HRM and Interval Training

Options
I just got a new HRM and I've learned that they're the most accurate with cardio exercises (if this isn't true, please clarify).
How accurate are HRMs with interval training like Jillian Michaels' DVDs which have a mix of strength and cardio exercises?

It said I burned 250 with Level 4 of Ripped in 30. I logged it as 230 to compensate for any inaccuracies.

Replies

• Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I believe that Jillian Michaels videos are more circuit training than interval training...but either way, I think as long as you are constantly moving, the reading should be accurate. I do believe in most of Jillian's video's she barely gives a break so you should be ok.

Also, 250 sounds right for *normal* people (I happen to burn way fewer calories than most normal people).
  • Razkler14
    Razkler14 Posts: 74
    Options
    Hopefully you have a good quality one that you can set to your personal heigh, weight, est... those are very accurate once you get it set to you and your "ranges" of heart rates from cardio to fat burning.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I just got a new HRM and I've learned that they're the most accurate with cardio exercises (if this isn't true, please clarify).
    How accurate are HRMs with interval training like Jillian Michaels' DVDs which have a mix of strength and cardio exercises?

It said I burned 250 with Level 4 of Ripped in 30. I logged it as 230 to compensate for any inaccuracies.

As long as it's still aerobic zone, the best accuracy you can get will still be there, if as Razkler says it has your stats.

Is is more interval in doing different intervals of types of workouts, or does she really push you to point you can't breath enough and the muscle being worked is burning with lactic acid?

The latter type of interval is anaerobic, but usually 15-30 sec, and then right back in the aerobic zone for recovery.
    And frankly, even though the estimate there may be inflated, it should make up for the unrecorded burn you keep getting later from doing anaerobic exercise.
  • hedwighigh
    hedwighigh Posts: 299
    Options

As long as it's still aerobic zone, the best accuracy you can get will still be there, if as Razkler says it has your stats.

Is is more interval in doing different intervals of types of workouts, or does she really push you to point you can't breath enough and the muscle being worked is burning with lactic acid?

The latter type of interval is anaerobic, but usually 15-30 sec, and then right back in the aerobic zone for recovery.
    And frankly, even though the estimate there may be inflated, it should make up for the unrecorded burn you keep getting later from doing anaerobic exercise.

My bad, Pickles11 is right. The DVDs are more circuit training.
    Jillian pushes you pretty hard, there are a few moves that allow you to take a breath but I can't really talk much during most of the work out. She does 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes of cardio, then 1 minute of abs and repeats this three times. I figure I burn the most during cardio (of course) and during her harder strength/ab moves (which are most of them). She usually has about one move per circuit that I would consider as a "breather move."