thryroid issues

Options
Hi there. about a year ago I had half of my thyroid removed and have been struggling to keep my weight down...It used be alot easier...Has anyone else run into this problem and offer any advice?

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    same problem here. I gained 30 pounds in 3 months before my left thyroid and parathyroid were removed. That was a year and a half ago and I still haven't lost the weight. I am reading a book called "The Thyroid Diet". It really isn't about dieting but about how combinations of foods and other things can be affecting your thyroid or your thyroid affects. Good book, easy read. I am on meds and I know I am not at the right dosage even though my doc says I am.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if I am having thyroid issues. My dad has hypothyroidism. I always feel tired and foggy in the brain. Seriously, I can sleep for 10 hours still really tired and fall asleep the minute I sit down to watch a movie with my family. I also have a low pulse rate for someone who doesn't exercise (between 60 -65) which I read is indicative of hypothyroidism. I am going to get checked out for it. . I am going to a doctor as soon as I find a good one in my area. Does this sound like thyroid issues to you guys?
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    I was just wondering if I am having thyroid issues. My dad has hypothyroidism. I always feel tired and foggy in the brain. Seriously, I can sleep for 10 hours still really tired and fall asleep the minute I sit down to watch a movie with my family. I also have a low pulse rate for someone who doesn't exercise (between 60 -65) which I read is indicative of hypothyroidism. I am going to get checked out for it. . I am going to a doctor as soon as I find a good one in my area. Does this sound like thyroid issues to you guys?

Could be but it could also be anemia. I had that too (hemoglobin was 8.5, 8 was transfusion stage). I would just sit down and fall asleep. You could also have mono. I would go to the doc and find out as soon as you can. Hypothyroidism can mess up a bunch of stuff in your system. It made my calcium go out of whack and was so high I was having HUGE kidney stones that had to be surgically removed because they were too big to pass on their own. Once I had my left thyroid removed, my calcium, B12, iron, vitamin D all went back to normal.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help. When I go to the doctor I am going to ask to be tested for both Thyroid issues and Iron deficiency. I don't think it would be mono since I have had these problems for many years now.
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help. When I go to the doctor I am going to ask to be tested for both Thyroid issues and Iron deficiency. I don't think it would be mono since I have had these problems for many years now.

could still be mono...that stuff is nasty and hangs around a long time. My daugther had it and she still isn't right. Couldn't hurt to ask your doc.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You need optimal levels for weight loss. Starving yourself will only lower your metabolic rate and cause you to gain or not lose at all.

Natural helpers are sea kelp.

You can also take medication. My endocrinologist upped my levels until I lost weight. I noticed when I do a larger deficit for an extended period of time I stall. It means it will take longer to lose the weight but I'd rather have slow progress than no progress.

I have anemia also which she said was related to the graves disease.
  • beveeh
    beveeh Posts: 12
    Options
    thanks ladies...I am on medicine and going back for blood work today....Just want to feel good again...I guess I will keep plugging along...Frustrating for sure but thankful for life!:love::love: