Training to Run-- Advice please!

Options
cschiff
cschiff Posts: 209 Member
Hello! I have wanted to run for a long time... I do not mean run a marathon or anything, but I'd like to be able to run a few miles without stopping! I can do cross training cardio with ease and do several miles that way, but whenever I try to run, I am honestly out of breath (this is embarrassing!!!) after about 1/4 mile.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I've heard people say "time your breathing" but I don't really know how. I just find that once I get started I feel like my lungs/heart won't keep up with my legs.

If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it!

Replies

• v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Absolutely give the Couch to 5K program a try. There are several aps available to download which will teach you how to get to that long distance running a week at a time. You start out by running 1 min at a time and work up to half an hour. I NEVER ran before this year and it worked for me! Good luck in your goal!
  • 0651matt
    0651matt Posts: 6
    Options
    This works for me:

It takes me a little while for my lungs to get going but this works well for me. As I am inhaling (through my nose) I count one, two. then blow out mouth and I just keep doing that repeatedly. Before you know it, it will become second nature and your breathing will become much better as you run. Also, try slowing your pace down just a bit until you can get your breathing down. Might give this a try! Hope it works for you.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly! Couch-to-5k sounds like a great program. I just read through it yesterday and will be starting soon. Even I think I can do this, after years of pain and immobility.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Same as above: C25K, count your breathing, and run slower. Run really slow until you build up your distance, then work on running a little faster.
  • skeck
    skeck Posts: 46
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed! I can absolutely relate. C25K is a great program.

However, this is what I do and it works wonderfully! I do run/walk intervals. It sounds like it would be "too easy", but it's wonderful. I jog for 4 minutes and walk for 1 and then repeat. I do this starting right away. I can easily go for 40 minutes or so using this method. If I were just to jog, I could only go about 15. So, this is helping me to prepare physically and (most importantly for me) MENTALLY!

Good luck!
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Im starting couch to 5K today. Join me!
  • jjeremay
    jjeremay Posts: 2
    Options
    Try timing your breathing with your footsteps. Over time, you'll be able to take more and more steps with each breath.

Sign up for a 5k. Once you're "pot-committed" you will think about it more and be more likely to get out there and work towards it.

Good luck!!
  • gstanley4
    gstanley4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K!
  • MMH86
    MMH86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Im starting it today too! DO IT with us! : )

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    if you are out of breath, you are running too fast. Slow down. Speed will come in time!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've been in the army for 11 years now and run 5-6 days a week so it comes easy for me but my fiancee started running with me last September and she had never run a day in her life even though she looked to be in great shape. When she started she could hardly run 2 minutes at a time before she would be dying.

So what I had her do was pick a point in the distance and she would run to it as fast as she could. Once she reached it she would start walking, then repeat. Pretty soon she was running a mile straight. She ran 3 days a week (MON, WED, FRI) and every friday she would try to go a 1/4 mile further than her previous record. Now she is able to run over 3 miles straight!
  • BurkeshireFarms
    BurkeshireFarms Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't fret. It takes time to work up to some longer distances. Agree totally with what 0651Matt says about breathing. At first it will seem very forced then you tend to not notice at all.

Some things that worked for me when starting out:

~ Relax the arms and drop the legs into long gentle strides rather than short, choppy steps on your toes. Running is a total body workout. Simplified movement eases breathing and conserves your energy. Basically cover as much ground as possible with as little movement as possible (if that makes sense)

~ Run at a speed that you are comfortable with. There is no shame when starting off to walking a minute or two then jogging for five. The point is if you are comfortable jogging at 4mph, and still work up a sweat after the workout, then you've accomplished your goal. You can build up speed and time later. If you run too hard too quickly, you're only going to despise the exercise. Not to mention you could casue injury to yourself.

~ Finding a distraction: I use an MP3 player and play tunes that I find highly motivating. This does a couple of things:
    1. It takes your mind off the work at hand.
    2. Music typically forces your body into a rythem . When your body finds this repetition each and every time, it becomes a comfort zone of sorts - pushing you into the direction of my first point.
    3. Helps avoid the clock. Nothing worse than watching the seconds tick by. Music just allows the time to fly by.

~Finding a distraction pt 2: Get lost in your own mind. Think about other things like work, home life, or Obama-care. Anything that allows you to avoid the sound of your own breath and the pounding of your own feet.

~ Speed intervals: Speed intervals help strengthen endurance as well as increase the speed in which you can run. For instance, I will run SI once a week on a treadmill for a total of 3.1 miles. I will start off the first 5 minutes at 6mph. Once I hit the 5 minute mark, I increase my speed to 8mph for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes is up, I decrease back down to 6mph for 3 minutes. Then repeat the process through the entire workout

Besides increasing time and endurance, I find that running SI also just takes your mind off the total run and the process in which you are doing it. Instead, you focus more on the small chunks of time and completing each individual milestone. I find that after running at 8mph for 2 minutes, that running 6mph just isnt that bad and I actually look forward to the 6mph the next time it comes up.

I don't claim to be some running guru, but I'm just offering up advice that I found to have worked for me. These tricks (and others) helped me get to a point where I can run around 15-20 miles a week.
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel. When I started running 2 years ago I couldn't go for 1 minute. So I started by walking for 5 minutes, then run for 30 seconds, then walk 5, run 30 seconds, over and over until I finished my 30-45 minute workout. Then the next week I moved 30 seconds from the walk time to the run time. I kept doing that till I was able to run 3 minutes and walk 2:30, then run 4 and walk 1:30, then run 5 minutes and walk 30 seconds, then finally I just didn't stop for the 30 seconds. it was by accident, because I used a timer while running outside and somehow the timer got turned off. By the time I realized it, I had been running for over 10 minutes.

