help find my pace

Options
mstaser
mstaser Posts: 657 Member
I have been running for a couple times a week for about a month now. Still can't run a full mile, but thats not really the question here. Usually I run at a decent pace. That is comfortable for me. Tonight I ran with my wife who's pace is quit a bit slower. My normal pace (when actually running) is sub 9 min. My wife is around a 10 minute. Tonight I slowed down to stay with her and made it farther then I ever have on the road. I have made a full mile running mountain bike trails. My question is, should I slow down and just try and keep a steady pace the whole run or should I keep my comfortable faster pace and just keep pushing it to go further and further?

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    depends on your goal...
    why not do 2 runs at your normal speed, and then a longer/slower one to work on endurance?

i am working my way up to a 10k, currently doing intervals 7 minutes run, 2 minutes walk. next week will be run 10, walk 1. i always push about the same, which means my average speed goes up a little every time, whilst maintaining about the same average heart rate. it works for me, but then my only goal is to be able to run 10k in one go, no races planned, no speed goal, nothing. so this works for me.

IMO it really just depends on what you want to accomplish.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Sub nine minutes, but can't make it a mile definitely means you are over-pacing yourself. Slow yourself down and run at what's considered a conversational pace, where you could talk to someone while running at that pace. Once you can get some distance going, you can start working on increasing your pace.

When I started running, it was on a treadmill. And I got up to where I could run for an hour solid at around a 10:15-10:30 min per mile-ish pace. The first time I ran outside I was dying before I made it a half a mile and had to stop to walk and catch my breath. Then I repeated the same thing again. Finally, the next time I started running, checked my pace on my RunKeeper app. I was trying to run at a sub-nine minute pacing. Once I slowed myself down to what my actual comfortable pace was, I easily killed the run mileage I set out to do that day.

Just because you can do short distances at a higher pace, doesn't mean that's your pace. That'd be like a sprinter saying that's their minutes per mile pace, even though they can't conceivably maintain that pace for a distance like that. (using an extreme simply to illustrate the point) :)
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest to keep a moderate pace when you run. Studies show that burning fat factor is in it's highest when you run moderately. Running to a higher pace can risks the muscles to burn as fuel. You know you are running moderately when you are not to the point that you have difficulties of breathing. Hope I did help you a bit.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends on your goals. If you're running fast enough that you can only do a mile at your current pace, and found that you can go further when you're running with your wife, it means you're running too fast to sustain for distance. Which isn't a bad thing, if your goal isn't distance, but if you'd like to add more, you'll need to pace yourself better, add mileage, and work on speed once you get the miles.

If your goal is speed, though, by all means, keep going the pace you're going, so long as it's comfortable for you, and not a strain. I have a friend who goes out and does a bit over a mile, every day, at around a 7:30 pace, and he has no interest in adding miles, he just likes to go out and run for that mile. Works for him. If you want to add distance, try slowing it down, and you'll be able to add miles onto your runs.

Ideally, if you're trying to add distance but keep up speed in the long run, you'll want to do a combination of both types of running during the week, because they'll train different muscles. Play around with it, see what works for you. That's the beauty of running; it fits every body, and every lifestyle.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Definitely slow down your pace and build your endurance base. You will find that this method will help you both log more miles and eventually lower your pace. Also, using a HRM for your runs will help you find your "recovery" pace.

The McMillan running calculator is a great resource for dialing in a pace for specific training runs. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator
  • mstaser
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I understand you points and will slow it down. It will at least make my runs last longer which is obviously better. I don't have any desire to be able to run a marathon or anything but would like to be able to knock out a couple miles if I had to. I will slow it down and push my distance and worry about speed later.
  • mstaser
    Options
    Thanks again for the advice everyone. I ran tonight and slowed things down a bit. I was able to actually run a full mile without any walking. Thanks Again.