Yoga - classes as a "noob"

Options
So here it is, I'm contemplating starting yoga once my exam's over and done with, partly for the relaxation, partly to build in flexibility with my strength (building).

There are classes already running at my local gym but I'm wondering, seen as I have 2 months til I have the time free enough to go to a class, should I be doing a beginners DVD at home / Wii fit moves?

Can I go straight into a class without feeling like I'm gonna die or do I need to build up to it?
Also, is the wii fit "yoga" any use in easing me in or is it not very realistic?

Clueless & Confused,
C x

Replies

• Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think a class would be great! Find an instructor you like and just go at your own pace. Seeing people around you with good form definitely helps and having a good instructor help you with your positioning. It's a great addition to any routine! Enjoy.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think a class would be great! Find an instructor you like and just go at your own pace. Seeing people around you with good form definitely helps and having a good instructor help you with your positioning. It's a great addition to any routine! Enjoy.

I agree. Best to start with a beginners' class and let the instructor know you're new to yoga. If you start at home, your form may be off and you could end up getting hurt.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    So here it is, I'm contemplating starting yoga once my exam's over and done with, partly for the relaxation, partly to build in flexibility with my strength (building).

There are classes already running at my local gym but I'm wondering, seen as I have 2 months til I have the time free enough to go to a class, should I be doing a beginners DVD at home / Wii fit moves?

Can I go straight into a class without feeling like I'm gonna die or do I need to build up to it?
    Also, is the wii fit "yoga" any use in easing me in or is it not very realistic?

Clueless & Confused,
    C x

I prefer classes with real instructors, you can really hurt yourself if you do the wrong position.
    Just let the instructor know that you are new (usually, they ask), and if it is an advanced class, they will show modifications for beginners.
  • mbw2586
    mbw2586 Posts: 88
    Options
    I recently started doing yoga and had the same thoughts as you. I'm glad I tried it because I enjoy the classes SO much! There are so many different types of people in the class and each go at their own pace. Our instructor shows us modifications to make the poses both easier and/or harder. I don't go to a studio, just at my gym, so I don't know if it would be a different atmosphere.

I hope you give it a try and good luck :)
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I agree. Best to start with a beginners' class and let the instructor know you're new to yoga. If you start at home, your form may be off and you could end up getting hurt.

THIS! My husband finally got into yoga. One of the first things he said was that the yoga on the Wii was different. Yoga in a class will give you the basics, help you learn the flow, and show you how not to hurt yourself. Start with a beginners class. Even though yoga looks all gentle and low impact, if you do it right, you certainly can feel it the next day.

The other thing that's really important is to keep in mind that it's not a competition. Sure, the girl on the next mat over can sit on the floor, wrap her arms up under and through her legs so that she can hold her foot behind her head. But she's got no balance whatsoever. None. Or the guy in front of you can stand in Tree Pose can do it for 15 minutes, but he doesn't have the flexibility to even hold his hands together behind his back.

So focus on you, on what you can do. You'll find your strengths and find what you need to work on. Don't be discouraged that others can do something you can't. After a few classes, the next new person will see you as the person who knows what they're doing.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    any yoga teacher worth his/her salt will make sure you work only as hard as you are able to. Tell them you are new and they should modify things if need be.

I'm so looking forward to getting back to classes tomorrow. enjoy!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    DO NOT start with a DVD. Please.

Yoga is not competitive and you don't have to start a class from the beginning. Just go when you have an hour. Tell the instructor you're new and the rest will take care of itself.

My best friend's sister kept trying to get her to go to classes and she kept declining even though she said she wanted to try it. She told me it was because they were all "advanced" classes and she didn't think she could keep up. I explained to her that there really is no such thing and everyone does yoga to their own abilities. She finally went and loved it.

But doing it on your own when you don't know what you're doing can result in terrible injury. Or at least doing it so wrong that you get no benefit at all.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The great thing about yoga is that it is non competitive. Everyone will be at a different level and you work to your own level of ability no matter what that is. If you choose to join the class in the middle that should be ok. If you use a DVD I would suggest someone like Linda Arkin. She does a lot of explaining. Stay away from the harder work outs like Rodney Yee. Linda does Hatha Yoga which is more about stretching and strength. She has a videotape called Yoga With Linda Arkin Natural Body Tune Up. It is only available on VHS and you can still get it at Amazon if you are interested.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    So much great advice on this thread already.

I agree you're better to start with a class to learn proper from, that you shouldn't be worried, because everyone works to their own ability and that it is great exercise.

The thing I would add is to maybe do some reading up on styles (Hatha, Iyenager, Ashtanga etc) before you start and see what you think might suit you best before picking a class.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I recently started bikram yoga and when I first signed up and paid, they asked if I was new. Then I noticed throughout the class they made a point to say "for beginners..." or help with pointers or even just say "it's ok to take breaks, just try". IMO, a good instructor/class will subtly help you out.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I recently started bikram yoga and when I first signed up and paid, they asked if I was new. Then I noticed throughout the class they made a point to say "for beginners..." or help with pointers or even just say "it's ok to take breaks, just try". IMO, a good instructor/class will subtly help you out.

I've been on and off with my practice for a few years and yeah, there are some times where I just stop doing what everyone else is going and just rest in what's called Child's Pose. A good teacher will support even encourage that, for every student.

To the previous poster's point, there are variations to a lot of the poses, to accommodate varying degrees of balance, flexibility, and on same days, energy. (There's a great book by David Swenson that shows variations of poses in Ashtanga. Yogajournal.com also has some info if you type "variations" in the search box. This will give you a better idea...)

A good studio will have props too. I need a block for some poses and not for others. I'd rather be graceful and take a pose 1/3 of the way with a block than take it all the way, be wobbly in it, and hurt myself.
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Wow guys, thank you :)

I didn't know if I was being a little bit silly in asking the question but the feedback has given me reassurance,
    I think getting the exam out of the way and then trying to go each Sunday (assuming the instructor at my gym is approachable) and just trying to get involved a little will be the way to go.

Thank you

Cx