Pedometer at work question?

Options
hey! i'm new to this forum and i figured i would ask a question i have been wondering.

i am a waitress and hostess at ihop, so i am constantly walking around. i use a pedometer; on the days that i am serving i walk about six miles and on the days that i hostess i walk about 4-6 miles during my shift. does this count as a workout since i am walking so much or should i not count it? i want to know, so i can log it in my diary if it is considered a workout. thank you!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be a workout, you should have your settings on MFP set up to where your job is factored into your normal daily calories. So if you're a waitress and on your feet all day, you'd probably want to have your activity level set to Active. (I believe that "waitress" is actually even one of the occupation examples that MFP uses to explain that activity level. :) )
  • docjoe
    docjoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to say about waitressing and exercise but just wanted to take this opportunity to say:

Mmmmmm, IHOP!
  • rottiegirl22
    rottiegirl22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sucks that it doesn't count,doesn't it? I walk 5-6 miles a day at my job too, and even my doctor always told me it didn't count as exercise whenever she would talk to me about losing weight. She always said it had to be over and above my normal daily routine.
  • bridget1944
    bridget1944 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try and walk the track and do 10,000 steps--per Dr.Oz. I count that as my exercise in calories burned.....
  • geoffjball
    Options
    I disagree. I would put your "normal routine" down to what you do on your days off, and count the walking for sure.

rottiegirl22, your doctor is basically saying walking 6 miles is negligible, which of course is untrue, since if your job was to play video games but you walked 6 miles as exercise I'm sure she would count that.

Perhaps what she (your doctor) meant is that if you are simply maintaining your current weight at the amount you eat (and walk at work), you would have to walk more to lose weight.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you entered your activity level as. If you put sedentary, then yes count it, but if you put active, then no.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Check out the fitbit...it's perfect for you.
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I count mine. I work at a daycare and am constantly going. I also attend school and have to walk on campus. I just bought a fitbit that calculates every step I take. On the website you put in all of your information and it tells you how many calories you "burn" on a normal day. Then it calculates what you burn above that. It recommends that you walk at least 10,000 steps/day. It also syncs with MFP. If your interested, check out the website, fitbit.com and NO,I don't work for them or get anything from them for recommending their product. I've just used it and like it.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I would put your "normal routine" down to what you do on your days off, and count the walking for sure.

rottiegirl22, your doctor is basically saying walking 6 miles is negligible, which of course is untrue, since if your job was to play video games but you walked 6 miles as exercise I'm sure she would count that.

Perhaps what she (your doctor) meant is that if you are simply maintaining your current weight at the amount you eat (and walk at work), you would have to walk more to lose weight.
    Agree, it is a workout! You burn more then others that don't move around all day! Count it!
  • SirBeechBum
    Options
    I think the reason this cannot be categorized as cardio/exercise is because it does not elevate your heart rate to any sustained cardio target zone. If you ask your doctor, I’m pretty sure he will tell you the same thing. Good luck…
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I wear a pedometer at work also. I have a desk job. I too would like to make 10,000 steps in a day. So with my trips to the water cooler, filing cabinets, storage rooms and using the washroom on the upper floor - I made 6388 steps today. If I had of left the building at noon and walked for 15 - 20 minutes I might have made the 10000.

No I didn't break a sweat - but I made some movement. This is the best I can do 4 days a week. I make up for it on the other 3 days!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I work in a job where I am on my feet and in constant motion while I am there - I don't wear a pedometer (or other calorie counting device) while I'm there. I have upped my activity level to account for my job and then I only add in true exercise calories (like going to the gym) mostly because my body is used to what I do at work. And while I know I burn calories while there, my heart rate isn't up and I'm not pushing myself. It is normal for me.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer to set myself as sedentary and then let logging activity (like that) add for the day. As others have said if you factored that into your activity level then you should not count it.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you set your activity to sedentary then you can count it as activity but if you factor it in to your lifestyle and list your job as active then it's included in your calorie count and you can't count it as activity.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have set my activity to sedentary. I made 12062 steps today at work. Because I got to leave the building to run errands. Ya!!