I need help

Options
Hey everyone. I am new to the site and I have so many questions but I would like to let you in what I am doing. I have a big problem with toning my arms to tighten the flab underneath without looking like a body builder / football player. I always tend to bulk at the shoulders and chest instead of getting the arms tighter. And the biggest problem is my mid-section. My thighs are getting toned with the walking. I am taking in only 1500 cals. a day and I am drinking zero calorie drinks. Do you think this will work with walking 3 miles on the treadmill everyday? And what would you suggest for the arms?

Replies

• InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am new to the site and I have so many questions but I would like to let you in what I am doing. I have a big problem with toning my arms to tighten the flab underneath without looking like a body builder / football player. I always tend to bulk at the shoulders and chest instead of getting the arms tighter. And the biggest problem is my mid-section. My thighs are getting toned with the walking. I am taking in only 1500 cals. a day and I am drinking zero calorie drinks. Do you think this will work with walking 3 miles on the treadmill everyday? And what would you suggest for the arms?

It seems that you are heading in the right direction. First thing is, due to differences in make up, women won't bulk up the same way that men will.
    As you have already noted, your legs have toned because they are being worked out with the walking. While it is extremely difficult to "spot reduce", you can tone areas with certain excercises.
    The arms especially need to be worked if you want them to look better, not bigger. There are a number of arm excercises that can hit the back of the arms specifically, such as chair dips. There are others.
    Nutrition also plays a big role, more than people think. You don't want to go so low that your body goes into "starvation" mode, which is when it thinks that it is being starved and slows down your matabolism. A "revved" up metabolism will burn calories even at rest. 1500 calories may be enough, but I don't know enough about your height/weight and other items that go into coloric needs.
    And try and make sure you are drinking enough water. Zero Calorie drinks are "ok", but the body is made up of mostly water and needs it for certain functions such as proper kidney and liver functions. Drinking at least 6-8 eight ounce glasses a day will provide more benefits than you think.
    You can use the MFP food logs to give you a good sense of what you do on a daily basis.

Let me know if that is helpful or if you have any other questions.

Jim
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the greatest site ever. You will love this site if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so easy to use, supportive, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • nobleps
    nobleps Posts: 95
    Options
    Hello and Welcome :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
    MFP is the greatest diet aid tool I have ever found. If I had to write all this stuff down....well..you know- I haven't got the time, much less remember. :noway: Keep yourself accountable. Look up calories in foods your not sure about. Processed sugars and HFCS high fructose syrup are bad! :explode:
    Stay away from fast foods unless you know how many calories and what kind are in them. This is really about changing your life and way you eat forever. Grabbing food for comfort or boredom is no longer an option! You must be aware of what, when and where you are eating. :bigsmile: :huh: :bigsmile:
    Been there and done it for 25 years of gaining weight! :frown:
    So get started! Get psyhced! Get pumped! Grab your water bottles for plenty of filling/flushing H2O!
    We can do it!! :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: