Something good to eat before work?

Options
As a college kid who works night shift, I don't like getting up before 11 if I don't have to. However it tends to mess up my calorie intake because I don't eat at the regular times. I'll get in a bowl of cereal or something light and be good until work. By the time I realize I'm hungry again, it's too late to make something and I feel weak through the first part of my shift. Today I did get a burger and tots from Sonic (shame on me, I know) and felt worse than usual.

I'm an unloader. I help unload a truck from 2-3 hours in the back room that is not air conditioned very well. Then I get a break. I guess I'm looking for something not so heavy as fast food and can keep me going until I break for lunch. Suggestions?

Replies

• jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt with granola tends to stick with me for a while. Also, mini frittatas (not sure of spelling) can be made ahead for quick breakfasts. Just use eggs, cheese, and veggies (or meats) and put in greased muffin tins, bake until eggs are mostly set. (if they're a little underdone, they will finish up in the microwave.) good luck :)
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I'm a student who works late nights and is also on an unusual schedule. I usually make a meal right beofre work, which includes a peice of chicken or some turkey meat and vegetables. Maybe some brown rice. It seems like a lot of cooking, but it's ready in about 6 minutes if I use frozen veges and instant rice. Honestly, It ends up being cheaper than packaged food. Also, I don't get usually get a meal break at work(VA law has no requirements for such), so I bring nuts and dried food in baggies and keep it with me to keep me energized through the night. If you're doing a lot of lifting at work it's good to get your protein. =]
  • bryonysten
    Options
    Sorry, just posted something similar on another board, but a protein based smoothie might be good, stick a couple of ice-cubes in it and it will keep

Favourites are: yoghurt, skim milk, choc protein powder, cocoa, oats and banana
    as above but with dates instead of cocoa
    as above but with peanut butter instead of oats

Give something like that a go, quick to make, reasonably cheap ingredients (especially if you ditch the protein powder) and keep you going for hours

Good luck