female motorcycle riders?

Options
2»

Replies

• LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    damage has been done... the royal enfield will be mine this weekend. i sat down and fell in love! 1500ccs! yikes, i would be too scared to get the full power out of that engine!!

Don't let that 1500 thing scare you. The bike only has whatever power you GIVE it. Just be easy on the throttle. Just because it has all that power doesn't mean you have to use it but it is nice to have if/when you need it.

That's a nice bike and you look good on it. Enjoy. I would like to suggest that you get the Ride Like a Pro dvd's and get lots of parking lot practice.

I have an 1100. I wanted a Blast (500) but hubby wanted to make sure I had enough power in traffic. I don't regret it. It goes as fast as I WANT it to go. I have had it up to 95 personally but hubby has taken it over 100 with no problem. (That's one of the reasons he now has a Wing and doesn't ride the Buell anymore!)

I have had my license for 6 years and I just took my first solo long distance ride this last weekend. 262 miles.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Nothing sexier than a woman riding on a 1500 CC vibrator!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Honda also made a 450 Rebel for two years (1986 and 1987) before harley threatened to sue them because it looked too much like a sportster. Mine is a 1986 Rebel 450, and I love it. It's also around 400 lbs (with fluids, not dry weight), and I never feel like I'm going to drop it or anything. (I'm only about 109 lbs, myself).

SSPX0198.jpg

and my step-daughter sitting on it:

SSPX0202.jpg
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    The 450 is a good all around size, good for fun or commuting. It's similar in weight to the Hawk 650 from 88-91 and that is a great weight.

JM
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Nice bike!
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    awesome to see so many female riders and thanks for the words of caution.

i did buy the bike new... its only 500ccs and a really old engine style so i cant go above 35 for the first 500 miles anyhow. i do plan on practicing in parking lots in the business area on weekends so i can cruise around and get comfortable with low speed turns, bumps, dips and breaking before i hit the roads for any trip longer than a few miles.

i also plan on lowering the seat so my feet can touch all the way! i saw this bike and decided i couldn't spend $3000 on a used crappy bike when i could have a brand new one for $5000 that i fell in love with the minute i sat on it :) all the more reason to get comfortable slowly and keep all 400 lbs upright :)

-kelli
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    damage has been done... the royal enfield will be mine this weekend. i sat down and fell in love! 1500ccs! yikes, i would be too scared to get the full power out of that engine!!
    Dont pay attention to the ccs. My 250 could pass some of those 1500 bikes. Just dont get one that will flip over if yoi grab the throttle :p
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You are an ambitious lady to learn on a 500 cc bike. I learned on a DualSport Honda CRF 230L (I think that's right model number) last October. That is more of my street bike. I also have a two-stroke, Suzuki RM 125 for off-roading. My husband was a little worried about what I learned on. Even though my bike is smaller--he likes riding it because it is so easy to ride. If I were to buy a Sport Bike to ride, he said I should get a Ninja 250 to learn on. Do what works for you. If you get a big bike, go easy on the throttle.

My little 250 can chug away at 175 km/h. The highway was my friend. Some of the "bigger" bikes are slower. My bfs triumph america cannot keep up. He tried out a few harlies in the 1500 range and they were slower.

I gotta say the little 250 is a fun little bike. Ive taken it drag raci.g and I know a bunch of guys who have been asking to ride mine for years. Its very nimble and fun on turns, you can wheelie it and all thai jazz. My only complaint is the stock tires. They're like rocks
  • JeNn45nFiT
    JeNn45nFiT Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I ride a Yamaha Vstar 1100....I would go with a bigger bike IMO! :)
  • exercisediva
    Options
    Congrats on joining the club of girl riders! dont be afraid of power....my first bike was a GSXR 1000 - i'm a sports bike girl :) it will only go as fast as you turn the throttle! Don't be afraid of a little power between your legs LOL - Be safe!
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    The bike looks great!!! I don't have my motorcycle license - I just ride on the back of my husband's Goldwing.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I tried to learn on a small bike but had better experience going w/ larger bike that ran lower rpm. Might have just been the bike, but I had issues w/ the clutch and take-off with the smaller cc motor. I ended up w/ BMW 650 which suited me pretty well size-wise. Wish I still had it!
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just buy something you're comfortable with (used) you can always upgrade next year. :smile:
    Best advice in this thread. First bikes live hard lives, just 'cuz the rider is still figuring out quite a few things... low-speed turns, not parking on inclines, unsure footing on road shoulders and gravel parking lots, etc...

That said, good decision to go with the smaller displacement. Work your way up in size as you become more comfortable on the road.

Also, dunno what your used market is like out in S.D., but reasonably-used T100s are going for around $4000-$5000 out here in the Midwest. Your dream bike may be closer than you think.

Good luck, don't die!
  • silby8919
    silby8919 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!

I have been riding since I was 5 years old. My first bike was a Honda 50J. My legs didn't even touch the ground when I sat on it.

I am a Harley girl. I have a '95 Road King that is black & chrome(my favorite color).

Congrats on joining the club!! I'm sure you will love riding.
  • markloter
    Options
    congrats on new bike, ride it like nobody can see you and be safe
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!

I have been riding since I was 5 years old. My first bike was a Honda 50J. My legs didn't even touch the ground when I sat on it.

I am a Harley girl. I have a '95 Road King that is black & chrome(my favorite color).

Congrats on joining the club!! I'm sure you will love riding.

That's a lot of bike!
  • Nanamo2012
    Nanamo2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new licence sweetie, nice bike. Rode big bigs in my hayday, GPZ 500 suits me fine now. Safe riding.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Also, dunno what your used market is like out in S.D., but reasonably-used T100s are going for around $4000-$5000 out here in the Midwest. Your dream bike may be closer than you think.

Good luck, don't die!

they are expensive here... year round weather will do that for us... besides- i got my Royal Enfield for 5000 new... i hope to not die, i ride like a grandmother, and am practicing my low speed turns, dips, bumps and quick stops in the business park when no cars are there on weekends :)
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Congrats !! I love mine.