need to lose weight for lower back pain relief

Options
Hi, i have seen several doctors in the past few months for my lower back pain. i keep getting pills added to my daily regimen and really want to be pill free so I'm doing this in hopes that it will help take the extra unnecessary pressure off my lower lumber region.

Replies

• bperry83
    bperry83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise for weight loss has definately helped relieve my back pain (or atleast decrease it). I have had back pain for years and when I'm carrying a few extra pounds it hurts more often, with more intensity. That being said, you have to be really careful what type of exercise you do. Go for low impact, like walking or swimming (I found water aerobics especially helpful I'm in alot of pain). Have you talked to your doctor about exercising? What does he/she recommend? What is causing the lower back pain, or do you know?
  • dixnshae
    dixnshae Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's the pits isnt it! - you cant really get stuck in to the excercise like you might want to and have to take a more calculated approach. Apart from the general health benefits chronic back pain is one of the main reasons I am also trying to lose some weight. I figure its just not helping my spine to be carrying around all the excess. Besides reducing the calorie intake I'm focussing on low impact excercise - treadmill and eliptical trainer and remobilising my spine through stretching - mostly floor based pilates and yoga type moves - done very slowly and not taken too far. Freeing up the hips through stretching is also helping my back. All the best with your programme.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have grade 2 spondylolithesis (upto 50% slippage of my lumbar spine) and losing weight has helped me soooooo much, I no longer take pain killers and can get on with my daily life without pain.

Strengthening your back muscles will help you greatly - good luck
  • cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It will work! I have some bad disc's in my back, one of the main reason's I decided it was time to get the extra weight off, I have no lower back pain at all anymore. My physical therapist told me walking was one of the best things you could do for your back so that is what I started with and continue to do every few days, along with various other workouts. Good luck, I'm sure you will feel better soon!
  • dmolinek
    dmolinek Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree with the pill thing!! I had bad Sciatica in my lower back. I started attending a yoga class at our local YMCA and within a week it was under control. Two weeks it was gone! Was also a great way to lose some weight!:smile:
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    Everyone who is replying to dpm_adam: I'd love to add you too! I had back surgery in 2000 when I was 20. And been dealing with this pain and the complications. Finally stopped listening to the doctors who said I shouldn't work out because I figured the extra weight I was carrying around was going to kill me as much as the back pain. I'm down 61 pounds and halfway to my goal!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    When I was well over 300 lbs there were days I had to climb the bedpost to get myself out of bed in the morning. I had lower back pain something awful. It's a lot better now. I had a lot of problems like that. Now they're either gone or going away. I thought for sure I was going to be dead soon. Just stick with it. Your body will love you for it.