Has anyone read "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels

Options
The concept of clean eating has always resonated with me (although implementing it is a different story!) but I had not thought about how chemicals in our food affects our hormones and metabolism in the way that was described in this book. I am curious if others read it and what you think about it.

Also, for those who do eat clean, did you go cold turkey on processed foods? Make small changes first? What were the things you got rid of or found substitutes for first? What percentage of the time do you feel like you eat clean?

I saw someone on TV this morning (Today show maybe?) and she suggested that when grocery shopping to have 80% of your foods "clean" and then 20% of the food is healthy but not necessarily "whole". I thought that sounded like a good plan. I already use whole grains (pasta, brown rice, 100% whole wheat bread) and primarily lean meats. We do eat fruits and veggies and I eat almonds, but could always add more. My main weakness is diet mountain dew and sweets.

Replies

• aeprevette
    aeprevette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ease in! find out what works for you. fumble around some until you learn what you like. processed foods... for me, they mean binging, severe hunger pangs, bloating, sodium/puffyness, if i taste pizza, i have to eat the entire $5 Caesars and i can and will do that. why set yourself up against that.
  • Mumbum78
    Mumbum78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The concept of clean eating has always resonated with me (although implementing it is a different story!) but I had not thought about how chemicals in our food affects our hormones and metabolism in the way that was described in this book. I am curious if others read it and what you think about it.

Also, for those who do eat clean, did you go cold turkey on processed foods? Make small changes first? What were the things you got rid of or found substitutes for first? What percentage of the time do you feel like you eat clean?

I saw someone on TV this morning (Today show maybe?) and she suggested that when grocery shopping to have 80% of your foods "clean" and then 20% of the food is healthy but not necessarily "whole". I thought that sounded like a good plan. I already use whole grains (pasta, brown rice, 100% whole wheat bread) and primarily lean meats. We do eat fruits and veggies and I eat almonds, but could always add more. My main weakness is diet mountain dew and sweets.

I find if I generally stick to the outer diameter of the grocery store I make healthier choices.I also found ways to "cheat myself" into thinking Im snacking on junk. Almond butter on apple slices is almost decadent when I have a sweet tooth. The eat clean powerball recipe is also very good. I still have my days, but find you have to ease into it. As a celiac already on a restricted diet, I found it too hard to up and change everything all at once. Start little if you have to. Substitute yogurt for sour cream next time its called for, or used evaporated milk in soup/sauce recipes instead of cream too.The biggest thing I found wi8th my sugar cravings was unfotunately just patience.It took about a week,but once you slowly start cutting it out,you will find you crave it less!
  • Mumbum78
    Mumbum78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    and by yogurt I meant greek yogurt(2%) Dont opt for "low fat" as they just tend to have more sugar added to replace the flavour of the fat being removed
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Probably a stupid question, but besides the active cultures, why is yogurt healthier than sour cream? I guess I could see that Greek yogurt has more protein, but usually you eat so little of it at a time that it would be negligible. I'm not a big sour cream person, though. I did look at the labels when shopping the other day and found a light sour cream that didn't have any of the "bad" stuff in it that Jillian talks about. Greek yogurt is growing on me, but the kids hate it. Last week they grabbed some and my "good" eater ate it but said it wasn't that good. The other one took one bite and left it (not unusual for him--he is 3) and my husband said he would eat it. He took a bite and about gagged. Guess it wasn't what he expected!

Our meals are pretty good, it is the sweets that kill me. I do buy some less-than-healthy snacks for the kids (pretzels, Goldfish, sometimes granola bars) but they don't eat them often (and I never do). However, I usually try to have one fruit/veggie with protein snack per day but also have one that is more carbs (Belvita crackers, Kashi granola bar, or I just bought some protein bars but probably won't buy them again). I guess those would fit into my 20% that is not "whole".