exhaustion at the end of the day?

Options
Is this something that will change soon? I've only done the strict calorie-counting for the last 2 days (today is the third) but both nights I was EXHAUSTED by 9pm. I feel like I'm not eating enough to sustain myself through a full day.

It was especially bad yesterday because I worked (12 hr shift, ER nurse), by the end of the day I was in complete crash mode.

this is not normal for me.

I'm staying AT or slightly above (like 100cal) my recommendation, so why do I feel like I'm starving?

(and yes, I'm choosing good foods, eating plenty of protein etc.)

Has anyone had the problem of the myfitnesspal telling you to eat less than you should? I mean, isn't my body going into shock from eating (probably) about 2500 calories/day for the last year, and then suddenly cutting back to 1300 cal a day?

So.. I guess my question is, should I taper my calories more slowly? i.e. cut back 100 cal a day until I get to my "Goal cals" or should I just stick it out and my body will start compensating, burning fat etc, and I won't feel like I'm dying by the end of the day?

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Is this something that will change soon? I've only done the strict calorie-counting for the last 2 days (today is the third) but both nights I was EXHAUSTED by 9pm. I feel like I'm not eating enough to sustain myself through a full day.

It was especially bad yesterday because I worked (12 hr shift, ER nurse), by the end of the day I was in complete crash mode.

this is not normal for me.

I'm staying AT or slightly above (like 100cal) my recommendation, so why do I feel like I'm starving?

(and yes, I'm choosing good foods, eating plenty of protein etc.)

Has anyone had the problem of the myfitnesspal telling you to eat less than you should? I mean, isn't my body going into shock from eating (probably) about 2500 calories/day for the last year, and then suddenly cutting back to 1300 cal a day?

So.. I guess my question is, should I taper my calories more slowly? i.e. cut back 100 cal a day until I get to my "Goal cals" or should I just stick it out and my body will start compensating, burning fat etc, and I won't feel like I'm dying by the end of the day?
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My BF is a charge nurse and rarely has time to eat at all, and when she comes home she is beat! I can imagine how hard it is for you! You nurses never sit down! I would suggest having small portions thru out the day, keep them handy at the station to grab and munch. Think keeping your body evenly fuled all day instead of waiting to eat until your about to die of hunger. Plus you might want to up your calories intake for the day because you are running around all day long. So maybe up it by a 100 or so.
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think it is very likely you are not eating enough calories for you. Why not just taper it down more slowly? If you were eating 2500 calories per day before drop it to 2000 and see if you lose. If you don't lose than drop your calories more. Wait a week and see if you are losing. Your body is telling you you're not getting enough so I would listen. Plus if you cut your calories so drastically you don't have any wiggle room when you hit a plateau. If you do it more slowly you can decrease it a little at a time if you hit a plateau.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think regardless of what this website recs..YOU may need more cals
    When I first came to this site i was told I should consume 1290 cals
    I am a VERY active SAHM that never sits down and for me, that was just too low
    So, I started out at 1400, then bumped it to 1500....I lost 22 pounds...so it worked, for me...
    I just started walking on the treadmill and am fine tuning my cals daily based on activity etc

Good luck!
    Kim