Love yourself...give her sweets?

Options
I know the REAL answer to this but it's something I struggle with since becoming an aware adult. Why is it, that if I love myself, I wouldn't want to eat indulgent treats like rich chocolate or a home made cookie? Aren't these things just ways of giving my body what it likes? It tastes SO GOOD! I know they're not "healthy" but....argh....

I want to know what you've replaced to "treat" yourself and perhaps how you have overcome this mind set....that you should be rewarding yourself with things other than food....and perhaps you don't actually like or crave that kind of stuff?

Replies

• cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I still eat chocolate... basically everyday. I just make sure I don't eat a lot. I just plan to have one piece. It lasts longer that way too. I also buy the lower calorie/lower fat versions of some of my favorite treats so they fit into my diet better (like Skinny Cow products). My motto is everything in moderation!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Eat the cookies. Eat the chocolate. Limit the number and size of the servings. Put it all in your food diary. Done deal.
  • macnotes
    macnotes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Eat the cookies. Eat the chocolate. Limit the number and size of the servings. Put it all in your food diary. Done deal.

It's limiting the size and servings that I find to be the issue. why do things that taste good have to be so high in calories?
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options

It's limiting the size and servings that I find to be the issue. why do things that taste good have to be so high in calories?

Because the things that are good for us are never easy to do. What I like to do is if I'm having a craving and I don't have the calories for it, I'll plan to eat it later in the week so it gives me something to look forward to. I also don't count calories on Sundays to keep me sane and so I'll eat some not so healthy things then... it hasn't stopped me from losing weight, you just can't over do it. But honestly, I know limiting yourself is hard at first, but once you get in the habit, the smaller amount satisfies you just as much. You just have to be patient with yourself
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's a habit, some say an addiction (I do), and it takes a while to break it. Right now I have something sweet almost every day, but I portion it out and put the rest away. You'll see lots of entries in my diary recently for 12 Cadbury mini eggs. :bigsmile:

That said, for me, I can maintain but won't lose weight if I'm eating sweets. It just doesn't work for my body. I'm about to cut them out altogether so I can drop this last 5 lbs. I'm not looking forward to it but I know I'll feel better with every goal I achieve. I replace sweets with other satisfying "treats" like peanut butter, brie, blue cheese stuffed olives, pickled peppers, dill pickles, and ranch flavored mini rice cakes. All of these are high in fat and/or salt and satisfy my other cravings. Plus, chocolate sounds gross after eating vinegar.

Instead of rewarding myself with food, I get a new nail polish or a pedi for everyday victories (e.g. meeting a work goal) and new clothes for large victories (e.g. breaking 143). To make it more special, I do not allow myself to buy nail color, get a mani/pedi, or buy clothing over $50 unless and until I reach those goals!

You're starting right where I was 8 or 9 months ago. You can do this!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I know the REAL answer to this but it's something I struggle with since becoming an aware adult. Why is it, that if I love myself, I wouldn't want to eat indulgent treats like rich chocolate or a home made cookie? Aren't these things just ways of giving my body what it likes? It tastes SO GOOD! I know they're not "healthy" but....argh....

I want to know what you've replaced to "treat" yourself and perhaps how you have overcome this mind set....that you should be rewarding yourself with things other than food....and perhaps you don't actually like or crave that kind of stuff?

The body might like it, but it liked many things before that did me no good in the long run.

I control my body, it does not control me and providing I treat it correctly, it will do as I say. To treat it correctly, I need to feed it properly, that's why cakes, sweets, chocolate, crisps and biscuits no longer have a place in my cupboards.
  • macnotes
    Options
    It's a habit, some say an addiction (I do), and it takes a while to break it. Right now I have something sweet almost every day, but I portion it out and put the rest away. You'll see lots of entries in my diary recently for 12 Cadbury mini eggs. :bigsmile:

That said, for me, I can maintain but won't lose weight if I'm eating sweets.

You're starting right where I was 8 or 9 months ago. You can do this!

Right on the money there....It's coming apparent to me that it IS an addiction that I need to just keep it the hell out of my house and my life. I'm not having issues limiting it too much now, but I am afraid that once I get to where I want to be, I'll think it's OK to have in the house and in my lunch. Then I'll be right back where I was. This is what has failed me in the past. Getting to a point where I think I'm OK and "cured" of this addiction and then just fall right off the wagon again.

I wish there was a Sugar Addiction support group. Being vegetarian has helped, but man oh man, I can find many vegetarian sweets.

If I want to break the cycle for future children I may have, I have to stop it before they are even conceived!

