Hello! 6 foot 4 25 year old from Norfolk, VA! (long)

Options
megsybk
megsybk Posts: 27 Member
Hi everyone!

I joined myfitnesspal last week and i'm hoping that this is finally it. I've been a habitual dieter my entire life and I'm tired of it! I got weighed last March when I went to a doctors appointment and they told me I was 305 (the weight I had been maintaining for a couple years. I went in 3 weeks later for a follow up exam and they told me I was 350! How could that be? Gaining 45 lbs in 3 weeks. I was sure they were going to run a battery of tests to find out what was going on with me. I was relieved! SOMETHING IS WRONG! SCORE! Nope.... not a chance. They chalked it up to a dyslexic nurse... she must've just written 305 but really I was 350. Now remember, I was used to 305. I was actually relieved because I had worked my way up to 310, so at the initial appointment my thought was, SWEEEEET I lost 5 lbs. GO ME!

Here are some things that contribute to my struggles:
1. I'm 6'4 so my ENTIRE life people have told me, you're proportional to your height! You're beautiful, you don't need to lose weight!
2. I LOVE food. Now, I'm not the person who hoards hostess cakes in my dresser or comes home and has a huge snack and then has a huge dinner. I'm not (for the most part) a bored eater, although if I'm around food during an emotional time, I am sometimes an emotion eater, but I'm working on it. I just plain love food. I savor each bite (and then some). Part of my problem is that I love sweet and savory foods... not so much in to plain, bland foods, but really, who is?
3. I am a very busy person.
4. I started dating the love of my life 2 1/2 years ago..... need I say more? (I've gained about 50 lbs since we started dating.... hence the 350 as opposed to 305 when I was at the Dr. last year)

So there's a little about my weight and my struggles... here is a little about me, as a person!

I live in Norfolk, VA and am the Executive Director of a local advocacy program for the City. Over the last year I created a board of Directors and established a non-profit organization for the program to operate under. It was a big undertaking, and I had pretty much ZERO experienced when I was offered the job, but I absolutely love it!

In 3 months I will be moving moving an hour and a half away from the City I have called home for my entire life to begin my Masters in Social Work at Virginia Commonwealth University. I'm SO excited but absolutely terrified to leave my job.

I have a wonderful boyfriend and 2 cats and I absolutely love my life! I hope to meet a lot of people on this message board and continue my weight loss journey for more than 2 weeks (my past track record.... ;/)

Replies

• tigerbabe2
    tigerbabe2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome, thx fro sharing r story with us. Feel free to add me :P
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hello megsy. Thanks for the friend accept
    Mfp friends are great, I'm 6'7 my self and was always told you look fine...... But I. Shore didn't feel. It. Anyways long story short..... I got diabetes at 435 and I. Guess I lost it at 299, I went to get a check. Up and a1c what ever that's is says I'm not diabettic anymore. So just keep your head up and keep trucking! Wow 6'4 with all due respect... That is sexy! The tallest girlfriend is ever had was lke 5,7
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    thats awesome armando
  • megsybk
    megsybk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks Armando! Any tips for staying on track?? That has been my biggest struggle throughout the years! Thanks for responding and for adding me.

I LOVE being 6'4! I honestly wish I was a couple inches taller. I'd love to be 6'6!
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    tips to stay o track hmm.... i really just got angry!! anytime i wanted to eat something bad id just get angry and almost yell at my self. lol seems crazy but i had to do it myself cause after my divorce i was all alone exept for my son and mom pop,so moving from cali to tennessee was very lonely. put away the tv ! i took the tv outa my bedroom so that i can sleep earlier and be at gym . i sold my xbox360 so all i have now is tv in living room .simple stuff like that will help you . being 6'7 i was alwasy asked if i could dunk the basketball,and at 435 ofcourse i couldnt, but now at 299 i can! so one of my biggest motivations was being able to lose enough weight to DUNK! now that i can do that my next goal is to lose 25 lbs by my birthday in july . just keep youre head up megsy, if you ever need any help let me know ive los about 135lbs and its a pain in the *kitten* ! my knees hurt my back hurts my ankles , everything hurts but you gotta keep trucking !! its all well worth it .
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Welcome and thanks for sharing, I am only 5'11, but had a lot of weight to lose also. Lost over 78 lbs before MFP and 17 lbs when I joined, still have a ways to go, but you can do this!! Add me if you would like.
  • bethmac_va
    Options
    Welcome! I haven't posted before but when I saw your topic line, I had to say hello! :)

I'm your neighbor from Chesapeake. I work at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center. I too, joined a week ago. I guess I should formally introduce myself in a new post. :)
  • breakbad
    breakbad Posts: 13
    Options
    Great job with your weight loss so far! Feel free to friend me if you would like. This site will be a huge help with keeping track of your foods and calorie intake. Stick with it. If you are going back to school, you need to stay strong cause you will be tired and want to eat. There is a great book that is hitting the shelves in May called "Walking on Eggshells" it was written by a social worker at John's Hopkin's Hospital. It's for the caregiver but would be great reading material for you and your colleagues at school. There is an older version on the shelver now but the new book is being released in May. I say wait for the new one as there is more information inside.

Feel free to stay in touch with the weight loss. It's great to be here and get support from those that are also trying to lose weight and overcome all the obstacles involved!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    do a search in groups for totally tall women, lots of us tall women around to give tips & sympathise. One of the main issues many of us find is unlike short women, losing 20+lbs makes not a jot of difference to our clothes sizes or even appearance. very frustrating & demoralising esp whjen reading success story posts like, 10lbs down & 2 dress sizes lower from shorties. lol
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This is the best site ever to help you stay motivated and find lots of great friends to encourage you along the way.

I wanted to invite you to join the Totally Tall Women of MFP group, everyone there is 5'9" or taller and its great to be able to ask other women their thoughts on matters that might not be relevant to someone that is shorter. (I am 5'11" and started my journey at 298 pounds.)

Feel free to add me if you want another pal to help keep you motivated!

~Eli

Edited to add link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/90-totally-tall-women-of-mfp
  • Iceylyons
    Iceylyons Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I sent a request. I am on the WV side =) I used to be taller but I've shrunk 3 inches in 10 years. So now I am 5'6". The only thing that has saved me from complete depression is the fact that I also carry my weight well, all over, very even. However, I know I am way too heavy. It's a hard road and the hardest thing anyone will do, just about, is to lose weight, come to terms with their weight, and fix it.

Good luck to you during your move! =)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Now I'm not even close to 6'4 (about 6'0), but I've been told all my life that I carried my weight well. But when I realized I was approaching a size 16 in pants I knew I wasn't carrying it too well any more. It took me about a year and 1/2 but I'm down to just under 160 and a size 8. Very happy now. Just need to maintain it, which as we all know is the hardest thing to do! Welcome and I hope you have great success on MFP. There are many great and supportive people on here. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!