Quinoa... omg!

Options
megsybk
megsybk Posts: 27 Member
I was at target the other day and decided to buy Quinoa (i've been seeing a lot of recipes on Pinterest using it) and when I was making it tonight (thank GOODNESS for my rice cooker!) I was really worried about what I was getting myself into! My boyfriend looked at me like I was crazy when he saw it, but we were both pleasantly surprised!

Do any of you lovely people use Quinoa and if so, what are some of your favorite recipes?

Replies

• Bpowell76
    Bpowell76 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I heard of but been to afraid to try. What is the texture like? Is it like rice? I have been trying to open my mind to new things, so willing to give it a try.
  • clschaan
    clschaan Posts: 16
    Options
    its very good ... I've eaten it for about two years .. I usually toss it in my salads
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    I love it! It is very versatalie. You can have it cold with chopped bell peppers, olive oil, salt and pepper as a salad. It is also great added to stir frys, curried, and even as an oatmeal alternative, you just serve it hot with almond milk,cinnamon,fruit (preferably bananas)
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    Yes it is similar to rice, although it's different and has a bit of a nutty flavor.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529408-quinoa-what-is-your-favorite-recipe
    Here's a link (I hope) to this very same topic. Check it out. It has many good ideas.
  • megsybk
    Options
    Hm... I don't know how to describe the texture. It definitely was not like rice. My boyfriend said he thought the texture was that of caviar. I haven't ever had caviar so I can't comment on that. It has kind of a nutty taste. I made a crock pot fiesta chicken (found on spark people) recipe and put that over it. It was good! I'm not sure I would want to eat it solely by itself though. It has a lot of nutritional value so I'm glad that I liked it!
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time last week, bought a pre-flavored pack...black bean. I was pleasantly surprised! WIll definitely use it again, probably buy some plain and flavor it myself. The texture is different...not quite couscous, not quite rice...hard to describe!
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I've never tried it before but I've been curious about it. What is the taste/texture like?
  • ambutler0905
    Options
    try cooking in in broth instead of water. it gives it a great flaver that stands on its own. I add browned ground turkey and tomatoe sauce for a "spanish" rice type of meal (along with peppers, onions and garlic)
  • ambutler0905
    Options
    reminds me of tapioca with out the custard.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I use it quite a bit. I LOVE it, and it's so healthy! There are several websites dedicated to quinoa recipes, so I tend to find something new whenever I'm going to fix it. But if I just want something simple, i cook it in low-sodium chicken broth and add chopped veggies - whatever I on hand. It makes a great side dish! Also, you can get quinoa flakes you can bake with. I've made muffins, pancakes, cereal - very good!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    The texture is like a fine rice or barley.
  • epursey
    epursey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I LOVE quinoa! I make a yummy pineapple quinoa stir-fry.

Basically I saute some onion, a bit of garlic and mushrooms. Add in the cooked quinoa and stir it up good. Add bite sized pieces of kale. Cover and let kale cook 3-4 min. Add pineapple chunks and fresh mint. Serve.

I've seen "mac&cheese" recipes but I am skeptical. I also have a recipe for a quinoa patty that I am going to try this week. I also like it cold.

I would say as well as a nutty flavor, I find it slightly crunchy. To boost flavor you can cook it in broth. I have never added butter to the broth while cooking it but I bet you could do that to.

6973542137_56ec22d278.jpg
  • smcolton
    smcolton Posts: 78
    Options
    Banana, blueberry and walnut quinoa

2 cups cooked quinoa
    1/4 cup ground flax seed

1.5 cups blueberries - I used frozen and thawed them
    2 medium bananas - sliced
    1/2 cup walnut pieces

6 eggs
    1/2 cup milk

8-10 tsp agave nectar (or honey)

Mix quinoa and flax seed. Put in a oblong cake pan.
    Layer sliced bananas on top of quinoa
    Layer blueberries on top of bananas
    Sprinkle walnuts on top

Mix eggs and milk, pour over the quinoa, bananas, blueberries and walnuts.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Drizzle with the agave or honey

10 servings - 156 calories each serving
  • jolie8
    jolie8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love it! I tried it about a year ago and have been enjoying with chicken, fish and vegetables. I've basically used it as a rice substitute but after reading these posts, I now have some other ideas of how I can eat it. I like the idea of trying it as an oatmeal or using it to stuff peppers. Oh, I actually did have it at a Cuban restaurant recently. It was mixed with some type of cheese and stuffed into a spicy pepper and it was delicious!
  • jolie8
    jolie8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing:smile:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I was at target the other day and decided to buy Quinoa (i've been seeing a lot of recipes on Pinterest using it) and when I was making it tonight (thank GOODNESS for my rice cooker!) I was really worried about what I was getting myself into! My boyfriend looked at me like I was crazy when he saw it, but we were both pleasantly surprised!

Do any of you lovely people use Quinoa and if so, what are some of your favorite recipes?

In the rice cooker do you cook it just like you would rice?
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love it! Eat it all the time. Just use it as a grain. Boil it like rice.
  • megsybk
    Options
    Not ever having cooked or tasted Quinoa before, I thought it came out great using the rice cooker. The directions were the same as they are for cooking regular rice (add x amount of uncooked quinoa with x amount of water) so my logic was that the rice cooker could be used. I thought it came out well! I probably would've ruined it on the stove! haha.

I will probably use low sodium chicken stock next time though!
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking I need to try some.