Active and Overweight??

Options
Looking for others out there who are active and overweight?

I've played sports pretty much my whole life, and I've always been overweight, heavy or fat...always the biggest one on the team, even at my smallest in HS when I was running cross country and playing hockey and soccer in the same season! I lost 15lbs last summer/fall and it was not easy, I tracked religiously and did something active every day. People started complimenting me...and I started to ease back on my training...and over the next 4 months gained the weight back. My biggest weakness is snacking and portion control.

I know what I need to do to lose the weight....I'm just struggling to find the motivation this time. My biggest tool in the past was jogging, and I'm getting over Achilles Tendonitis...so running is a no go for awhile, but I can walk! My fiance and I are training for a 50mile hike scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend (50 miles 3 days...not bad). Over the last few months I've eased back into hiking . I really need to get my butt in the gym in addition to our weekend training hikes and am lacking the spark I need to get me there.

I'm looking for some folks who have had or may have a similar weightless journey to mine? Share your stories and frustrations!

SW:215
CW:211
Mini-Goal:195 (Haven't been down to this weight in at least 3 years)
Goal:170
Height 5'8"

Thanks for reading!
-Kasey

Replies

• mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi Kasey,

I think we're pretty similar. I've always been in some kind of sport - soccer, swimming, martial arts - but am still overweight. Not unhealthy, just not at the weight I think I should be at. I also need a lot of motivation. I enjoy exercising, but I also have terrible eating habits! Feel free to add/message me!
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Same here!

I love being active, and would like to lose the 35 pounds I gained to get looking the way I looked a few years back. Because right now, I just look chubby! :P Unfortunately, for the last two year I was unable to go running, which was how I kept in shape before. Now that I can run again, I'm feeling a little shy about hitting the pavement. To work up to it, and get my sweat on without showing the world, I've been doing P90X, which I love. Now that spring is here, though, I better get my running shoes back on. No excuses, time to get back into the habit!

(and time to stop making popcorn, too. heh.)
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was big when I was young, but also very active. I played basketball for fun, did martial arts plus rode bike. I grew up had four kids n I am still active, but having kids and a few of life mishaps made me gain weight twice as much as I did before. So add me if you want. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i started out about 80 pounds overweight and i've always been active.

so for me weight loss is more about controlling my eating and calorie intake than exercising more.when i first started counting calories i was eating a little over 3500 calories a day on average. around 1000 more than i needed a day. the only reason why i was "only" 80 pounds over weight and not 160 pounds overweight is because i kept exercising. i'

snacking and portion control are definitely an issue for me. how i get around it is by not even having my trigger foods in the house. it's also helped that i was diagnosed with gluten allergies in november, so there went 90% of all the foods i overeat.

SW:224
    CW:204
    Mini-Goal:189. i havent been this far under 200 in about 8 years. i'm hoping i can reach this goal by mid june.
    Goal: 145
    Height 5'5"
  • freenewme
    freenewme Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Kind of the same only i didnt start getting active until i lost my first 100lbs. I would walk every day but now i cant sit still.but i still have about 30-40lbs i would like to lose.

Sw 400
    Cw 203
    Mini goal- 190 and run a 12min mile
    Goal 165-170 run a 8 min mile
    Hieght- 5'11"
  • madhousenmich
    madhousenmich Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a active kid but now I love to workout and I am about 70lbs overweight. I'm in between gyms right now so when I go to a new class I know people look at me like oh she won't last long and when the class is over I get "wow you did a good job"
    I know my problem is eating and so right now I need the push to get my eating right.
  • Cornpuff32
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! It was nice to read that there are folks out there going through some of the same frustrations I am....I knew there had to be! I think I might start a group, I feel like we're all in the same wheel house with our weight loss goals! I have a professional exam coming up in a few weeks, so I'll probably be scarce for a little while. After that it would be great to check in with some of you a couple a times a week. I'll look into getting a group going, and post back when I have news.

In the mean time, I hope that folks will use this thread, to motivate each other.

I went for a moderate paced walked last night for ~60 minutes....then undid the exercise with dinner at a Mexican place (made good food choice, but had a margarita). I hope to take advantage of the sunshine here and go for a walk during my lunch break today :)
  • TwtyMami35
    Options
    I just hit below the "obesity" mark last Tuesday. Let me tell you that being the "big girl" in an exercise class full of good-looking in shape people was not fun, but I realized I was doing it for health reasons. I kept going. I am currently 182 lbs. the most I ever weighed was 280 lbs. this was right after I had my 2nd child. I made a decision to be able to run around with her when she was ready. She's 4 now. She doesn't do anything, BUT run. LOL....

Spin cycle, Zumba, Strength Training and Cardio mix, plus kickboxing are the current activities in which I participate. I have lost a total of 36 lbs since January 2nd (my birthday).

There are many of us that are overweight, but we're here to support each other. We are not alone. I have 7 lbs to go before reaching my first goal. I am ultimately setting my eyes on the prize of weighing 150lbs. I will achieve!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
  • crivera12398
    Options
    Yes i've gone through the same. Just five yrs ago I was jogging alot n firm n energetic. Now I have health issues n feel so out of shape.
    5'3
    Cw:193
    Gw:140 (was 5 yrs ago)...will I ever get there again.

Ive been depreseed n discouraged...thought I'd loose alot before I got to my 40's n its my all time weight ever.
    My 20th anniv. this yr n thought I'd look n feel better. Do I have any hope u think. Need all the motivation possible. Cant struggle by myself anymore.
  • Cornpuff32
    Cornpuff32 Posts: 24
    Options
    So, how's everyone doing. I had a great week two weeks ago, I made good food choices and hit the gym 4 days...last week was not so good, only made it to the gym twice and played ice hockey once. I'm back in the office for a few days, so I'm going to start tracking again, and downloaded the phone app.

I'm also going to join the "Fat and Active" group and post there once in awhile.

oooh, I did try Spinning for the first time week before last, it's awesome, not nearly as scary as I thought...going to try to go once a week :)
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love being active! I am a regular horse rider and have been for the past 7 years, but during those 7 years i've never been the healthiest eater, so not really surprising i'm not in shape. But the first step to really changing was joining MFP and setting myself up for success!