Is your HRM cals burned higher than MFP database info?

Options
Mine is and I am wondering if thats right. I would think its more accurate than an "average" In the database.

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Everything that I've done so far, MFP has been higher than my HRM. That doesn't mean that yours can't be right if its the opposite though. Do you have an HRM with a chest strap?
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to say that MFP is really high. But I'm like you and my HRM gives me much higher readings than MFP, so I just go with the MFP readings to be safe.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I depends. I have only done it with running and walking and the HRM is usually slightly lower for running and higher for walking.

Your HRM is going to be more accurate than any database (as long as you gave it accurate & current info) because it is set to you. Trust it if you have a good quality one. :flowerforyou:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Mine are really (really) close to the same except for hiking it was 50 percent lower on the HRM, walking at 3.5 at 3.0 and 4.0 right on thats all ive checked for now tho:)
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    For me it depends on the exercise. Some times MFP is higher, some times it is lower. I just go with HRM. My rate of losing has increased since I started using the HRM.
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Nope my HRM cal is less than MFP database
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    No less by about a 100 cals. I suspect yours is wrong sorry.
  • jc1229
    jc1229 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on the person. I know my calorie burn on my hrm is a lot lower than what mfp has, I was a bit sad about this :(
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like my HRM and especially love it when it shows 800 + calories burned. Although inline with expectations of calories burned in my bootcamp sessions, I don't always truly "believe" that I've burnt 1000+ calories, or 800+, etc. although I put down what my HRM says in MFP, I subtract about 200 calories off the HRM number. That way I feel better if its off.

Good luck!
  • Maridelsol82
    Options
    My HRM reports higher numbers for everything except walking. MFP overestimates the calories I burn walking.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like my HRM and especially love it when it shows 800 + calories burned. Although inline with expectations of calories burned in my bootcamp sessions, I don't always truly "believe" that I've burnt 1000+ calories, or 800+, etc. although I put down what my HRM says in MFP, I subtract about 200 calories off the HRM number. That way I feel better if its off.

Good luck!

I do the same thing just to be safe!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    When it comes to aerobics, my HRM is higher compared to MFP. When I walk a mile at a "normal" pace, it's 5-15 cals off than what my HRM says. So I would say mine's pretty damn close.
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Its a 50 buck New Balance. Nothing fancy. I just wanted to monitor my heart rate more than anything. Today is day one using it, so I guess I'll know based on my week end results. I have no plans on eating all the cals back anyways. Its about 100 calories higher than MFP database.
    Thanks everyone!
  • mightyfrances
    mightyfrances Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MFP is a little higher than what I get on HRM, but the HRM and my fitbit are almost identical if I log the time I started and stopped.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    If a person is in better shape they will burn less calories doing a exercise then a person out of shape doing same exercise.

I say HRM is right.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My HRM burns are lower than what MFP lists. I have a Polar FT7 with a chest strap.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4

Treadmill my HRM is higher
    Elliptical MFP is higher

I go by my HRM though and stick with that.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Make sure all information is input to the HRM. That can effect the calculations.