Upper Body Cardio?

Options
ebony__
ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
What are some calorie burning upper body cardio excercises you can do if your leg/s are injured or need to be rested or anything like that?

Replies

• Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Row machines could work depending on your lower body injury.
  • ebony__
    Options
    Row machines could work.

yeah awesome... and kyaking nd stuff to i guess. (plus that just sounds fun :)
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing with just the punches. It's surprising how much it can get your HR up.
  • ebony__
    Options
    Kickboxing with just the punches. It's surprising how much it can get your HR up.

Ive never done kick boxing but id imaginf even just with the punches youd still be putting a fair bit of emphasis on your lower body muscles??? Hmm would be great for QLs though
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Wouldn't that just be boxing? ;)
  • AlisaRN
    AlisaRN Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Some gyms have bikes that you "pedal" with your hands.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I think this would depend on the extent of the injury......In the past year I have dealt with a torn groin and two broken big toes.........Both times I was able ride recumbent bike and elliptical.....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Some gyms have bikes that you "pedal" with your hands.
    yep. it's called a krankcycle. this can be a pretty good workout.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Medicine Ball Throws or Slams. Medicine Ball...

Overhead throws: Take a medicine ball and throw it hard straight up in the air, let it hit the ground, grab it and throw it up again, repeat and try to keep a fast pace.

Chest throws: Find a brick or cement wall and throw the ball into it as hard as you can catch it on the rebound, rinse & repeat.

Slams: Hold the ball overhead and use all of your force to slam it down in front of you, catch it and do it again.

do 10 sets of 10 reps with a 30 second break in-between.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Anything really that causes your heart to pound rapidly, counts as cardio. So, that being said, normally things done really quickly can do this.... boxing, rowing, pushups.pull ups, sit ups... if possible.... I can't remember the name, but sit down on the ground with a ball, like a basketball, and move it from one side of the body to the other, then repeat.

As long as it is quick your heart will respond by speading up.
  • jb510
    jb510 Posts: 2
    Options
    Stretch bands are good for resistance but not cardio
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Wouldn't that just be boxing? ;)

Touche
  • ebony__
    Options
    I think this would depend on the extent of the injury......In the past year I have dealt with a torn groin and two broken big toes.........Both times I was able ride recumbent bike and elliptical.....

Not just talking about injuries, and yes you are still able to do a lot with certain injuries but for the optimal healing of the muscles and to prevent scar tissue you probably shouldnt have still been doing them.
    But there may be lots of reasons someone need to not use their legs.
    I dont actually have an injury, but deal with lots of people that do, and i do want to find out about more upper body cardio purely to give my gastrocs a rest because they currently hate me :)