Tomato-Lentil Curry Stew (Vegan)

Options
Kaecklund
Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
Yummm! Made this last night - love the flavor!

1/2 cup dry lentils
1 cup water
5 ounces stewed tomatoes
1/8 cup chopped onion
2 stalks celery, chopped, with leaves
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Bring the lentils (I used green) and water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add remaining ingredients and cook for 45 minutes. During the last 15 minutes add the curry powder.

I tripled the recipe and I'd say it made about 8 servings (estimate). It came out to be about 100 calories/serving, 0g fat, 9g protein. This is a rough estimate as i don't know exactly how many servings it made - I have a big container in the fridge :)

Replies

• Suzannelynette
    Options
    That sounds really yummy. Thanks for posting!
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Mmm sounds delicious! :)
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Is it very spicy?
    I am trying to cook more Vegan dishes and my bf loooves spice.
    I am clueless about spices.
    Lol.
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Also, do you think you could convert this to a crock pot recipe?
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I love soup and this sounds great!! I will for sure give it a try :) thank you!
  • Kaecklund
    Options
    Also, do you think you could convert this to a crock pot recipe?

I thought about this while making it - I guess it could be a crockpot dish, but I'd definitely cook it on low. Hopefully the lentils won't turn out "mushy." Worth a try! Also - the dish is not "spicy" as in hot. It just tastes like curry. It's "spicy" as in flavorful.
    The reason I tripled the recipe is so I could use the entire can of tomatoes w/no waste (I already had tons of lentils on hand).
  • Kaecklund
    Options

it didn't come out "soupy" just so you know. The lentils absorbed all the water.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options

it didn't come out "soupy" just so you know. The lentils absorbed all the water.

Hmmm that sounds like something to put over Quinoa then. ;)
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Bump
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Thanks for that note, I was going to say sounds pretty watered down to be a stew.

I just made about 14+ servings (4 ladles a serving, 62 cals) of spicy cabbage soup last night but I have copied this recipe down to try when I finally hit the bottom of the pot, perhaps in 2013, LOL!