I'm not sore- am I doing something wrong?

Options
So I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred With Weights. I'm using a 10-pound kettlebell, which seems to be just about right for most of the exercises. From what I've read, a lot of people who do JM say they're sore the next day. I'm on Day 6, and I'm not sore. Keep in mind, this is the first real strength training program I've done in years. I'm just wondering if I'm doing it right, or if I should use a heavier kettlebell? Any thoughts?

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    well...if you can manage a heavier weight i don't see why you shouldn't try it. Not everyone's the same. You could be a special case. Naturally when you work something on your body it should be sore (esp. if it hasn't been done in some time). I would say maybe your body has gotten used to the workout but then you should have hurt your first couple of days.
  • will4gzus
    Options
    Make sure the weight in sufficient enough to work the muscle. A very simple rule of thumb is, if you cannot maintain correct / strict form with a weight it is too heavy. You want to work the muscle not injure a joint. So try a heavier weight using that as your guide!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You're probably just a bad *kitten*.
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I have trialed the 30ds because I'm planning on doing it in a couple of weeks. The first time I tried it I was in agony for days, but the second time I tried it, I didn't feel a thing the next day. I guess it may depend on what your fitness level is before you start
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on your previous level of fitness. Even if you haven't done much strength training before, 10lb isn't a huge amount (tho' for some it will seem so). Just keep making it harder til you reach your pain point :-)
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You must be the Chuck Norris of 30 Day then..lol.
  • aldaerr
    aldaerr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha, thanks. I think I'll step my kettlebell up to 15 pounds. I'm still struggling a little bit with Turkish Get-Ups and Windmills, so I can still use my 10 for those. We'll see what happens. I appreciate all the encouragement. :smile:
  • will4gzus
    Options
    Also rep scheme is a big factor. 10 - 12 reps is an hones workout. Also try slowing the negative potion of a lift. For example, 1-2 seconds to lift, 3-6 seconds to lower!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You should always challenge yourself, but remember: Soreness is not an indicator of progress or growth.