I asked my mom what she ate when I was in utero and she said "glazed doughnuts...I could eat half a dozen in one sitting". To this day that smell is like kryptonite to me. Thank you for the ideas and support!!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    What I that works is that I plan it. I plan my splurges at least a week in advance. I know the exact number of calories beforehand so I can make it fit into my day. When the day arrives, I enjoy it. No guilt.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You'll see lots of entries in my diary recently for 12 Cadbury mini eggs. :bigsmile:

Stinking Cadbury! It's almost unbearable not eating those little candy shell coated chocolate treats from heaven. YUM! :tongue:
  • macnotes
    Options
    I find I can resist (usually) the cadbury or the oreo or something like that...it's the gourmet, high fat, high fancy stuff. Something about the richness of it. I wonder if I'm craving something other than the actual sugar....
  • rmh84
    rmh84 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have something almost every day, but it's always something small. I've been working on the same king size twix for like 3 weeks!

that said, some things I phased out of my diet I don't really miss - like Soda. I'll occasionally take a sip of someone else's, and you know what? I don't WANT to drink a whole can anymore.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I eat a little dark chocolate every day. It kills my chocolate craving but is not so good that I want to eat the whole bar. I don't let my family buy treats that I like, only ones I don't.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have a Skinny Cow Candy Bar for tonight's snack. I could never give up the occasional sweet, but I have to keep it within reason.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You'll see lots of entries in my diary recently for 12 Cadbury mini eggs. :bigsmile:

Stinking Cadbury! It's almost unbearable not eating those little candy shell coated chocolate treats from heaven. YUM! :tongue:

Those will be the death of my diet lol.. seriously... now i want them.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Because in nature, foods that are high in fat, salt, and sugar are quite rare. If you don't have regular access to these things, then biologically, you want to eat all of them you can when you do have access (because they are high in calories). In reasonable amounts (and in their relatively unrefined forms) these nutrients are actually necessary for survival, but when you consume too much of them, particularly in refined forms (which allows you to eat them more easily), you run into problems. Basically, your brain and body evolved in a world in which food was scarce, particularly food that was high in sugar, fat, and salt, that is no longer the case for many people living in industrialized nations, so it's easy for us to overdo it.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Because in nature, foods that are high in fat, salt, and sugar are quite rare. If you don't have regular access to these things, then biologically, you want to eat all of them you can when you do have access (because they are high in calories). In reasonable amounts (and in their relatively unrefined forms) these nutrients are actually necessary for survival, but when you consume too much of them, particularly in refined forms (which allows you to eat them more easily), you run into problems. Basically, your brain and body evolved in a world in which food was scarce, particularly food that was high in sugar, fat, and salt, that is no longer the case for many people living in industrialized nations, so it's easy for us to overdo it.

THIS! I have not given up ANYTHING. Just became more AWARE of what and how much I am eating.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.... when I was a kid, we were frequently "rewarded" with sweets and unhealthy foods. And it is so hard to get out of the mindset that bad food is a reward for good behavior.

What has helped, #1 is to become aware of your thoughts. Realize they aren't the truth. Rewards can come in many forms, but bad food will sabotage your health and rob you of a fulfilling life.

#2, think of rewards that will truly make you feel wonderful. Manicure/pedicure wouldn't work for me, I couldn't care less about those things! For me, the reward might be an evening of roller skating with my kids, or taking my dogs to a dog show. Things *I* like to do that also fit into a healthy lifestyle.

For me, having a small portion of chocolate wasn't the answer. If it's in the house, I will eat the whole thing. Everybody is different about this. Maybe someday I will have more willpower, but for now if I do want a small treat, I go to the store and buy a small treat. And I don't bring anything back to tempt me later.

I still struggle with wanting to get candy for my kids.... as a reward....even though I know better!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to 'indulgences' every day.

Recently, I have been on a gummy bear kick, so only ½ a serving every day (ok maybe a full serving on some days :tongue: ). Though I savor each and every bear...I turn each one into 4 bites rather than shoving a bunch in my mouth at once.

Also, I have become more 'choosy' about my treats. I *love* cupcakes, so there is one local cupcake bakery that I go to once a month to get a cupcake. They use all locally grown natural ingredients and no preservatives so I can still be 'clean' about the cupcakes. I usually don't care for chocolate but when I do have a craving, I make sure it's premium natural chocolate; instead of a mass produced Hershey's bar, I buy a Theo chocolate bar. The Theo bar has 30 more calories per serving, but it is made with pure ingredients.

I don't necessarily eat all 'clean' foods (hence the gummy bears) but I do try to make as may of my treats as 'pure' as possible. When I made this change, I found that slowly, I didn't have the cravings for the candy bars as much as I used to. I loved Twix bars years ago, but I haven't had one (or even a craving for one) in so long.

It is hard to not eat an entire bag of chips, an entire chocolate bar, the whole can of pringles, I know, I used to do that! I guess it's like what alcoholics or smokers go thru when they try to quit. Being aware is the first step, now you just have to learn how to deal with it, keep going!
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    bumping this
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I don't express my love for myself through food. I eat food. Sometimes I eat sweets. I exercise more when I do that or just own the consequences of my consumption.