staying within calorie limit but going over on sugar,fat etc

Just a quick question. If I stay within the calorie guidelines that MFP has recommended but i go over the recommended FAT,SUGAR,PROTEIN intake level then am i doing something wrong or do i just keep my focus on the calories consumed?

Hope you all understand what i`m asking!!

Replies

• ilyas01
    ilyas01 Posts: 5
    By the way i just started MFP 3 days ago!!
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    I tend to go over on sugar and vit c but stay under for everything else. As long as you are not going over by huge amounts it's not a big problem, but it would be good to work towards bringing those values down, just because it means what you will be eating will be healthier.

It's no good trying to do it all at once, maybe just concentrate on brining the fat levels down, and the others should come down with it. Don't makle the mistake of starving yourself though, you need calories just good ones! :wink:
  • ilyas01
    I tend to go over on sugar and vit c but stay under for everything else. As long as you are not going over by huge amounts it's not a big problem, but it would be good to work towards bringing those values down, just because it means what you will be eating will be healthier.

It's no good trying to do it all at once, maybe just concentrate on brining the fat levels down, and the others should come down with it. Don't makle the mistake of starving yourself though, you need calories just good ones! :wink:
  • ilyas01
    thanks a lot.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It's probably not a problem, depending on the sources of fat and sugar. If you are eating a lot of saturated fat or added sugar (sugary drinks or desserts) then that could be bad for your health. If it's healthy fats from nuts, olive oil, and other unsaturated fat and the sugar is mainly from fruits and vegetables then probably not a problem. Also, don't get so caught up on macronutrients (fat, protein, carbs) that you forget about micronutrients (vitamins, minerals). For optimal health it's generally recommended that you get a variety and balance of foods.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    It will most likely not be a problem as long as your sugars and fats come from healthy sources. Protein is usually a low goal on MFP so I wouldn't worry about that one.

If you are getting your sugars from healthy, fresh foods (fruits for example are high in them) than you will be ok as long as you don't have a medical condition that requires you to keep an eye on it. Fat as well, as long as it's from healthy sources (healthy oils, nuts, avocados, etc) and not from things like fried foods you will be fine.
  • ilyas01
    Can i just say thanks in advance to everyone who replies. :smile: