Kettlebells... what size please?

Options
Good afternoon,

I've been doing strength training for about six weeks, am noticing great body changes but would like to do some additional stuff at home. I really like Kettlebells and my gym doesn't have them for use other than for circuit training.

So... I'm going to buy one (I have 2 x 2kg which are far too light). What size would you recommend?

I'm currently doing this strength training:
Lat pulldown - 30kg
Seat row - 27.5kg
Leg press - 45kg
Chest press - 15kg
Shoulder press - 5kg

The last two are really pathetic, I know, but I'm struggling with them even though I think my arms are strong.

Any advice would be great, thanks very much. :bigsmile:

Replies

• dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    First of all, I just wanna say hooray for you using KB's. You're awesome.

Most people trainers recommend that women start off with a half pood weight. The old school russian KBs were measured in poods which were 36.11 lbs. So anything around 15 or 16 lbs is a great starting weight.

Also, can I recommend a couple of sites for you to check out?

www.dragondoor.com and www.artofstrength.com are great resources for KB info.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the site recommendations, I will have a look at those. It was Angie Dowds from the Biggest Loser (UK) who I saw using them and they seem so effective for overall core strength.

Thanks again for replying. :flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why not just use the ones at the gym?

i regularly take equipment from one part of the gym to another. i used to get funny looks from the staff but then they realized that i was putting stuff back when i was done with it they didnt care
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    They don't allow it - I asked. They keep them in the office for circuit training only. I don't understand it but rather than be defeated, I'm buying my own!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    They don't allow it - I asked. They keep them in the office for circuit training only. I don't understand it but rather than be defeated, I'm buying my own!

Eh, you made the mistake of asking first. lol. Unless they monitor you using them or something, I'd just ask for them, and go do wtf I want with them.

For home kettlebells though, I believe there are several that have a way of adjusting weight. I think this would be the most economically viable option since your strength will increase and you'll need to up the weight as time goes on.
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think you should get the adjustable weight kettlebells, so you wont get stuck with weights that you have progressed through in your strength training. Jillian Michaels from the Biggest Loser in the US has adjustable kettlebells that are available on Amazon or any website. It is pricey but its better than buying several kettlebells in the long run.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    First of all, I just wanna say hooray for you using KB's. You're awesome.

Most people trainers recommend that women start off with a half pood weight. The old school russian KBs were measured in poods which were 36.11 lbs. So anything around 15 or 16 lbs is a great starting weight.

Also, can I recommend a couple of sites for you to check out?

www.dragondoor.com and www.artofstrength.com are great resources for KB info.

I agree - artofstrength and dragondoor are both great.

There is a video on youtube by Tracy Reifkind that is the best I've seen on how to choose the right size kettlebell. If I knew what I was doing I'd embed the video, but unfortunately I don't.

Anyway, the title of the video is "How to chose the right size kettlebell". The channel name is "MarkRif". "Choose" is misspelled in the video title - this actually will help to find the video.