Energry Drinks & Weight Loss

Options
aj_31
aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
Does anyone drink energy drinks on a regular basis and still have success with their weight loss? I work an office job and sit at a desk all day. It is so darn slow and quiet lately that I feel like I could literally fall asleep at my desk. I like the lo-carb or low cal drinks but i'm just wondering what others thought of them. I know they aren't the best but they do help.

How does everyone else keep their energy levels up all day long?

Replies

• Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    i snack on protein bars for energy. I Try to cut back on high carbs at lunch.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Does coffee count as an energy drink? if so then yes :)
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've recently cut out the energy drinks. I noticed I was almost becoming dependent on them, and even on the no sugar drinks I would crash when I left the office. I'm in a similar situation, sitting at a desk all day. If I find myself getting sluggish, I will get up and go walk up the building stairs a time or two (it is only 7 flights of stairs) to get the blood flowing. I usually feel awake after that. And I'd much rather become dependent on stairs to stay awake than energy drinks (plus it is cheaper!).
  • Dominicanbeauty
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I do also have a desk job and sometimes I feel like falling sleep. I have found that Green tea does it for me. I drink it everyday around 3:00 pm and it gives me energy for the rest of the afternoon. I am doing Insanity and green tea has helped me a lot with the energy levels. I hope this helps and good luck in you weight loss journey ! :smile:
  • Jessicapages1
    Jessicapages1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am ADDICTED to Monster's Absolutely Zero! I need to cut back but feel like I NEED one everyday! Helps get me past that 2-3pm part of the day where I feel sluggish.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    I've heard that plain coffee or tea are the best caffeine sources while losing weight, but I can't stand either. I really need my cold caffeine (aka soda). Being a large male, I'm able to budget in that 16oz Amp and still have enough for the rest of the day. The 5hr energies are 0 cal, but about $3. I've also heard that eating an apple helps too. Another thing is working out hard in the morning. I've found if I can get up early and get a really good workout in before work, I feel much better through the day.
  • aj_31
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah I would hate to become dependent on them too. Its so hard to have energy in this office. I feel like it sucks the life out of me. On my lunch hour I go and walk or bike for 30-45 min just so I can make it through the afternoon even though I'm going to the gym after work as well. I know I need to work on getting more sleep as well but this job is so damn boring.

I did buy some green tea pills and I was hoping those would boost my energy but I really haven't noticed a difference when taking them.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I was 18 and 19, I would use them (unintentionally) as meal replacements. I lost weight ridiculously fast. But then again, I was a lot younger. The amount of sugar is kind of a turn-off now.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I use a product called, "SPARK" which is through ADVOCARE!!! It is a GREAT company and they have me hooked. I am looking forward to doing my second 10 day cleanse in 3 months the Monday after Easter. I felt AMAZING afterwards. It's on the net so if you want to look just go to www.advocare.com
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I gave them up. Don't want kidney stones
  • aj_31
    Options
    I use a product called, "SPARK" which is through ADVOCARE!!! It is a GREAT company and they have me hooked. I am looking forward to doing my second 10 day cleanse in 3 months the Monday after Easter. I felt AMAZING afterwards. It's on the net so if you want to look just go to www.advocare.com

I had a friend use this. She said she lost about 10 lbs from it and it made her feel better. But she also doesn't work FT and when she does work she's at a school so she's moving around more. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I no longer drink them, but for energy you could try 5 hour energy shots, green tea and b12 vitamins...all provide energy!

Best of luck!
  • aj_31
    Options
    I've heard that plain coffee or tea are the best caffeine sources while losing weight, but I can't stand either. I really need my cold caffeine (aka soda). Being a large male, I'm able to budget in that 16oz Amp and still have enough for the rest of the day. The 5hr energies are 0 cal, but about $3. I've also heard that eating an apple helps too. Another thing is working out hard in the morning. I've found if I can get up early and get a really good workout in before work, I feel much better through the day.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try eating an apple every morning to see if that helps. Getting up early to workout isn't really an option. I already get up at 5:30 and I really can't get up any earlier.
  • aj_31
    Options
    I no longer drink them, but for energy you could try 5 hour energy shots, green tea and b12 vitamins...all provide energy!

Best of luck!

Just took my green tea and b12 pills. We'll see if that helps any.
  • briguy71
    briguy71 Posts: 2
    Options
    My wife also uses advocare products, and is very happy with spark. She has completely cut out all the soda she used to drink because of this product as it gives her a much more steady energy level. I have tried a couple in place of coffee and would have to agree that they seem to work fairly well. Good luck

quote]
    [/quote]

I had a friend use this. She said she lost about 10 lbs from it and it made her feel better. But she also doesn't work FT and when she does work she's at a school so she's moving around more. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!
    [/quote]
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I only drink them if I'm driving a long way (e.g. 10 hours from nor cal to Vegas).
  • tfancey
    tfancey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I honestly drink two Rockstar Sugar-Free a day.. I am dependent on them and I can't deny that. Have I still lost weight? Yup. Do I wish I didn't drink them? Yup.
    My goal right now is to quit them as of April 24, and I am currently in the process of getting down to drinking one a day by replacing with a cold green tea, with lemon juice and cranberry juice. It is hard.
    I don't know if they affect weight loss but I do know that they are addictive!
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    i drink celsius before my morning workout- that's my only energy drink... unless i'm really falling asleep at my desk- i'll have a coke zero. i love the rockstar drinks but i've stopped drinking them. i have found that a cold cup of water and brisk walk- i just walk quickly down the hall and back- and that gets me up a bit.

i get up at 2 to hit the gym before sitting at my desk at 5 am- so by noon i'm usually ready for a nap but water and a walk get me through to 1:30 and then home to take care of kids till bedtime!
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I drink a cup of black tea or coffee a day, sometimes with cream... I know, fat. I do like tea though and might try drinking green tea more regularly.

I made the conscious choice to stop drinking energy drinks even though I love them, mostly because in order to justify it AT ALL I'd have to switch to the sugar-free ones and I HATE the taste of those, and secondly because my bf is addicted to (sugar-free - yech) Red Bull... it costs us at least $20/week and totally not worth it IMO. If I were to buy the regular ones at the same time we'd be between $30-40/week on energy drinks and that's an expense I can't possibly justify.

Every so often I do miss it, though.

Another good way to keep energy going: fruit (for a boost) and nuts. It does work.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I eat 5-6 small meals a day