Don't Let Age Stop You

Options
L00py_T0ucan
L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
Not my Success Story, but a Success Story nonetheless...

NYTimes article: After Late Start, Runner is Speeding Through Records

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/02/sports/runner-kathy-martin-60-is-speeding-through-records.html?_r=1

- - -
Interesting article about super speedy 60-yr old runner, Kathy Martin.
I'll think twice the next time I want to cry about my creaky knees... :laugh:

Replies

• sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hope to be still running in 9 years...51 now. :wink:
  • tawnysmom
    tawnysmom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That was a fantastic story. I am 52 and just starting to be able to jog for 3 whole minutes. I don't think I will ever win races but, man, would I ever like to run them. Great inspiration. Thanks for posting.
  • smoten
    smoten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I was feeling a bit discouraged with my running progress. I started just last year at 40. busy schedules, injuries, illness and life in general sometimes made my progress slow. I just got up to 5 miles and my speed is improving each week so i was really happy, until my 24 year old niece just decided one day it might be fun to run and 2 weeks later she's logging 6 miles. AARRRGGHHH :noway:
    When im logical i realize she has almost no daily responsibilities and youth is on her side and it isnt fair to compare my own experience to others. Its not a huge deal but i felt like my accomplishments were not as great as i thought they were.
    Anyway, i realize i am only competing with myself because running is the one thing in my life that is just about me. LOVE IT!
    This story was inspiring. i wish i wasnt tied to this desk all day, i would definitely be out there running. :smile:
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Anyway, i realize i am only competing with myself because running is the one thing in my life that is just about me.

^ but exactly! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I remember reading a story last year about an 80+ year-old woman who completed the NYC Marathon after starting to run THAT YEAR. I tried googling the story & couldn't find it....but I did come up with this one about a 92-y/o woman who finished the Honolulu Marathon last year(you go Gladys!!!).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/05/oldest-woman-to-finish-a-_n_844972.html

I love reading these stories. As an older runner/cyclist I've tried to never let age be an impediment to doing the things I enjoy. It might well be that my best days are behind me in terms of performance but I'd rather look at the positive side--I still love lining up for a running race or tuning my bike for a 50-mile spin. I can only hope I'll be like Gladys and still be crossing finish lines at 92!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!