question for the ladies

Options
I do so good on my snacking except for when it's that time of the month. All I want to do is continue eating that whole week long!! Does anybody have any suggestions on healthy foods during that time that would help with the salty sweet cravings?

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, sister, and I don't think there is much of a solution. So far, I cope with increased exercise and water and the letting myself have some chocolate or other treats in there. Once the hormones shift, I go clean again.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First, get rid of as much snacky food as possible. Then, try loading up on stuff that will give you the sugar/salt fix without blowing your diet. Portion it out in advance in little snack size baggies. And, definitely allow the chocolate - just make sure it's the good stuff. Lindt has a dark chocolate bar with a touch of sea salt that's just lovely.

And, above all things, drink as much water as you can.

Good luck!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am so there with you! If I eat something I try really hard to consume a huge amount of water to help ease the food intake:grumble:

And wear the tight jeans, they are a pretty good reminder of your journey :smile:
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Try some almonds with a few chocolate chips

Fat free sugar free pudding

There are a lot of lower fat ice cream treats available

Hope this helps a bit
  • WritingMyLife
    WritingMyLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was also told recently that the chocolate craving during that time of the month, that it may be a sign your body needs extra potassium. Don't know if that's true, but I've noticed on here that when I track potassium, it's really hard to get anywhere near the amount they say you should, even with taking a supplement.

Edited - In some quick research, I see magnesium deficiency associated with chocolate craving, which they say can result in low levels of potassium. *shrug*
  • ashlee2012
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain! This is especially frustrating for me, as I have PCOS and didn't even have regular periods until I got back on track with my weight! That being said, I have TWO staples that I buy in BULK during that time of the month!

To satisfy my sweet cravings, I LOVE dry cinnamon roasted almonds. Emerald makes these, and you definitely want to stock up when they go BOGO at Publix or other grocers. They also have other flavors (including chocolate roasted!)

To satisfy the salty moods, hummus is a must. If I behave even a little more, I'll dip raw carrots in the hummus, if I want a little extra cheat, I'll dip some pita, or a soft tortilla (I always have the xtreme fiber wraps on hand.)

As pretty much everyone else has said-just try your best, and definitely keep up on the water and exercise, even though I know exercise during that time can be no fun! Good luck, and hang in there!
  • pandora20
    pandora20 Posts: 13
    Options
    I love having peanut butter and a banana. I've also drizzled some chocolate over the banana and then i freeze it :) sooo good and healthy!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Roasted Red Pepper Hummus from Athenos or Pita Pals. I use carrot or celery sticks for dipping.

If you get a sweet craving dark chocolate with 60% cacao or higher is wonderful. Chuao makes a Spicy Maya and Firecracker that are fantastic! They give you the health benefits of chocolate and won't break the calorie bank.

Frozen grapes are wonderful or you could make your own fruit pops since it's summer. You can use the little paper cups or buy a Popsicle set from Target or Wal-Mart. My favorite is Strawberry Pineapple. Mash the fruit separately. Put strawberries on the bottom then pineapple on top (or whatever fruits you like best) then freeze. No sugar added and they're fantastic!

A great salty, crunchy and insanely healthy snack are Kale Chips. Oven at 375. Take about 6 stems of fresh Kale, wash well, remove the center stem and pat dry. Tear the Kale into bite size pieces, some are big, some are small. Toss the leaves with 1 tsp. Olive Oil and 1/8 tsp. salt...it truly doesn't take much. Once the leaves are well coated lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet ( I line mine with foil or parchment because I'm lazy and don't want to scrub them). Bake for 7-ish minutes. If they look a bit brown around the edges, they're done. Too dark and they get bitter. I crave these and even though the recipe sounds a bit involved it's quick enough that I can whip up a batch in about 10 minutes start to finish.

I hope this helps! Good luck!!
  • marvelousmindy9
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!!!!! I know i'll be using them!
  • powerofhope
    Options
    I have found that peppermint patties are good at satisfying my choc desire. I can have 3 little ones.....having more than 1 makes me feel like I'm getting alot. York has a dark chocolate one that's very good.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    Suck on a salted lemon wedge. It is nasty but shockingly cuts the cravings hugely.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I always keep tons of rice cakes with different flavours near me at ALL times. They are only 50 calories a rice cake and they help fill you up. It helps with salty or sweet cravings. Otherwise, I hide in a bubble and pretend anything outside of veggies and fruit don't exist :laugh:
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    carrots, fruit(fresh pineapple YUM) pretzel stix, cheese cubes, special K chocolate craving cereal
  • grahamns
    grahamns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I generally keep myself from buying those foods that i know i will indulge in during that time of the month. My motto is "if its not there i can't eat it." What i may do however is eat more of the healthier foods during that time of the month or have a cheat meal.