how to get over your caffeine addiction.

Options
bearxfoo
bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
The one thing I can't break myself of is drinking soda (DIET only though). I know it's horrible for you, it's like... chemicals and whatever but I have a server caffeine addiction. If I don't get any, I get these headaches that are seriously devastating.

I want to stop drinking it, not only as its unhealthy but it's a needless money sink.

So, if you've been in this spot, how did you get past it? What did you do to make the pain less?

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Try drinking green tea! :)
    Natural caffeine, and a much lower dose than in a coffee.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    coffee flavored protein powder
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    i drink like 5 tea's a day
  • mms1268
    mms1268 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I am currently fighting my Diet Coke addiction as well. I am terrified of these headaches as whenever I do try and reduce my DC, the headaches come on with a vengeance! I am anxious to hear what others have to say!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    oh my,
    I used to drink about 5 pops a day...
    i gave it up 10 years ago (just for fun, really)
    and haven't drank a drop since!!
    When i tried to drink it again after about a month of not, i literally got sick
    and never touched it again.

I think the green tea suggestion is a good one!
    Also, just knowing once you give it up it'll make you sick once you try to drink it again might help :)
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    Maybe wean off. Maybe instead of a full cup have 3/4 of a cup then cut it back to half, etc. Or instead of three a day, have two, then one.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    give up caffeine? no way...its not unhealthy and good coffee aint all that expensive unless you add junk...I love coffee

why do that to yourself? its actually got some health benefits
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I drank caffeinated tea for a couple of weeks. I still drink tea every now and then.
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Options
    I can't say I've broken caffeine, but I've broken soda.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I get serious headaches from c affine too. I used to drink 32oz of pop before noon every day. I kicked the caffine about 10 years ago.

there are two ways, one, just do it! You will suffer major headaches for several days. take ibuprofen, CHECK YOUR PAIN RELIEVERS, ALOT OF THEM HAVE CAFFEINE IN THEM.

the other way is to just slowly decrease the amount of caffeine you have each day.

when I did it, I first cut out all after noon, then cut out entirely. I started by switching to a caffeine free pop, then a few years later I switched to decaf tea. So now no sugar substitutes and no caffeine, and no calories!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I am currently fighting my Diet Coke addiction as well. I am terrified of these headaches as whenever I do try and reduce my DC, the headaches come on with a vengeance! I am anxious to hear what others have to say!

Ask your physician about taking Topamax, it is for migraines and it makes carbonated beverages taste like crap. I used to drink 3 cans of diet coke a day and I have been taking it for three months now and have had two cans of diet coke the entire time. Just doesn't taste the same. Topamax helps the headaches.

I do drink coffee and I hear there are some good things about coffee and I can't be perfect. :)
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor first, but I used the weaning method, and if I got a caffeine withdrawal headache I took an Excedrin. The Excedrin has a bit of caffeine but also kills the headache so it's kinda like Nicorrette and gradually you can withdraw.
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    I periodically get hooked on caffeine and weaning myself off works for me. I just wait til I feel the slightest bit of that headache and drink a cup and maybe take some aspirin and in a few days I'm off the stuff! Good luck, the headaches are horrible if you let them get going, that is for sure!
  • wayneturbeville
    wayneturbeville Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought one 16oz diet coke a day and split it up wiened myself off of it slowly drank lots of water 8 plus cups a day flavored with Mio I have been off of diet coke a week and a half and I dont miss it.
  • ambutler0905
    Options
    It's hard. I was diet soda free from dec - jan (until my dad had triple bypass surgery) and broke down and had a pepsi. I've been trying to stop ever since. Today was day 1 with no soda. I did have a coffee this moring, but no carbonated drinks so far. Good luck the headaches usually only last a couple days.
  • Perswaysion
    Perswaysion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Another vote for tea. I was a serious Mt. Dew drinker and over a period of 3 months I'm down to a half gallon of tea a week and no soda.
  • TheLukePhone
    TheLukePhone Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did a 90 day trial of no caffeine at all, and found that the headaches came on after 3-4 days of no caffeine, and they were literally devastating.. for 1 day. It was manageable, but I dont recommend the cold turkey approach if you are a big caffeine drinker. I was 3+ energy drinks per day, so I not only stopped a $350+ /month habit, I didnt have a heart attack and die at 25!

I'm now 31, and I'm back to *MAYBE* 1 per week, sometimes none. A few coffees in the week to get me going on slow start days, but otherwise none.

I've done 2 diet Pepsi's since I started this plan (4 weeks now), and I had a root beer this past weekend at a party.

The caffeine habit isnt that serious if you do it in moderation; it's actually a recommended supplement in some circles!
  • sarafyna
    sarafyna Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm a Coca-Cola addict :)

First you treat it like any other addiction, admit it's there and then decide to take action against it.

I am a 3 - 4 coke a day drinker usually. I haven't touched one in almost 2 1/2 weeks. A year ago, I went three months without one but that was due to medication that made it taste like absolute crap. I haven't really had any headaches this go round because I've been substituting with unsweetened tea. Usually a BC powder will knock a caffeine headache out as it has a decent amount in it. The headaches will go away as your body gets used to not having it. Honestly, I don't think it's the caffeine that your body will miss so much as the sugar. I still get really tired (like i feel like I'll sink through the floor) around 2:30 and at that point will eat a small Clif bar or grab some fruit and in a few minutes will feel much better.

Good luck and remember it's not you, it's them and it's just better that way!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I weened myself off ~1.2g of caffeine daily, just so I wouldn't need so much daily, slowly cut out it out little by little to lessen withdrawal
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options

Ask your physician about taking Topamax, it is for migraines and it makes carbonated beverages taste like crap. I used to drink 3 cans of diet coke a day and I have been taking it for three months now and have had two cans of diet coke the entire time. Just doesn't taste the same. Topamax helps the headaches.

I do drink coffee and I hear there are some good things about coffee and I can't be perfect. :)

I don't know if I would recommend topamax just for caffeine withdrawl headaches. I took it for a couple years (2-3) for chronic migraines (17+ years now) and it did have other serious side effects. Can cause kidney stones if you don't drink lots of water, weird parts of your body getting "pins and needles" so painful it wakes you up (like your middle toe or the middle of your shin for no reason). It does make carbonated things taste yucky but it also makes you puke if you drink alcohol (it's used for alcoholics trying not to drink too), although it made me feel "drunk" when I first started taking it and raised my dose. It also makes it really hard to talk correctly. Like I would be thinking of "let's take the dog for a walk" and "let's take the blender to cement" would come out. Totally non-sensical words/thoughts that appear somewhere between your sensible brain and your mouth that will say anything. Definately worked great for migraines and I did lose a bunch of weight on it (it would make me not be hungry and forget to eat) but the only reason I would take it, would be for actual medical need.

As for the caffeine addiction, tapering off is probably the best advice. Just drink less and less each day till eventually you don't need it at all. (although, I'm a total caffeine addict (drinking a diet coke right now) so I have no experience in actually giving it up) :happy: