.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello, I use steal cut oats and then I add cut up fresh strawberries and sometimes bananas or blue berries yummmmy:bigsmile:
  • SerenaNatasha
    Options
    Me and my fiance put a tablespoon of organic almond butter in ours and no calorie sweetener :)
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I eat a half cup of Quaker Old Fashioned oats made with water, into which I add a quarter cup of blueberries. Works for me.
  • Peanut0711
    Peanut0711 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    if you're looking for instant oatmeal, "Active Lifestyle" is really good. it's 170-180 per packet but real good!

if it's from the stove try: Honey or cranberries....
  • MrsJones98
    Options
    An all-fruit jam is nice, too. Strawberry, peach or apricot are my favorites :) If you tolerate dairy, add a tablespoon of a full-fat cream to help you feel satisfied - and such a small amount adds a LOT of creaminess (which for me equals more satisfying).
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal in the microwave (old fashioned oats) then I put frozen blueberries in it and stevia and cinnamon! The blueberries cool off the cereal so you can eat it! I eat it every day! I love it!
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I gave up on it because of the texture. I will measure out 1/4 -1/2 cup of rolled oats and just eat them raw with a bit of water. They are easy to chew and actually taste pretty good. It also doesn't get much quicker and easier.
  • sjaudio
    sjaudio Posts: 52
    Options
    Before I start making my oatmeal, I chop up an apple into small chunks, throw it in a cake pan, douse liberally with cinnamon, and toss it in the oven. About the time my oatmeal is done, the apples are ready to be mixed in.
  • Ronnvee
    Ronnvee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Although it might sound weird, try mixing your favorite yoghurt into your oatmeal....after cooking. The sharpness of the yoghurt works well with the blandness of the oatmeal. It tastes better than it sounds - I promise!:smile:
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    APPLES and Pecans or Almonds..., these things together will be sweet enough and CRUNCHY!!!! YUM!!!

Love the cranberry idea too!

18447478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Chopped Apples
    Nuts
    Grapes

Or my personal favorite... Sausage :D
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Before I start making my oatmeal, I chop up an apple into small chunks, throw it in a cake pan, douse liberally with cinnamon, and toss it in the oven. About the time my oatmeal is done, the apples are ready to be mixed in.

This sounds wonderful!! I'm going to try that!!
  • Brandie6004
    Options
    bumping for ideas
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    If you like steel cut oats, I make mine with half apple juice, half water. Delish!
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I like chopped pecans and sweetened coconut in mine. I love the different textures.