I have steak and Quinoa...I need Ideas

Options
jgoff3003
jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
Hello All,

I am planning dinner for tomorrow night and I have some steak in the freezer and some quinoa inthe pantry and I want to make something but need some ideas.

I was thinking a steak salad with the quinoa but I am not sure how to do it...please help!

Replies

• JoHola
    JoHola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey, I do a really lovely cajun chicken & quinoa recipe. I think it would be nice substituting the chicken for steak though. Im in the UK so only have UK measurements :smile: . Here it is:

4 skinless chicken breasts , cut into bite-sized pieces
    1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
    100g quinoa
    600ml hot chicken stock
    100g dried apricots , sliced
    ½ x 250g pouch ready-to-use Puy lentils
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 red onions , cut into thin wedges
    1 bunch spring onions , chopped
    small bunch coriander , chopped

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the chicken with the Cajun spice and arrange in a single layer in a roasting tin. Bake for 20 mins until the chicken is cooked. Set aside.
    Meanwhile, cook the quinoa in the chicken stock for 15 mins until tender, adding the apricots and lentils for the final 5 mins. Drain and place into a large bowl with the chicken, toss together.
    While the quinoa is cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan and soften the onions for 10-15 mins. Toss the onions into the quinoa with the coriander and some seasoning, then mix well.

PER SERVING 386 kcalories, protein 47g, carbohydrate 35g, fat 7 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 5g, sugar 15g, salt 1 g
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    When I ate meat, I would just cook it, chop it up, saute some vegetables (onions, zucchini, squash, etc.) and toss those in. Maybe some beans. It's good to do with tuna fish, too. I used to get a lot of protein that way. Now I just get a little less :)
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I personally love roasted vegetables mixed in with Quinoa. This would probably compliment the steak really well. There are different variations on it but I'll link you to one below.

And the steak I usually just tenderize the meat and but some small slashes across it and then grill with just some extra virgin olive oil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/health/nutrition/20recipehealth.html
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I would serve the steak simply cooked (grilled or BBQ) and serve it with a large mushroom stuffed with a quinoa 'risotto'.

Here's the basic quinoa risotto 'base'

quinoa (rinsed)
    Chicken or veg stock (a little more water than the quinoa pack says so you get the wet risotto texture)
    Garlic
    cream cheese (for the creamy cheesy taste)
    Parmesan- to garnish

Then add whatever veggies, herbs you want ie:

Mushrooms & parsley
    roasted butternut & sage
    tomato & basil
    courgette (zucchini) with chilli & lemon
    Broccoli and blue cheese
    pea & mint
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hey, I do a really lovely cajun chicken & quinoa recipe. I think it would be nice substituting the chicken for steak though. Im in the UK so only have UK measurements :smile: . Here it is:

4 skinless chicken breasts , cut into bite-sized pieces
    1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
    100g quinoa
    600ml hot chicken stock
    100g dried apricots , sliced
    ½ x 250g pouch ready-to-use Puy lentils
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 red onions , cut into thin wedges
    1 bunch spring onions , chopped
    small bunch coriander , chopped

Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the chicken with the Cajun spice and arrange in a single layer in a roasting tin. Bake for 20 mins until the chicken is cooked. Set aside.
    Meanwhile, cook the quinoa in the chicken stock for 15 mins until tender, adding the apricots and lentils for the final 5 mins. Drain and place into a large bowl with the chicken, toss together.
    While the quinoa is cooking, heat the oil in a large frying pan and soften the onions for 10-15 mins. Toss the onions into the quinoa with the coriander and some seasoning, then mix well.

PER SERVING 386 kcalories, protein 47g, carbohydrate 35g, fat 7 g, saturated fat 1g, fibre 5g, sugar 15g, salt 1 g

I am assuming this serves 4?
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't have an actual recipe but this might help on your food making adventures: http://www.supercook.com/