Can lack of sleep be slowing down my metabolism?

Options
I think I already know the answer to this but I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks. I lead a pretty hectic life and often burn the candle at both ends. I know how important getting enough sleep is but sometimes I feel like I have to sacrifice to fit everything in. The problem is that I don't feel my workouts are as effective. Should I push myself when I'm tired or listen to my body?

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You should listen to your body.
    Proper sleep is very important.

You have to decide what's more important in your life.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    They say to get at least 6 hours of sleep to help.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I work for a sleep lab. More and more research is showing the extremely detrimental effects of a lack of sleep/poor sleep. I'm constantly amazed at the number of patients who make remarkable progress improving health once their sleep problems are fixed.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I just heard a study on the radio last night on my way to work. It said women who only got 6 hours of sleep consumed 329 more calories a day. And women who got 9 hours of sleep consumed 329 calories less... Yup, that's exactly what it said and I didn't question it :D
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep is a huge problem for me and I really think that yes...it can slow it down.
    I know if I go too long with no to little sleep that I get depressed and then I gain. Don't know what type of phone you have but I got an app for my IPhone (motionx) and it is supposed to detect your sleep cycle. I have to say it seems pretty accurate because the one night my son crawled into bed with me through the night and managed to kick me in the head. So needless to say I was awake at 3am and it showed up on the chart.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I work for a sleep lab. More and more research is showing the extremely detrimental effects of a lack of sleep/poor sleep. I'm constantly amazed at the number of patients who make remarkable progress improving health once their sleep problems are fixed.

This^^^

I have know a couple of guys who lost a large amount of weight once they were treated for sleep apnea.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain this to my child who has a sleep disorder. Lately he is asleep at 9:00 then up anywhere between 11:30 & 1:00 and then fighting for sleep for the rest of the night. He is on prescription meds AND melatonin to help him sleep. I am a zombie a lot of days. He is mentally retarded and the sleep disorder is a side effect of his condition. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I have not had a problem losing weight, and I only sleep 5 hours most nights. That is all I have available to me. I would obviously prefer to sleep more if it were an option.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Lots of new evidence:
    http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness-10/lack-of-sleep-weight-gain
    http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/sleepdiet.htm
    http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/29/news/la-heb-weight-loss-20110329

And personally? Last week I hardly slept for most of the week. I did pretty well with my calories, water intake and exercise. 3 days I got 5 hours of sleep: the scale was up 2 pounds. I got a full 7.5 hours for 2 days, and the scale went back down 2 pounds. And then I got limited sleep again...and the scale is stuck. Even though it should be moving.

I am about 80% sure it is my lack of sleep causing the problem. The same things has happened to me in other weeks as well.
  • raineraven78
    raineraven78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

That's awesome! What do they say is the recommended amount? Is it still 8 hours?
  • raineraven78
    Options
    I just heard a study on the radio last night on my way to work. It said women who only got 6 hours of sleep consumed 329 more calories a day. And women who got 9 hours of sleep consumed 329 calories less... Yup, that's exactly what it said and I didn't question it :D

I would agree with this because when you're tired your body is looking for an energy boost! And when I'm tired, I don't work out as effectively.
  • raineraven78
    Options
    Lack of sleep is a huge problem for me and I really think that yes...it can slow it down.
    I know if I go too long with no to little sleep that I get depressed and then I gain. Don't know what type of phone you have but I got an app for my IPhone (motionx) and it is supposed to detect your sleep cycle. I have to say it seems pretty accurate because the one night my son crawled into bed with me through the night and managed to kick me in the head. So needless to say I was awake at 3am and it showed up on the chart.

That's awesome! I have the iPhone. I'm going to check it out!
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep stresses your body. When your body is stressed, it pumps out more cortisol (fight or flight). Cortisol increases your body's desire to hold on to extra fat.

Snooze to lose! :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yes it can because of the Cortisol issue. Sleep problems is usually a symptom more than a problem... Anxiety, bipoar, depression, workaholism, sleep apnea, etc. all are triggers for sleep problems... Many times these can also be factors so it may be the chicken comes first or the egg... but the result is the same.
  • JLongwell2
    Options
    I do not believe lack of sleep slows your metabolism. However, lack of sleep can affect your work outs and make you feel unproductive. I will use my husband as an example. As an avid weightlifter he is in the gym 5 to 6 times a week. I have heard him say his work out was great "I increased my bench today, I am pumped". I have also heard him say "my body must be tired, because I missed a few reps". I often wonder why he goes to the gyn if he is so tired, but in the end he would be so mad if he didn't go. As would anyone that works out regulary.
    To make a long story short (from some one who use to spend as much time in the gym as my husband and am trying to get back in the grooze) continue to do what you are doing, but try to balance your workouts around your schedule.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    if i get less than six hours of sleep, i am totally off the next day. no energy for my workouts, lack of focus, anxiety, and a ravenous hunger are my usual symptoms. definitely lack of sleep effects my weight loss and training!

i am at my best with about 8.5 hours of sleep a night! i typically work from 1pm - 9pm, so that means hitting the sack at around ten and waking up at 6:30. on my days off, if i've been lacking sleep throughout the week, i usually sleep nearly ten hours. it can be refreshing!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

That's awesome! What do they say is the recommended amount? Is it still 8 hours?

Somewhere between 6-9 hours is the general recommendation. More important than amount is having proper sleep hygiene (going to bed/getting up at approx the same time each night and getting the same amount of sleep each night ... so, for a week, 5+5+5+5+6+4+5 is generally better than 3+3+6+4+5+2+12) and the the time spent in the various stages (beta, alpha, theta, delta, REM)
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi MFPers.

There is a book called the Doona Diet and it shows sleep = more weight loss

Interesting!! :)