????? Can you answer ??????

Options
I just read that one of you couldn't use up all your calories. That you were already full and didn't want any more...

Another of you said you MUST eat that amt of calories as MFP suggests or your body won't burn calories/lose weight?

So... I thought it was a GOOD thing if I didn't use up all my calories????

I guess I am confused.

If my reading says I didn't use... let's say 500 calories today (what happened in real life, mind you! I thought I was doing good not using them all up???) ... I should eat 500 calories before bed???

Please forgive me. I'm not only new *here*... I am new to dieting in general.

Educate me!

Love,
Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just read that one of you couldn't use up all your calories. That you were already full and didn't want any more...

Another of you said you MUST eat that amt of calories as MFP suggests or your body won't burn calories/lose weight?

So... I thought it was a GOOD thing if I didn't use up all my calories????

I guess I am confused.

If my reading says I didn't use... let's say 500 calories today (what happened in real life, mind you! I thought I was doing good not using them all up???) ... I should eat 500 calories before bed???

Please forgive me. I'm not only new *here*... I am new to dieting in general.

Educate me!

Love,
    Carrie
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat all of your calories to keep your metabolism going but please... please do not force yourself to eat... you'll just get sick to your stomach. Just try to eat things that are higher in cals and ofcourse good for you.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    i was confused too, but i read the article "living with obesity at 700 calories per day" (found it on the message board here) and it is all making sense...i have spent years working out, under-eating and practically starving myself thinking that's how a person loses weight...it obviously never worked or i wouldn't be on this site! so now i am doing all that i can to use up my calories (but using them by eating healthy foods)...i am still new to this change and, as i expected (the article warns you), i have gained a few pounds as my body is adjusting to all this food it hasn't been used to getting....i am definitely hopeful that once my body gets used to this change the weight will come off....my advice for you is to: read that article - it REALLY puts it all into perspective....if you have extra calories to consume, you should!!!!(just don't do it immediately before going to bed - give yourself a few hours of active time)...and if you have those spare cals left at the end of the day - i would suggest eating healthy foods or a glass of milk (as opposed to a high fat, high cal junkie food)...but that's just my opinion:smile: good luck to you!
    :flowerforyou: shelley
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9614-newbies-please-read-me

Read these other threads too, they're all very helpful :wink:
  • dbsteph00
    Options
    I've read that you need to consume atleast 1000 calories a day to keep your metabolism from going into shock and holding onto stored fat.
    NO don't eat the rest of your calories! the next day just try to reapproach your meal plan, make sure you stay above 1,000 calories and below your suggested amount.

Check out www.truthaboutabs.com Mike geary is a genious. I just bought the ebook and have started his exercises. I feel more toned, and sweat like a hog while I work out.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I say YES eat all your cals per day
    Try to space them out..I eat every 2hrs...
    A handful of almonds, kashi bar, some whole wheat toast, etc etc

Kim
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I just posted a new post on this subject. It's long, and boring and technical,
    but it explains everything (I think). give it a read, it may be helpful if you can get through the whole thing.
    (if you think reading it is bad, try researching all the articles and tech studies....yuck!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    I agree 100%. Plan your meals out the day before to consume the calories. I'm not an "eater", I'm more like what this article is about. Eating is a "job" for me. So it's all new to me too. I'm sitting here at the computer trying to finish off my calories (with almonds, quaker choc chip rice cakes, granola bar)....more healthy calories. I will plan my meals out tomorrow and save a bit for a treat tomorrow night, as I love diet coke and reduced fat chips!!!!!
    I just posted a new post on this subject. It's long, and boring and technical,
    but it explains everything (I think). give it a read, it may be helpful if you can get through the whole thing.
    (if you think reading it is bad, try researching all the articles and tech studies....yuck!)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I've read that you need to consume atleast 1000 calories a day to keep your metabolism from going into shock and holding onto stored fat.
    NO don't eat the rest of your calories! the next day just try to reapproach your meal plan, make sure you stay above 1,000 calories and below your suggested amount.

Check out www.truthaboutabs.com Mike geary is a genious. I just bought the ebook and have started his exercises. I feel more toned, and sweat like a hog while I work out.

As many people here have said - this doesn't work in practice. It may work in the short run, you may loose some pounds but this is staving yourself. When you stop dieting, you'll probably gain weight quickly.
    Please read all the things that are listed in the post for newbies.