Cardio at the gym--machine of choice?

Options
2»

Replies

• methodless
    Options
    Elliptical, but if they are all in use, the bike, and my next bet is the rowing machine

I can do more on the rowing machine than on the bike, but I need to take breaks for water and I get blisters
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I used to do that but my gym started locking the spinning room when there isn't a class going on! Very annoying...

That sucks! regular exercise bikes don't compare.
  • DeborahStanley
    DeborahStanley Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Treadmill only able to walk (back problem) but manage 4.8 mph alternate speed & incline usually burn about 400 cals in 45 mins. Can't use eliptical as it makes my bad leg go numb but after reading other posts I'm going to try giving the stairmaster a go :)
  • k1ngfl1pper
    k1ngfl1pper Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Cardio for me is usually the recumbent bike, medium resistance for 45 minutes or the elliptical, medium resistance for 20 minutes. I have recently started using something called the Adaptive Motion Trainer - it's like an elliptical but depending on your motion, change change the length of your stride. So whether you want a more stair stepper like workout or a low impact run, both can be done. Pretty neat...
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Elliptical or rower or the AMT machine. If my gym had an Arc Trainer I would do that.

I have a short attention span for cardio so the most I will do is 35 minutes before dying of boredom. Instead I do intervals for every workout. Either with a 1:2 ratio of sprint to rest. I tried a really hard interval last week that I really liked: 12 seconds sprint: 8 seconds rest. This was a really good one. Intervals last for about 20-30 minutes.

I am trying to build up my distance on the rower so about once every 10 days I'll do steady state cardio.

Otherwise I just take a walk and/or do a few rounds on the steps in the park. My neighborhood is hilly, so no matter where I walk to I have a hill on the way home.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Use the Wave machine - for high intensity calorie burnouts ( like elliptical but you go side to side - feels like a ski-action, so why "wave" I don't know! But works for me! Have now worked up to a point where I can do 55 mins, in stages ( 400 cals, then 300, then 200, then 100, straight after one another). However, like all machine workouts, best to vary it when you can.

That sounds like a very cool machine! we dont have that at my gym!

Me either...I want one! lol
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i love biking... so bikes haha
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Spin bikes and Incline Trainer
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Arc trainer or incline elliptical. I can't do the elliptical without an incline, I find my feet go numb after 20 minutes. Normal session is about 30-40 minutes for me on non strength training days, and 20-30 min on strength days (warmup and cooldown)

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose feet go numb. I will have to try to adjust the incline, didn't even think of it. Thanks for the protip!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    -Stair treadmill w/ intervals, 20 minutes.

-Row machine 2000 meters (usually around 10 minutes)

-Stationary bike 3 or 5 miles

-Elliptical w/ high resistance for 10 minutes.

-Intervals on treadmill w/ incline from 5 to 10

Weights and body weight exercises are in there somewhere but you didn't ask about those so.... ^_^

No, I don't do all of these on the same trip....
  • alcala7923
    Options
    I also love Zumba, Im really not a huge fan of the cardio machines I usually do the class my gym offeres, like Kickboxing, step and boot camp. But whenever I go to the gym and there isnt a class I do the stepper for 25 min and do the treadmill for 30 min.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    -Stair treadmill w/ intervals, 20 minutes.

-Row machine 2000 meters (usually around 10 minutes)

-Stationary bike 3 or 5 miles

-Elliptical w/ high resistance for 10 minutes.

-Intervals on treadmill w/ incline from 5 to 10

Weights and body weight exercises are in there somewhere but you didn't ask about those so.... ^_^

No, I don't do all of these on the same trip....

lol! I was gonna say...cardio MASTER haha