Alli Weight Loss Product

Options
Would like to know if anyone has tried the "Alli" weight loss product and how you fared. I have been considering it but from what I have read and researched about it, I'm not truly convinced it's the right way to go (in the interim I have rejoined WW and have had good results - so far). Would appreciate any insight - good OR bad. Thanks.

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I heard that it makes you poo surprise grease.

Don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of surprise butt grease.
  • mahaley70
    Options
    Alli is a HORRIBLE product! I had tried it about a year ago and yes, unless you cut virtually all fat out of your diet, it will give you a real shock. Uncontrollable and horribly foul BM of grease! Cutting calories, exercise more and stay positive is the only way I have found to truly make a change for good and get my weight down.
  • sandradaisy
    Options
    Have not tried it myself but have heard the same, uncontrollable diarrhea, if you dont cut put every bit of fat....
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Alli may cause damage liver failure.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37360499/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/popular-diet-drug-gets-liver-damage-warning/#.T2J9xsUgdzs

I heard from my brother in law, they pulled all the Alli off the shelf to
    put in liver warning. My brother in law is on it or he was, he lost 10% of his body weight in a month.
    He made remark " it made me sick (I think he meant too many bathroom trips) but I don't care I'm losing weight".
    I know he was really sick the 1st 2 days he took the product.

Ask yourself this question
    Do you want to get healthy or you just want to lose weight?
    and make your own decision.
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    OH YIKES! Think I will stick with a healthier, apportioned diet and consistent exercise rather than frequent bathroom trips and illness. Thanks for the feedback.
  • shunta864
    shunta864 Posts: 52
    Options
    I myself have been taking the product for a few months now. So far 45 lbs lost. You will have extra poops with orange like grease in it. It didn't make me run to the bathroom or anything of that nature. If you do eat alot of fat though you will have that problem not too long afterwards. You can eat up to 15g of fat each meal which I have no problem with. The reason you can't find alli at the moment is because there is a shortage in the main ingredient. There are still a couple of stores in my area that have some on the shelf so nothing about a liver warning. This is just my own experience. If you can lose the weight on your own do so but others like myself have tried and went nowhere. I really hate it when other folks on this website bash or try to judge another because others use weight loss supplements. We're trying to lose weight just like everybody else on this website!! But in my opinion its a great product.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm using it now. I'm happy with it. Haven't had bad accidents (I hope to never have!), but I do control what I eat. I'm paying attention to my fat intake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I myself have been taking the product for a few months now. So far 45 lbs lost. You will have extra poops with orange like grease in it. It didn't make me run to the bathroom or anything of that nature. If you do eat alot of fat though you will have that problem not too long afterwards. You can eat up to 15g of fat each meal which I have no problem with. The reason you can't find alli at the moment is because there is a shortage in the main ingredient. There are still a couple of stores in my area that have some on the shelf so nothing about a liver warning. This is just my own experience. If you can lose the weight on your own do so but others like myself have tried and went nowhere. I really hate it when other folks on this website bash or try to judge another because others use weight loss supplements. We're trying to lose weight just like everybody else on this website!! But in my opinion its a great product.

The problem many people (myself included) have with "weight loss" products is that these do NOTHING to promote permanent CHANGE. Logging food and regular exercise is about making "lifestyle changes" NOT about this drug or that.

You are NOT like everybody else here, some people - yes. Many of us are trying to change how we eat "for the rest of our lives." Alli will not help me do that. Meal replacement shakes will not help me do that. Low carbs will not help me do that.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How is it benefiting you? If you can stay within 15g of fat, couldn't you just do that without taking the product? Or does it do something else I'm not aware of?
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years back, I think when I was 19 or 20. Yes, it makes you have anal leakage if you don't cut the fat out of your diet. I used it for about a month and had to stop because I was constantly afraid of having an accident. I even wore a panty liner while taking it, which felt more like I was wearing a diaper. :sick:

When I was 21 I was diagnosed with a fatty liver. I don't really think it was related to the Alli, but I won't risk taking it again.

Also I never do well on very low fat diets, I feel really depressed on them. If I were to take Alli now, I don't know what would happen considering the amount of fat I eat!

Do some research on it... but in my opinion it is another really expensive pill that is unnecessary.
  • Dogwalker1989
    Options
    Depends how bad your diet is to start off with.

When I looked into it stopped you from absorbing about 25% of fat you eat.

Seeing there are 9cals roughly per each gram of fat you eat and the typical recommended amount of fat is 70g. If you ate took all 3 pills and ate normally you'd then daily you'd not absorb 157.5cals worth of fat (17.5g)

And I guess that's just the food you eat at meals.

Not sure if for £1 per pill is worth 157cals over the course of the day.

But most people who are dieting wont be eating 70g worth of fat anyway, so the amount of calories Alli would help them avoid would be even less.

Could work quite well as a deterrent though. Eg. If I eat this it'll cause diarrhea.
  • Sal4kids00
    Sal4kids00 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have used alli before and lost 60-70 pounds... It doesn't cause problems unless you eat too much fat... They give you examples of diets and tell you what will happen if you eat too much fat... I gained weight after my pregnancy with my twins... And I was thinking of using alli again, but they have shortages everywhere....
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks one and all for your candid feedback both pro and con. For now, I will stick with WW by making some lifestyle changes that seem to be working for me. Here's to everyone being successful at whatever weight loss path you choose.:flowerforyou:
    Cheers
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I took it for a short time and noticed that my mild eczema was getting significantly worse, googled around and found some thing about a woman who had a crazy bad skin reaction to it that is irreversible. I decided not to take any chances.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i took it for a while, and i never had the greasy poo problem... but i was mindful to keep my meals to 15g fat or less as the product recommends.

i think it's basically farce. it claims to help you lose weight by eliminating the fat from your diet, otherwise you'll shart in your good underwear! but the loss is mostly by what you do. you lose weight with it because by cutting fat, you ultimately cut calories.
  • IsabelAngel
    IsabelAngel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I see your post was from 3/15, and don't know if you decided to try Alli or not. I used Xenical years ago when you could only get one RX on your insurance (when you ran out, you ran out). I know that Xenical was a bit stronger, but it is the same product. Xenical came with a phone number to speak to a registered nurse before starting the product. What was stressed was that you had to monitor the amount of fat you consumed daily. If you exceeded the recommended amount of fats, you would end up with problems. The products removes fat from your digestive track...the more fat you ingest, the more you will eliminate. This is ok if you are home, or close to a bathroom when it happens, If not, you will end up having a Tyra Banks moment. Fat will eliminate from your system like water, so you must be prepared. If you must use a public restroom (like at work) be prepared for the fat to leave an embarrasing ring around the bowl afterwards.
    I am not saying the product doesn't work. I lost a lot of weight rather quickly. But it does have side effects that are not pleasant. Changing your diet and exercise routine is the best route to go. If you are using this app, you are headed in the right direction.
  • herewegoagain1972
    Options
    i have started using alli last week and already lost 6lb, i havent got a lot to lose but suffer from major lack of willpower. If nothing else alli gives me that willpower, or fear of the 'treatment effects'. I dont really care which, at the end of the day Alli is helping me do what no other diet has done before. Yes it is expensive but so far worth it.!! also by using my fitness pal, it makes it so easy to keep an eye on what i am eating and helping me to understand the good and bad in food.