7 months after I started, I ran/walked my first half marathon with my daughter. Finished in 3 hours 28 minutes.
    12 months later I did my second half marathon and ran an entire thing, stopping only to walk through the water stations and for 1 potty break. I finished in 2 hours 43 minutes.
    Oh did I mention when I started I was 343lbs, at my first half I was 325, and my second I was 285?
    And today at 270 I just ran a 5K (practice run, not a race) in 35:53, that is an average pace of 11:30 or 5.2 mph.

You can do this, just start slow and keep at it. Pay attention to your body and though you need to push a bit, don't push too hard.
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It can be so frustrating when your lungs are dying to stop and your muscles feel like they're just getting started.

I agree that using an mp3 player can really help you keep a good regular stride. I always pick out my favorite high energy tunes, but you have to be careful to not go for the really fast beat songs, or you'll fall into a fast rhythm. Maybe a playlist of various tempo songs, so you can pace yourself according to where you are in your run.

I used to run 3 times a week, and would like to get back into it. SO now I'm going to take my own advice, create a playlist and put my sneakers on. :P

Best of luck!
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've done C25k and like it okay, but when I decided three months ago that I wanted to do a half marathon and needed a training program for it, I did a little more research and decided to try "The Runner's World Smart Coach" (free smart phone app). It is awesome because it is customizes the program based on your current abilities and goals, not some generic program like C25k.
    You input a recent race time (if you don't have one, go out and run a mile and time yourself). For instance you can say you ran 1 mile in 13 minutes 12 seconds. Then you tell it your goal distance (perhaps you signed up to run a 10k). Then you give it a range of miles per week you can commit to (6 -10, 11 - 15, 16 - 20, etc.), a training level (maintenance, moderate, hard or very hard), which day of the week you want to be your "long run", and how many weeks until you want to reach your distance goal (say the 10k race is 12 weeks away). It then creates a custom schedule for you that mixes up "easy runs", "tempo runs", "speedwork exercises" and "long runs".
    I started in December, barely able to huff my way through a mile. This past Saturday, only three months later, I ran my very first half marathon (13.1 miles)! I never could have done that with a generic training plan. And it was totally free.
  • lisadove
    lisadove Posts: 1
    Options
    I did a learn to run clinic through my local running room. Lots of running stores will have similar clinics. You start off slow doing intervals and gradually build up. I continued on and did a 5k run group as well. I didn't mind the running but didn't take it as seriously as the others in my clinics. I found prefer to do it on my own on nature trails.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There's so much great advice here, so I won't repeat it all but will just give you a summary of what worked for me:
    - find a program to follow that guides you through running/walking intervals. C25K is good but there are others. Of course you can do it without a program, but I found it helpful to have concrete instructions on when to run and when to walk and when to progress and when to repeat.
    - run slow. REALLY slow. You need to build up endurance first, speed can follow
    - get good shoes and a supportive bra (mostly for the ladies!), they make a difference.
    - progress at your own pace. If you need to repeat days or weeks in your program, that's aboslutely fine.
    - if you feel pain, slow down and evaluate it. If it doesn't go away after your run, apply ice. If it doesn't go away in a day or two, get professional advice.
    - enjoy your sense of achievement!

Like you, I always wanted to run but never thought I could. In January 2011 I couldn't run for more than a minute without thinking I was going to die. Now I've run a few races, have trained for half marathon (which I had to pull out of due to injury) and hvae 8k, 14k and half marathon races scheduled for the next few months.
    I still run slowly, but really I don't care. I AM A RUNNER (sorry to shout, but it's still exciting to me!).
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Same as above: C25K, count your breathing, and run slower. Run really slow until you build up your distance, then work on running a little faster.

I agree! I also couldn't run for more than a couple minutes non-stop in the summer. The steady build-up of minutes in C25K really worked for me! I had a hard time with breathing too. I slowed myself down and counted my breaths and it got easier. I inhale for a count of 4, then exhale for 4. For the first couple months that I ran, I didn't listen to music. I just constantly counted "1,2,3,4...5,6,7,8" over and over and over. Annoying, sure, but it worked! When I start to get tired or feel like I'm struggling, I make these breaths much deeper and more deliberate.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP last April, I walked. I was out of shape so I walked a lot. Near Dec., I started to do interval jogging. Now, I just jog slow. I tried to do the C25K and I found it unnatural for me. I listened to my body and legs and did as much as I could without injury. I ran over 30 miles last week and I just ran 10 miles today. Average pace of 13 something. It's not fast, but it's work and I know the speed will come.

If you are on Nike+, send me an email and we can be jogging friends. Just do the best you can, I promise it gets better. It just takes time and dedication.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Realize that it will not happen overnight....but it will happen with dedication to your goal! :) Great advice has already been posted. I will add that you should focus less on mileage and more on time. I have no experience with the C25K program, but I believe this program focuses on that aspect....increasing run time intervals.

There truly is a "wall" that you must break through. I still have to push myself through the first mile. Eventually, you will find that "comfortable" pace that puts in the zone. :)