What do you think of all this?

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
Lets just say the last few days have been pretty freaking weird, here at work. Thursday I gave in my hours for the last 2 weeks , knowing my boss wasn't going to be in on Friday when I would usually hand in my hours, I thought doing this would get my check deposited in my account by ATLEAST Monday knowing banks dont do payroll on weekends. Well yesterday I got a cute little surprise, NO CHECK!... Thats a whole other story, that still annoys me but wait it gets better, yesterday my boss's husband who Im guessing handles the payroll, wanted to confirm the hours I had written down, saying he had thought I'd left early on this one day and what not I showed him, and hes all idk about it, he left and I went back to my work day. All day it was nagging at me that my honesty was being doubted, so ofcourse I go home to vent.

Then this morning I get up do the normals before work, but decide to check to see if my check was in my account, so I call the bank and its telling me I have all this money in my account im like whoa? That couldnt be right so I go online to check my account, it shows 2 deposits for the same amount in my account. So I tell my mom about it, and shes like hes testing you to see if you will tell them about it. So right away I call my boss's cell no answer, so I decide ill just tell them when I get to work. Well im at work I tell him that it was deposited twice into my account, and should I call my bank and tell them not to autorize the second one. He says no just leave it now, ill have to figure it out. Now I dont know what to do, I have bills that come out of my account, and I dont want it to take from what HE deposited extra.. I feel like now im being doubted and that really bothers me being im honest to a fault.

Sorry just needed to vent.

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Withdraw the extra in cash and give it back to your boss. Get a receipt form him, signed.
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Be careful. This sounds like a tricky situation! It almost sounds like they might be trying to catch you up... I would tell your boss as well as the payroll handler. possibly with another witness in the room so they can't try to say something against you.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    May want to put a stop on the bills that come out of your account, for now. I always chose not to have my bills taken directly from my account because I feel like there will end up being an error of some sort.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had something similar happen to me with my mortgage. Basically, my mortgage got paid, but my account didn't get accessed. No idea (at first) where the money came from. I called both the bank and the mortgage company multiple times. I wasn't looking to steal anything. Both assured me that the books were correct. After spending a decent amount of my own time trying to fix their mistake (which was to MY favor), I decided that enough was enough. They would figure it out.

And they did.

The moral (such as it is) is that you did what was right. You told him. Don't spend into that second check, but you've done what you needed to. I would make a note somewhere of the date and time that you told him, though, just in case. But it'll be obvious what happened, since the checks were likely deposited so closely together. Don't worry about it any further. He'll fix it, or not.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Your boss's accounting skills suck. Don't touch the extra money at all.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I agree - watch your back and cover all grounds. Record everything you've done so far. I would get the extra money out of your bank account and give it to the payroll handler -- in a cashier's check or money order. I would not do cash! And then request a receipt for it. Make copies as well to keep for yourself in case things go wrong.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The fact he says just leave it proves he trusts you I think, noone would risk their money to "test" someone like that. It is an honest mistake and he is probably going to talk to his payroll people to sort it out.

I work in HR - this happens ALL the time.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Withdraw the extra in cash and give it back to your boss. Get a receipt form him, signed.

^^^ I like this better than my own answer. Although I'd give it to him in a personal check, not cash.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If this is an extra deposit, I'm not sure what having your bills taken out automatically would have to do with that, unless your account is regularly overdrawn. Just because you have more money in there than you're supposed to, doesn't change what gets taken out.
    Just balance your checkbook as if that money isn't even in there until the situation is cleared up. And, as others have said, keep working to get it straightened out and stay above reproach.
  • 9tattoos
    9tattoos Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would write a cheque (make sure you make a copy for your personal sake) for that extra amount and give it back to him. Its not your mistake and it may not be his either, that it got deposited twice, but it will come back to bite you on the *kitten* if you don't pay it back. Wouldn't want to see you get hurt for someone else's stupidity, whether its a test or not.
  • ainzerillo
    ainzerillo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Don't handle this with verbal conversations between you and your employer. Put everything in emails and print them out after you send them. Tell them that they deposited into your account twice and ask them how they want to handle it. Put the burden of the situatuation on them. But, make it written communications. If you live in a "terminate at will" state, then it won't matter if he is testing you or not. They can terminate you for any reason. But, if you don't, then you will want a paper trail.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    DO NOT spend a cent of that money!

I would leave it in your account. If you withdraw it now and he has already put in for a reversal, you could end up overdrawn. Tell him if he does not give you an answer within one business day, you will go withdraw the cash and return it to him. Be certain to get a SIGNED receipt from him if you give him cash.
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    So my boss's husband who handles my payroll (being im the only employee) just asked if I was able to contact my bank and see if they can un authorize it.. I called and the bank said there is nothing they can do it, the ACCOUNTant (boss's husband) has to do a reversal, im thinking if he doesnt do that hes just taken that out of my next paycheck.... This is very tricky.......
  • LowKal
    LowKal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me but my Administration just took the money back out without the employees having to do anything. About 50 of us. It shouldn't be an issue. Stay on your toes. This guy sounds like he sucks the big one.