Strength training without the weights?

Options
I am looking for some strength training ideas but do not have access to a gym or weights. Does anyone have any good strength training exercises that can be done with household items?

Replies

• Jameslemond
    Jameslemond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    resistance bands can work
    pushup or pull ups
    you can use a table chair to do backwards tricep extentions
    for pushup to vary the intensity and target different muscles put your feet in the chair and do pushups at an incline
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    resistance bands as the other poster said and/or a few simple dumbbells on hand can help.

But - "body weight" exercises can be very demanding too - look some up on youtube or other internet resources. You can do a lot with just what you already have on your body.
  • crazyate
    crazyate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can use soup cans or water bottles for lighter weights. On the Revolution they were using empty laundry detergent bottles filled with rocks because they had handles and so you could manage the larger weight easier than using, say, an empty peanut butter jar filled with rocks. They also duct taped water bottles to an old broom handle to make a weighted bar.
  • ajalcazar
    ajalcazar Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. Im sure I can put most, if not all, of that to use. My kids love hanging all over me so I think I may just incorporate them into my workout too so they can have some fun while I exercise.
  • twogirlsmama
    twogirlsmama Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I looked up body weight exercises online and found so man more than I thought there would be. Some of them are super fun for the kids to join in with, like the crab walk, the bear crawl, and ski jumps. I also use my youngest as an added weight for squats and it is teaching her to count. Good luck on your journey!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    resistance bands as the other poster said and/or a few simple dumbbells on hand can help.

But - "body weight" exercises can be very demanding too - look some up on youtube or other internet resources. You can do a lot with just what you already have on your body.

Yes, this ^^ Ever see those Insanity infomercials? Insanity uses no weights other than body weights. But you don't have to spend money on the DVDs. You can find most of the same moves online.
  • pmdhardy
    pmdhardy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands even at work.. on my break i use them in my office. And they really tone your arms if you work at it.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were laughing the other day, he told me he was benching 60kgs at the gym, I told him I was doing more than him since I was pushing up my body weight plus my toddler on my back. HAHA I win :laugh:
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I've been looking for body weight and resistant band exercises. I have found this website which seems a good starting point:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters... Body Weight exercises are quite effective as well. I don't have a gym membership - never have, but I still am able to put together some great workouts at home. Also you don't always need actually weights there are many household items that you can workout with.. or even just doing some exercises with your kids.

There are SO MANY workouts out there that dont require equipment just search Youtube and google and you are sure to find some great options!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I was about to say checkout Youtube. FREE is my FAVORITE WORD!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    push-ups (a lot of variation such as: standard, wide, military, incline, decline, etc) have your kids sit on your back
    Pull-ups (just need something you can grab on to)
    Squats and lunges (grab something heavy, put it on your shoulders and go to work)
    chair dips (have your kids sit on your lap to add resistance.
  • booyatribe
    Options
    you can find anything on youtube
  • iloveseattle
    iloveseattle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips /suggestions for buying resistance bands? I just looked on Amazon (in the UK) and there seem to be a lot of variations on a theme. Do I just need a piece of stretchy rubber, or are handles/ankle straps, carabiners etc an added advantage??
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments. Im sure I can put most, if not all, of that to use. My kids love hanging all over me so I think I may just incorporate them into my workout too so they can have some fun while I exercise.

My brother often benchpresses his four year-old :p
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Orpheus... got these from Amazon..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piece-Resistance-Bands-Set-Instruction/dp/B004G9TNCM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333460033&sr=8-2

And have 2 of these on order..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006VWDVQ6/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

This company will give you postage discount if buying more than one of the same item...Just make sure you email them first..
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have been doing EA Active-on Wii, it uses resistance bands and lots of lunges. My legs and arms are getting firmer all the time! I can even do a "real" push up or two now :)
  • wlgreen379
    wlgreen379 Posts: 104
    Options

THIS!

there is also the Angry Bird Workout posted on Nerd Fitness. It is a full body killer. I did it yesterday and it hurts to type right now.

Do as many of the following as possible:

Body Weight Squats
    Push Ups
    Bent Over Rows (Use a milk jug, your child, whatever)
    Plank as long as you can

I make this into a circuit, max out on my first rotation and then try to max out on my last two as well. You can't do this daily, but I bike on my off days and rest on Sunday.