protein

sean93
sean93 Posts: 109
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
iv just had lunch and already including my breakfast im over my protein limit:indifferent:

iv heard that protein on here is set quite low and that it is okay to go over but im only on lunch so is that ok? do i have to cut back on my dinner?

thanks sean:smile:

Replies

• My protein level is at 66...that is just slightly low for me...my doc recommends 70 but that is because I had gastric bypass. I am surprised that you could eat that much protein just in breakfast and lunch. You can adjust it in the tools tab, I believe, but the answer is yes, you can go over. A high protein diet can help control hunger. According to the WebMD website:
    "The Institute of Health's Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) recommendations allow for a wide range of protein intake -- anywhere from 10% to 35% of total calories -- for normal, healthy adults. For example, on an 1,800 calorie diet, you could safely consume anywhere from 45 grams (that's 10% of calories) to 218 grams (35%) of protein per day."

and

""There are no dangers associated with higher intakes of protein -- unless you have kidney disease," says Layman.

To get the potential weight loss benefit, Layman advises aiming for around 120 grams of protein a day. "If you want to increase your protein intake, do it slowly over the course of a week," he recommends."
    see: http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-for-weight-loss for full article.
    Good luck!
    Kim
This discussion has been closed.